Starter crunch? - Page 4 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose22 View Post
xshovelfreak, does the new se upgrade come with the ring gear? I have a 07, stock 96" motor and drained my primary yesterday to find a broken tooth in my drain pan. Pulled the primary cover off to find two more teeth inside and and all 3 broken off the starter ring gear.
Hopefully the ring gear comes as an assembly with the SE comp. upgrade.
Also, are any special tools required for the job? Thanks
Ok....my bad, after further review I've REVERIFIED I need to do more research before I open my pie-hole!
I see now that the ring gear is behind the clutch and the compensator is mounted on the crankshaft and that it couldn't possibly come as an assembly, unless of course, I walk into the dealer and purchase a new bike.
Big thanks to everyone for keeping this forum filled with great information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Grey beard

Travel limiters in your tappets will also help with this problem.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose22 View Post
Ok....my bad, after further review I've REVERIFIED I need to do more research before I open my pie-hole!
I see now that the ring gear is behind the clutch and the compensator is mounted on the crankshaft and that it couldn't possibly come as an assembly, unless of course, I walk into the dealer and purchase a new bike.
Big thanks to everyone for keeping this forum filled with great information!
Look at it on the bright side. When you're in there doing the ring gear, do the compensator too, and you're good for a lot of miles trouble free. At least on THAT side of the bike.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Grey beard

I still don't understand how a compensator fixes this problem.

My 2005 was notorious for the starter kick back and it had the older (good) style of compensator. I know my problem was associated to the higher compression. This would only get worse when hot when the bike had a chance to heat up the trapped mixture before I could hit the starter.

What's different about this starter 'crunch' problem from the kick back that caused Sportster knee and launched plenty of guys tryin to kickstart their bikes?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Grey beard

Nobody knows, or everyone accepts an answer that the compensator is the problem without asking questions?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
Nobody knows, or everyone accepts an answer that the compensator is the problem without asking questions?
I dont know but when i got the "starter crunch" thing i did ask around and some people said that they just changed the starter or replaced the starter clutch and it was fine for them. Since i was dealing with this issue myself, i bought both the starter clutch and the SE comp. Not wanting to spend the $250 for the comp i dove into the starter first. Seemed fine til it got hot and then the crunch came back. Back in i go and tear it down. I replaced the comp and havent looked back. No issues at all anymore. I was told the bad comps will eventually take out the starter. Maybe i didnt even have to rebuild my starter

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
I dont know but when i got the "starter crunch" thing i did ask around and some people said that they just changed the starter or replaced the starter clutch and it was fine for them. Since i was dealing with this issue myself, i bought both the starter clutch and the SE comp. Not wanting to spend the $250 for the comp i dove into the starter first. Seemed fine til it got hot and then the crunch came back. Back in i go and tear it down. I replaced the comp and havent looked back. No issues at all anymore. I was told the bad comps will eventually take out the starter. Maybe i didnt even have to rebuild my starter
I'm just trying to understand if this is more than one problem. In the past we had a burly compensator sprocket. Evo's would starter stall, or kick back (starter crunch), Shovelhead kickers would launch guys when kicking back, Early twin cams with hot rod parts raising compression kick back (starter crunch)....

My point is that this is not a new problem. I've not seen the SE compensator sprocket and my 2005 had the old style compensator. My TC95 would kick back stone cold after sitting all night 1-2 times a week, and the same thing after work. If I stopped for gas or a butt break, I'd get kick back majority of the time. When I had comp releases, I never, ever had a problem. Without comp releases, if I rolled the bike backwards a few feet in gear, never, ever have a problem.

You were right to rebuild the starter, because that sound you hear is the primary chain, basket and starter bendix stopping the engine from starting backwards. The crunch is hardest on the starter gears and bendix.

On my high compression Evo, installing travel limiters in the tappets fixed the problem 99% of the time. My buddy with a 113" twincam ran travel limiters too because his bike wouldn't start with compression releases... In both of these cases the limiters keep the tappet from bleeding down and creating an artificially short cam duration. If I had kept my 2005 RG I would have put limiters in the tappets.

I'm assuming that the crap Twincam compensator used for a few years adds *another* reason to have this problem. I'm just not understanding why. Hence my questions and outloud thinking...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM

Well I've had issues with my starter and primary noise. After reading and doing home work I decided that I'd change to a se compensator. But, one of the parts sellers ( m & m) told me about this new compensator. I just bought it and should be in in a couple of weeks. http://www.mandmcycles.com/detail.as...uctNo=MM002844
2009 Hot Red Sunglo, 107 build, S&S 551 cams, heads polished and ported, Vance & Hines Dresser Duals, Vance and Hines 4" rounds, REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE ems, Bad Seed bars, J&M amp and rokkers speakers, Sony DSX-S310, progressive 940's
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Also bought a Hayden tensioner. So I've just replaced the starter clutch and with these other parts, I should be set for awhile, until I find more Harley defective parts. I have an 09, and usually got a new bike every 2 years, but with all the mods and upgrades I've made, I just don't want to start over. That's going to eventually be a problem for Harley . I can't be the only one.
2009 Hot Red Sunglo, 107 build, S&S 551 cams, heads polished and ported, Vance & Hines Dresser Duals, Vance and Hines 4" rounds, REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE ems, Bad Seed bars, J&M amp and rokkers speakers, Sony DSX-S310, progressive 940's
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Grey beard

I still don't believe the compensator will fix kick back. I researched the compensator problems with the 96" and up and all I ever found were issues with excessive wear and noise. The compensator in my 2012 is sure as hell loud so that backs that up.. lol

Harley went to auto compression releases in the 103's for a reason, and It's a safe bet they did it to address the starter kick back problems. Travel limiters work well in my experience, but they can be noisy. Not that the lifters in the 103" aren't noisy at start up already...

Long story short, I hate to say this and I hope you prove me wrong, but I suspect you will still have starter kick back problems with the new compensator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.