Tips for wiring carlini pist apes - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Controls & Handlebars

Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Hangaround

Default Tips for wiring carlini pist apes

Nearing the end of my pist apes install and overall went pretty well, their are some good write ups here on installing bars so I'll just share a couple things i learned on this journey. Getting a method is the hardest part.

First I had access to a scope and the Carlini bars are very clean inside, second the holes are very small (-:

I tried several methods found on the internet of pulling the wires.

i made drawings, took pictures and disassembled the plugs.

I made several attempts at pulling the wires with the pins attached to no avail.

I cut the pins off right at the fitting leaving all cables the same length, ordered 8" extensions which was plenty. After pulling you will have 8-10 inches out the bars.

I purchased an extended TBW cable.(could easily extend your own though)

Pulling the cables is real intimidating and there are so many methods out there. I tried shrink wrapping the bundles tight, lubed the crap out of them and got past the first turn and no budging after that. took what felt like days to get them back out.

A few different approaches all with no luck.

Finally a method that is so easy it took literally 30min a side max.

I started on left side, you will need good electrical tape, 2 80lb peices of weed eater line longer the better i used 25', dawn soap, 4-3" pieces of shrink wrap large enough for bundle.

now i fed the line in both sides, start at the bottom and go up, use needle nose to pull out the drilled hole (for some reason i could not go the other direction) pull the line out leaving a foot at the bottom.

Remove all but 2" of the stock harley sleeve, shrink wrap 3" at top of bundle under the few inches of harley sleeve you left.

sort your wires out of the control so they are not twisted and as you pull wires select the closest wire to the previous wire. take your first wire, tape it to the line i taped about 3" of wire to line, wire pointing towards the hole of course.

lube with dawn and pull, as the first wire comes out of the hole tape your next one on, remove the one at the bottom and pull the slack, do this for each wire and you will barely need to pull they go through like butter.

Throttle side, pull your TBW wire through, connect your trottle and pull the slack out before you begin your second control set, ask me how i know this (-: i pulled the tbw out the end left it hanging pulled my right wires in no problem, put the throttle on expecting to take the slack out....no go....had to pull the right side wires back out, one at a time again easy peasy. Also shrink wrapped the plug for good measure.

after your done, stuff the couple inches of harley sleeve in and it'll be good to go. I but some shrink wrap at the area where the wires exit on the bottom.

In my little TBW debacle I had to pull the right side wires back out, i could not find a nick or scuff on the wires anywhere (i was concerned about that).

the one at a time method sounds painful but it saved me a buttload of time, had i done that to start off with i could have saved hours on the pulling.
84 ZL900
2009 Busa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Hangaround

next time cut all the wires at a staggerd length then you wont have such a large bundle to pull through barely a 3/8 in diameter slide right through
Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 AM

On my bars I had to take that black wrap off and pull the wires through 2 or 3 at a time. I put a protective wrap on where it comes out of the handlebars and at the opening by the clutch and brake. Worked very easy that way.
2009 Hot Red Sunglo, 107 build, S&S 551 cams, heads polished and ported, Vance & Hines Dresser Duals, Vance and Hines 4" rounds, REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE ems, Bad Seed bars, J&M amp and rokkers speakers, Sony DSX-S310, progressive 940's
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Hangaround

Marked for near future help.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Hangaround

By far, the easiest set I've done. You are the man. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Hangaround

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340561551.712800.jpg

Done!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Hangaround

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340561582.141311.jpg

Another pic
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Hangaround

Glad it worked!
84 ZL900