Diagnosed with ingquenal hernia - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Diagnosed with ingquenal hernia

Well, as the title says, I was diagnosed with a "pretty good one" today. Question is, any body out there have/had one and still be able to ride? I'm not lookin' forward to an operation, have heard they only get worse if you don't have the op, I'm a jet engine mechanic and do some pretty strenuous stuff and feel it all the time, especially stooping under the engine and when I ride it's getting pretty noticeable (read painful), not really too painful, but I'm mindful of the "only gets worse" thing.....
I know ya'll ain't doctors....or maybe if some of ya'll are, do you have any first hand advice or concerns?
Thanks in advance,

D

Last edited by DC-3Mek; 11-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Grey beard

I googled it. They say it is pretty common and not a problem for simple surgery to repair. Shouldn't affect riding as long as you don't have to pick up your bike. Painful to cough though.

Report by Dr. Joe...
Sundowner seat
Dobeck EJK
Chrome forks
Heritage bars
ISO grips
Cat free head pipes
SE Stage 2 breather
SE 255 cams
Rivera Taper Lite Pushrods
Tour pack
CB radio
More mods to come

Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM

The surgical repair is straightforward, and frequently done as an outpatient these days. Assuming your have insurance, just find a good surgeon and have it repaired and be done with it.
Best of luck.
Ian
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Life Member

Had mine repaired about three years ago when I pickup something real heavy I can fill it a little you need to take it easy for 6 weeks you will fill pretty good in two weeks but dont be tempted stay off the shark.I talked two a few guys who had the surgery one guy didnt follow the Docs orders busted his repair took him 8 months to get back to work.But get it repaired worked with a guy who went for years with his wore a tight under shirt to help keep it tucked in it finally cut off his bowel damn near killed him had to ware a bag for a year to let his bowel heal so get your but in for surgery before it becomes a emergency the recovery will be shorter and good luck
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Hangaround

If you have to have surgery, find someone who has done the procedure many times and is as skilled a surgeon as you can find. A friend of mine had a very key nerve severed and is now and forever impotent.....just sayin, there are risks like any surgery, but something to be aware of.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Shark of the Month July 13

If you have it now by spring when you ride you should be healed up well enough that hopefully you will not have any problems. And if your deductible is met by now that should help with the bills
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Administrator

If you have the surgery done laparoscopically, you'll be back riding within a couple of weeks. Typically its a fairly quick outpatient procedure performed under general anesthesia.

05 RG 'Lymey'
11 RGU 'Clyde'
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Hangaround

I had mine repaired last December. Outpatient procedure: in first thing in the morning, home by noon. A little tender moving around for a few days, otherwise a breeze. The surgeon advised not to lift anything heavy for six or eight weeks. I could have ridden sooner but was afraid I wouldn't be able to pick her up if I dropped her. Get it fixed. You'll be good as new before you know it.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 PM

As already stated get it fixed, you don't want an incarcerated bowel that would require a bowel resection and in severe case even colostomy if the hernia continues to enlarge. The surgery is well tolerated, outpatient in most cases you will be up and going before you no it.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 PM

As a surgeon that has undergone and routinely performs the operation It is far better to undergo the procedure electively rather than emergently! There is truth in the above comments! The Strength of your hernia repair is the maturity of your scar and not the sutures that hold the mesh in place, thus the need to restrict strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks. Mesh is routinely placed and does provide a much stronger repair, but does pose a slightly higher risk of infection. The operation is performed open and laparoscopically and is outpatient > 95% of the time, older men with urinary retention and severe medical problems may require an overnight stay. The nerve that is at risk with this operation is the illeo-inguinal nerve and may cause a loss of sensation in the inguinal canal and medial proximal thigh or some chronic pain if the nerve is severed or entrapped in scar BUT there is no risk of impotence secondary to this operation! The hernia will continue to enlarge if it is not repaired and hernia repair is the most common operation performed in men. The larger the hernia the greater the risk of incarceration (entrapment of the bowel) and more importantly strangulation (entrapment with compromise of the blood flow). In short get your hernia repair performed by a competent board certified general surgeon, ask some of his prior patients for an assessment of their satisfaction with the results of the care provided!