Starter crunch? - Page 5 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
I still don't believe the compensator will fix kick back. I researched the compensator problems with the 96" and up and all I ever found were issues with excessive wear and noise. The compensator in my 2012 is sure as hell loud so that backs that up.. lol

Harley went to auto compression releases in the 103's for a reason, and It's a safe bet they did it to address the starter kick back problems. Travel limiters work well in my experience, but they can be noisy. Not that the lifters in the 103" aren't noisy at start up already...

Long story short, I hate to say this and I hope you prove me wrong, but I suspect you will still have starter kick back problems with the new compensator.
I dont know but its been about 8k miles since i did the comp and i havent had any issue.

Some people just need a high-five. In the head. With a chair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Life Member

Believe what you want but eventually you will go with the SE compensator or compression releases.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
I dont know but its been about 8k miles since i did the comp and i havent had any issue.
I believe you, but I just don't understand why it helps. If kick back is going to happen. it's going to happen no matter what, compensator or no compensator. That's why compression releases and ignitions that don't fire initially help.

Anyway... I'm just trying to understand... :-)
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
I believe you, but I just don't understand why it helps. If kick back is going to happen. it's going to happen no matter what, compensator or no compensator. That's why compression releases and ignitions that don't fire initially help.

Anyway... I'm just trying to understand... :-)
From what i understand, a bad or weak comp causes slack in the primary chain which in turn can cause the motor to kick back when trying to start and cause issues with the engagement of the starter to ring gear.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaf75 View Post
From what i understand, a bad or weak comp causes slack in the primary chain which in turn can cause the motor to kick back when trying to start and cause issues with the engagement of the starter to ring gear.
A bad/weak compensator can't create slack in the primary chain. Slack is controlled by the chain adjuster. The weak compensator softens the connection between the chain sprocket and the crankshaft. That said, I'd guess the slack chain take up accounts for most of the 'crunch" sound, (that and the one way bearing in the starter bendix being forced backwards).

In my opinion the bad/weak compensator could make it harder for the starter to push through a cylinder on the compression stroke in a similar way that a weak battery does.

So I still don't see new compensator as the "fix". It's like getting a new battery. So it's going to be an improvement.

Bleeding off the pressure induced resistance is a more reliable fix. Which is why compression releases are now standard issue for the big inch motors from Harley.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Life Member

All i can tell you is i had the starter grind, crunch or whatever you want to call it. I 1st rebuilt the starter and it still made the crunch. I then replaced the stock comp with the se comp and all has been great since. Not only did the starter crunch thing disappear, it shifted better, and finding neutral was easier and this my just be me but the bike felt more responsive and just felt better. Im sure the MoCo started putting in compression releases on the motors for a reason but mine is a bone stock 2009 96"er. I replaced the comp at around 19k miles and with 27k miles currently with the factory original battery and shes been without issue. I would highly recommend replacing the stock comp on the bikes with the previous comp design.

Last edited by rlaf75; 11-17-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Life Member

The SE compensator has a different ramp angle and stronger springs then the stock compensator, that is why it makes a difference.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Grey beard

Supposedly my 2012 has the "SE Comp" from the factory. I guess I'll never know of what you've dealt with in the past. Since we're at the same place now. Not to mention I have compression releases. :-)

I do think the newer style compensators are rather noisy...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.