Tricky Road Glide riding - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargenz View Post
Hey Lowmaks, congrats! I'm glad you used your own scoot - doesn't really do any good to do it on a bike you don't normally ride. You have to get over the fear of dropping it.

Don't stop there, though... gotta keep practicing because these are perishable skills.

I will disagree with you on one point, and that is that the bike does much of this for you. It does not. Poke your head into the garage... see, it's doing none of it. It is the rider working in the friction zone, applying a little trail brake, using head and eyes to put the bike where you want it. Make no mistake, these are learned skills. How many times have you seen guys duck walk thru an entire u-turn on a wide street or parking lot? ;-)
++1

Stephen
SEPRT
16" TRSSC Cee Bailey Windshield
Sancho's Wings
Mustang Seat
J & M Speakers
Drago's True Duals
Apparently not as black as I thought...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Grey beard

Congrats Lomaks! Max props to anyone who's taken the advanced course on a big bike. I'm too damned paranoid I'll drop the sucker during the really slow tight stuff. I think I'm a pretty decent rider and my feet are on the boards the instant the I start letting the clutch out. No duck paddling... lol But I know from experience the saddle bag will touch pavement at the same time as the front engine guard. :-(

If I had bag guards or I could do the ARC on someone else's full dresser I'd do it. :-) Actually that made me think of something... how many guys do ARC or ERC with their saddle bags removed? Probably get teased about bein a pussbutt. lol
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
Congrats Lomaks! Max props to anyone who's taken the advanced course on a big bike. I'm too damned paranoid I'll drop the sucker during the really slow tight stuff. I think I'm a pretty decent rider and my feet are on the boards the instant the I start letting the clutch out. No duck paddling... lol But I know from experience the saddle bag will touch pavement at the same time as the front engine guard. :-(

If I had bag guards or I could do the ARC on someone else's full dresser I'd do it. :-) Actually that made me think of something... how many guys do ARC or ERC with their saddle bags removed? Probably get teased about bein a pussbutt. lol
Forget about getting teased. Not your problem.

Also, get over the paranoia and do it. The ONLY way to get proficient with the slow stuff is to do it. On your bike. After all, that's the one you're gonna be riding out in the real world.

With some practice anyone with the desire can move from being a pretty decent rider to a really good rider.

In all of the classes and practice sessions I have attended I have never seen anyone remove their bags. That's not to say you couldn't.
I have only seen a couple guys lay their ride down... and it is slow and controlled so that no damage occurred, not a scratch.

During the slow stuff, as long as you remain in the friction zone (constant throttle just above idle, clutch just providing power to rear wheel and a little trail brake) the bike will stay upright. Folks drop it when they let off the throttle or pull the clutch lever in. You just have to keep power to the wheel - that, combined with a little rear brake, make the scoot want to stand right up. Naturally, you never touch the front brake in the slow stuff.

Go for it... I think you'll be surprised. And then you'll look back and laugh about worrying about dropping it.

You imagine me sipping champagne from your boot for a taste of your elegant pride.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Last edited by pargenz; 11-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I did the Experienced Riders Course shortly after putting the 21 inch wheel on the front. The timing probably wasn't the best, because slow speed maneuvers with the bigger diameter tire take some getting used to. I didn't quite ace the course, but I earned my patch, and more importantly learned quite a bit. I try to practice what I learned often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmaks View Post
..... I did drag a floorboard a couple times just to show them I could, but I try not to make it a habit.
It was funny in our course, the instructor was on a borrowed Heritage, and he couldn't help scraping the floorboards when he was demonstrating techniques. He was trying hard not to, but sparks kept flying. We had one guy dump his Electra Glide, and was given a time-out. Had to go sit in the corner, but he begged to try it again, and they relented. He ended up barely passing. It's a worthwhile course and I recommend it to anyone who's been riding for a while, no matter how skilled you believe yourself to be.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Grey beard

I hear ya and honestly not worried about being teased, that was just a joke...

But I have damaged the bottom edge of a saddle bag when gently laying the bike on the engine guard once (forgot the side stand! - funny story actualy)... So, the fact that I know it can happen nags at me. It's a stupid reason, I admit it and I know if anything it will set me up for a Self Fulfulling Prophecy if I don't erase it from my mind...

I actually believe I could easily pass the ERC and ARC. I've lost a little of my low speed skills over the years and certainly don't practice enough of the weight transfer manuevers, although I routinely do single lane u-turns without a hitch (for example). Although I prefer to do this on my commuter which is about 150lbs lighter.

And this is a side comment... but IMO the feel of the clutch on my 2012 bike SUCKS. Worst clutch on any Harley I've owned, ever. I find it to be grabby and the cable stiction is probably the main issue. I've lubed the hell out of it and it's no better. I'm >< to replacing it with a Barnett.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Grey beard

Took it in 1980 and they had Honda XR 70's for everyone. I made one lap and hated the little bike. Got on my Yamaha XS 850 and had no problem. At that time I had around 35k on the Yammie and knew her well.
Sundowner seat
Dobeck EJK
Chrome forks
Heritage bars
ISO grips
Cat free head pipes
SE Stage 2 breather
SE 255 cams
Rivera Taper Lite Pushrods
Tour pack
CB radio
More mods to come

Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 PM

hey guys I am an msf instructor and at least once a month I hear bet you cant do that on that big Harley,usually from the smart ass of the class.Theres always one know it all who can do this or that on his bike but not the one provided.Usual bet is lunch but i have walked away with cash.I personally like doing the coarse on theyre bike just to show them it can be done.The hard part is putting my 300 pound ass on a 600cc sport bike i look like a bear in the circus
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM

I took the ERC a few years ago on a Yammy 1100 and learned a lot. Just took it again this year on my Glide and I had a great time. I plan to take it every couple years to keep my insurance discount, and I also need it since I occasionally need to ride on military bases and they do require the card.

Still remember the one guy in the class a few years ago... He was a non stop whiner... It was a little foggy/misty when the class started and he complained about getting the bike dirty on the way to class. Then he kept complaining the exercises were going to make him dump the bike. I wanted to ask him why he even owned a bike?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 AM
Grey beard

Sorry I didn't reply earlier...been at work in a cell phone pit. I really appreciate the advice and opinions u guys offered! Some of those posts made me laugh out loud! U guys are a bunch of comedians :P
I love this forum...
Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargenz View Post
Hey Lowmaks, congrats! I'm glad you used your own scoot - doesn't really do any good to do it on a bike you don't normally ride. You have to get over the fear of dropping it.

Don't stop there, though... gotta keep practicing because these are perishable skills.

I just finished a 6-week skills enhancement course last night. It was offered by the Az Precision Motorcycle Drill Team; they offer it at least a few times a year.

I practice regularly with a few friends and a couple of organized groups.
Exercises like Swiss Cross, J-turns, swerving at speed, threshold braking, figure 8, snowman, 90º turns from stop, etc.

I will disagree with you on one point, and that is that the bike does much of this for you. It does not. Poke your head into the garage... see, it's doing none of it. It is the rider working in the friction zone, applying a little trail brake, using head and eyes to put the bike where you want it. Make no mistake, these are learned skills. How many times have you seen guys duck walk thru an entire u-turn on a wide street or parking lot? ;-)
Does ”j-turns” mean what I think it does? In car speak, it's drifting with the e-brake!
I definitely see your point about learned skills, and appreciate that perspective much more since I've read your guys' opinions. I think I may have to count on myself a little more and my bike a little less (figuratively) and pat the correct person on the back.
Once I have more experience on a heavyweight (owned Smokey a year, second bike ever besides V-Rod), I'm extremely interested in more advanced classes, especially if a precision drill riding team is instructing. Those guys are AMAZING riders. I've heard the make you lay your bike down though to make sure you can pick it up