harley wind deflectors - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Road Glide Accessories

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Prospect

Default harley wind deflectors

Picked up a set of harley wind deflectors at the swap meet (no instructions).

these: http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...umber=57000063

mounted them with the big clamp on the engine guard and the small clamp on the gas tank bolt. doesnt fit real well. and don;t see how this placement reduces the wind on the rider.

Have I got them on correctly?

How exactly does the small clamp attach to the tank bolt? I have it on the outside of the rubber cover over the end of the bolt. not very solid.

Last edited by opr1945; 11-16-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Hangaround

On mine, I have the small clamp between the frame and the tank mount. You will notice that there is more warm , or hot, air moving toward your legs when you are moving. I had mine on for a few days this summer, but took them off again, until temps started to get colder
Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Do a search on the forum. There are some older threads on this. I believe the don't fit quite rite on some years but I don't recall what years. Seems like someone on here found a way to make them work.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Life Member

What year bike do you have? I think that in 09 there was a fuel tank recall and some had problems installing the wind deflectors on the 09 models. The small tab on the wind deflectors goes between the fuel tank mounting tab and the frame of the bike not on the head of the mounting bolt. There are other threads on this forum that post pics of the correct way to mount them.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Life Member

You need to remove the rubber covers on the gas tank bolt before installing. There are no instructions included in the package. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststan View Post
You need to remove the rubber covers on the gas tank bolt before installing. There are no instructions included in the package. Good luck.
I have the HD wind deflectors on my bike and the rubber covers are still on my tank bolts so if the deflectors are installed correctly there is no need to remove the rubber tank bolt covers.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Prospect

I have the 2009 RG.

When I searched for harley wind deflectors I got 10 pages of threads.

I did learn that apparently was a recall on the tank mounting. How does one tell if the recall has been done?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Hangaround

Take them and your glide to the local dealer. They are stock on the new bikes. Look at how they are mounted on the new ones and do the same.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Prospect

Okay, I started this last night in the garage with a drop cord light. This morning pulled bike out into sun light. so much easier. I drilled deflectors. I snapped deflectors on engine guards rotated back to rubber covers on tank bolts. put a zip tie on the deflectors. Done. While the didn't snap onto the tank bolts they are not going anywhere.

Now to see if they make a difference.

thanks for help.

Last edited by opr1945; 11-17-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
I have the 2009 RG.

When I searched for harley wind deflectors I got 10 pages of threads.

I did learn that apparently was a recall on the tank mounting. How does one tell if the recall has been done?
Looks like you got the deflectors taken care of but if you still want to know how to look if any recalls are open on your bike you can go to the HD website and take a look. Click on the link and under the "Maintain Your Bike" section there is a place to look for any open recalls.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs