So who else plays in the mud? - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Why was the parks worker mad? Were you wheeling in an authorized area? If not your lucky a ticket did come with the mad worker. I don't know what it is like where you live but here in Washington motorized recreation is always fighting to keep legal areas open cause some dumbass goes Mudding where they shouldn't and then everyone has a knee jerk reaction and they want to close everything down. I've got a TJ that I'm running 38" TSL SX tires on. I love my Jeep too.

Even with a 4 inch lift on your YJ you need to run a slip yoke kit and your going to want lower gears than 4.10. Which engine do you have? With 33" tires you want 4.56 with the 6 cyl and 4.88 with the 4 cyl. But before you spend any money on gears you need to replace the D35 rear axle with a Ford 8.8 or a D44. Then you can change gears. What size tire do you want to run? If your going bigger than 35" then you may want to look at 1 ton axles.
Found out that the trail i was on was supposed to be for horses only.

I have the 6 cyl. I was always told that 4.10s would be fine for 33s. I like my 33s and i really dont want to go bigger than those. If i get into those 4.56s, how will that effect my speed? Right now the jeep is my daily driver during the winter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Grey beard

Well then you are lucky you didn't get a ticket to go along with being stuck. Make sure you know the area your in is a legal area to go wheeling in. If not you could have your rig inpounded and face some large fines.

An example of what 4.56 gears would be like is driving in 4th gear instead of 5th gear. That would be close to having 4.56 gears and driving in 5th on the highway. One of the things you need to remember is larger tires also weigh more and have more rolling resistance. So while 4.11 might bring you back close to stock you need to make up for the larger tires. That is why I said go with 4.56 gears. If you were going to go with larger tires at some point then I would say go with 4.88 or 5.13 gears.

In my Jeep I have a V-8 and auto tranny so I went with 5.13 gears because I knew I would be going with larger than 35" tires. Here is a gear calculator to show you what your RPM's will be in 4th gear.

What kit were you looking at for a 6" lift? I didn't know anyone made a leaf spring lift that tall. Or were you thinking about doing a spring over?

Here is my Jeep.

It has a Dodge 5.2 V-8, 4 speed Auto tranny, STaKs 3 Speed transfer case, High Pinion Dana 44 front axle & High Pinion Dana 60 rear axle, 5.13 gears & ARB air lockers. Nth Degree long arm suspension with air bags instead of coil springs so I can raise and lower the Jeep 10 inches. It was my rehab project after being wounded in Iraq. I would get up and go out to the garage each day to work on it.

www.4x4nut.com
Scar's remind us where we have been they don't have to dictate where we're going.

1997 Jeep TJ SE
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom (Traded In)
2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
2008 Honda TRX700XX
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 AM

I skipped the mud hole on this day and just took the photo op...

I don't venture too far off the beaten path since my old truck is pretty much stock. I did manage to bury myself good on a snow drifted farm road last winter though.

Would love to have a mud truck or Jeep some day.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Well then you are lucky you didn't get a ticket to go along with being stuck. Make sure you know the area your in is a legal area to go wheeling in. If not you could have your rig inpounded and face some large fines.

An example of what 4.56 gears would be like is driving in 4th gear instead of 5th gear. That would be close to having 4.56 gears and driving in 5th on the highway. One of the things you need to remember is larger tires also weigh more and have more rolling resistance. So while 4.11 might bring you back close to stock you need to make up for the larger tires. That is why I said go with 4.56 gears. If you were going to go with larger tires at some point then I would say go with 4.88 or 5.13 gears.

In my Jeep I have a V-8 and auto tranny so I went with 5.13 gears because I knew I would be going with larger than 35" tires. Here is a gear calculator to show you what your RPM's will be in 4th gear.

What kit were you looking at for a 6" lift? I didn't know anyone made a leaf spring lift that tall. Or were you thinking about doing a spring over?
I appreciate the gear advice.

Rough Country makes the 6" suspension lift.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_yj_6.html

I mostly dont want to go over 4" so i can still squeeze in the garage lol

Old 11-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Hangaround

Well itís not a jeep and I donít play in the mud, but it will pull your jeep and few others out if you ever get stuck! We play on the sand. If your ever on the eastern shore of MD and make to Assateague Island, if you see The Blue Whale (kind of hard to miss..not to many 4x4 Winnebagoís on the beach) stop by, we always have extra beer and food
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7304.jpg (91.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman1 View Post
Well itís not a jeep and I donít play in the mud, but it will pull your jeep and few others out if you ever get stuck! We play on the sand. If your ever on the eastern shore of MD and make to Assateague Island, if you see The Blue Whale (kind of hard to miss..not to many 4x4 Winnebagoís on the beach) stop by, we always have extra beer and food
Thats kickass lol!! That thing t looks like the winnebago from Walking Dead.

I do wish to get back home to visit eventually. I was born in joppatown (go ravens!!) so just a transplant out here.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Life Member

I like jeeps but I don't fit into them to comfortably so I rock this. 2001 Ford F250 4x4 V10 Kenne bell Supercharged 10 Psi boost, water alcohol injected. 6" lift 20" weld racing forged wheels, 36' Iroc radial swampers, King reservoir shocks. 430 rears, Tru trace locker in rear and air locker in front. Bullet proof trans 6 bolt billet back torque converter and steel planetary gears. I don't have any muddy pics of it though lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resampled_2011-09-18_12-43-39_122.jpg (102.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Hangaround

Just brought this home today.....it will be the "thrasher" rig when its done.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertkowboy View Post
Not a jeeper...........into IH's......Scouts.....heavy junk iron.

Makes me miss my 69 Scout 800A. I had a lot of fun with it till the body finally completely rotted away.

This is my current off road machine, but will be for sale soon. The only thing I don't like is the 3.08 gears. I'm currently building a M1028 to be my new off roader. Its a beast of a truck. 1-1/4 ton suspension, 4.56 gears, detroit locker in the rear, Spicer trac lock in the front, and diesel.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman1 View Post
Totally dig the 4x4 motorhome. I would love to have one or build one. What axles does it have?

Dana 60 Front & 80 Rear? Lockers? Gears? What engine? If I could convince the wife to go back a few years.............................The older homes can be had cheap and if you have the time and talant can be fixed up pretty nice.

www.4x4nut.com
Scar's remind us where we have been they don't have to dictate where we're going.

1997 Jeep TJ SE
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom (Traded In)
2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
2008 Honda TRX700XX