Tricky Road Glide riding - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Life Member

Also curious about j- turns on bike. After numerous fed and mil driving courses "I do not think that word means what I think it means" as it relates to motorcycles. Also, that was my princess bride semi quote for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Grey beard

There was a guy who worked at a very long gone Harley dealership in the 80's who routinely came blasting into the parking lot on an FLH and would lean on the rear brake and slide the bike sideways then nail it again to go blastin through the shop door. Everyone in the garage would scatter when they heard him enter the parking lot knowing what happened next. Very entertaining and impressive to this young and impressionable 18 yr old. :-)

Maybe Pargenz is talking about a full lock from a standstill uturn? =8^o
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Hangaround

I took the ERC with my '05 FLTR, a few months after I bought it.... not a problem... bike and I did fine.. no worries.
I also took the RLaP-NC class in Greensboro. Again not a problem... the bike works well, and if you keep a "cool head" the class is a lot of fun.

Purists stop reading NOW.
that was your only warning.....

Buddy of mine took the RLaP-NC class with me on his Gold Wing. Another "student" took the class on his son's Honda VTX. We spent most of the day avoiding the fellow on an unfamilar machine, and alas... my buddy dropped his GW. To make matters worse, as the day went on, my buddy got tired, and between the heat, avoiding the VTX, and getting tired, he dropped his bike several times. No damage, except to his ego, and his patience. Finally we were playing "follow the leader" going through the course. Mike dropped the bike (again) with me behind him. I stopped... called his name, and he looked up at me with a "you say ONE word, and I'll kill you !" glare.
I smiled... hit the "kill switch" and stepped off my bike. As my bike laid over... I said... "he(the instructor) told me to do what you did". he laughed... everyone laughed...

and there wasn't ANY damage to my bike.

Moral of the story... don't worry about the class... it's unlikely you can do damage to the bike...
Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Hangaround

Gotta share....
I have been riding for almost 30 years and still struggle with thinking I am going to drop my bike. I completed the MSF course back in 1994 while in the military and learned a lot. Although not close to being a top skilled performer, I got by with my bat wing bagger.

I recently purchased a 2013 Road Glide Ultra Classic and am really struggling with u-turns and sharp turns. The front end is lighter but I don't think I like the handle bars. The front end seems to want to drop to either side in turns.

I am sure there is some adjustments i need to work through as I only have about 250 miles on her with half of that with my wife on the back.

Considering taking a refresher course to build my skills and confidence.

I am 5' 8" and around 155.

Mike
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMike View Post
Gotta share....
I have been riding for almost 30 years and still struggle with thinking I am going to drop my bike. I completed the MSF course back in 1994 while in the military and learned a lot. Although not close to being a top skilled performer, I got by with my bat wing bagger.

I recently purchased a 2013 Road Glide Ultra Classic and am really struggling with u-turns and sharp turns. The front end is lighter but I don't think I like the handle bars. The front end seems to want to drop to either side in turns.

I am sure there is some adjustments i need to work through as I only have about 250 miles on her with half of that with my wife on the back.

Considering taking a refresher course to build my skills and confidence.

I am 5' 8" and around 155.

Mike
It takes some getting used to and practice, but I think you can get good at riding these big bikes if you give it a little extra time. It definitely was a big change from a little V-Rod. I almost put mine down coming into a gnarly driveway full of cars at a 45 degree angle the week I bought it, but I was careful enough I didn't...don't get discouraged, Mike. You'll get it down pat.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkootchNC View Post

<Good stuff snipped...>

I smiled... hit the "kill switch" and stepped off my bike. As my bike laid over... I said... "he(the instructor) told me to do what you did". he laughed... everyone laughed...

and there wasn't ANY damage to my bike.

Moral of the story... don't worry about the class... it's unlikely you can do damage to the bike...
So.. I quickly refered to a drop that caused damage to the read saddle bag (minor I might add).

Here's the deal, I pulled into my buddies driveway and he was standing there. I never got off the bike, just sitting there talkin for about 10 mins... he says, "you want a beer?" Uh, hell yeah. So I immediately lean the bike over on the stand. oops.... what side stand! The bike keeps on leaning and it had way to much momentum for me to stop it, all I did was slow it. Well... the floor board folded up, it came to rest on the engine guard and the edge of the left bag was on the ground. End result, scratches along the entire length of the edge which made contact with the ground, and the rear most edge of the front fender where it touched the ground while lifting the bike back up!

This was a 2005 RG with the low rear shocks. Which I believe is the same ride height in the rear on the new FLTRX. Hence *my* concern...
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
So.. I quickly refered to a drop that caused damage to the read saddle bag (minor I might add).

Here's the deal, I pulled into my buddies driveway and he was standing there. I never got off the bike, just sitting there talkin for about 10 mins... he says, "you want a beer?" Uh, hell yeah. So I immediately lean the bike over on the stand. oops.... what side stand! The bike keeps on leaning and it had way to much momentum for me to stop it, all I did was slow it. Well... the floor board folded up, it came to rest on the engine guard and the edge of the left bag was on the ground. End result, scratches along the entire length of the edge which made contact with the ground, and the rear most edge of the front fender where it touched the ground while lifting the bike back up!

This was a 2005 RG with the low rear shocks. Which I believe is the same ride height in the rear on the new FLTRX. Hence *my* concern...
Did it look something like this? Earned these battle scars a couple weeks ago while taking in the fall colors on the Talimena Drive. The younger me may have been able to hold her up but sadly the older (smarter??) version of myself knows this will not be the last time

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Grey beard

I'm surprised that with the last couple posts, no one mentioned the outrageous price of HD touch up paint. I got some just in case...couple ounces of both colors and the pearl was like 75 bucks if I remember right.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Grey beard

I had a similar incident at 4 AM after the morning ride in the parking garage on the V-Rod. Kicked the stand down too hard and it popped back up...too late to notice. No damage, thankfully. I hoped that HD touring bikes were designed that well. I hear victories don't get damage at all on tip overs, but I wouldn't know.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Grey beard

Did the ARC a couple days ago finally. I learned how to hang off the side of it like a racer to get a bigger traction patch. I was accused of showing off several times that day
Fwiw...dragging boards is easy, but doing it while hanging off the side of this beast is a pucker moment! I was HAULING thru their course lol