17 inch Thunderstar ABS question - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires Section for Roadglide wheels and tires

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Default 17 inch Thunderstar ABS question

Rebuilding an ex cop electraglide into a Roadglide and I am having some issues with the replacement front rim. It's a factory mirror chrome 17 Thunderstar and I am trying to install it onto a 2008 Electraglide police bike with ABS. The wheel came bare so I purchased an ABS bearing and a standard bearing. I am having trouble figuring out which side the ABS bearing installs in. I know it goes on the left side but I can't determine which side is the left side. No directional markings. I removed the ABS bearing from the damaged 9 spoke and it appears that the bearing pocket for the ABS side is deeper. Makes sense because the ABS bearing is physically larger than the standard bearing. Well the Thunderstar has a bearing pocket that is deeper than the other one so it makes sense that the ABS bearing resides there. The only reason I am skeptical is because that is the same side the valve stem is located. That would place the valve stem on the left and every Harley wheel I have seen has the valve stem on the right to facilitate easier access. Long question I know I am just having trouble figuring it out. If anyone knows or has a theory I would appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Life Member

Not sure if this will help or not but here are a couple of notes from the Installation Instructions I found online.

"For Kits 43573-08, 43575-08, 43703-08, 43978-07, 43771-07,
43609-07, 40943-09, 40966-09 and 40996-09:
The left side of the wheel has a machined groove (item 5,
Figure 2) in the hub face and/or DOT markings to identify
it as the brake disc and primary bearing side.
Install the wheel so that the valve stem is on the right side
of the motorcycle.
For Kits 44323-07, 44322-07 and 44282-07:
Install the wheel so that the hub markings are on the left
side of the motorcycle. The left side of the wheel has a
machined groove (item 5, Figure 2) in the hub face and
hub markings to identify it as the primary bearing side."

The entire instructions can be read here.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04065.pdf
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks. That gives me some things to look at tomorrow when I install the bearings.