harley wind deflectors - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Aftermarket Accessories

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Prospect

Thanks. according to that site there are no open or closed recalls on my bike. so I guess tank bolts are as supposto be.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
Okay, I started this last night in the garage with a drop cord light. This morning pulled bike out into sun light. so much easier. I drilled deflectors. I snapped deflectors on engine guards rotated back to rubber covers on tank bolts. put a zip tie on the deflectors. Done. While the didn't snap onto the tank bolts they are not going anywhere.

Now to see if they make a difference.

thanks for help.
If the wind deflectors are installed correctly then there is no need to drill and zip tie anything. I put on and take off my hd wind deflectos in seconds and I never drilled or put any zip ties on the deflectors and I been using mine for over 2 years now.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Mine came with my bike and work great. They just snap in place,
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Hangaround

Found this on page 7 several pics on how they are installed.
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=2636&page=7
Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
Okay, I started this last night in the garage with a drop cord light. This morning pulled bike out into sun light. so much easier. I drilled deflectors. I snapped deflectors on engine guards rotated back to rubber covers on tank bolts. put a zip tie on the deflectors. Done. While the didn't snap onto the tank bolts they are not going anywhere.

Now to see if they make a difference.

thanks for help.
You've done them right - for some bikes, and it has something to do with the tank safety recall, the bolts are too big so the small clamp doesn't clamp on. I did what you did - drilled a hole then zip tied it on, and it is nice and snug.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Prospect

1. I could not find anything the clamp would go around. The tab on the tank is too big. The bushing between the tab and the frame is also to big. The rubber cap on the head of the bolt is about the right size however it does not stick out far enough for the clamp to grab onto it. I Took it off and tried the clamp on the bolt itself but it would not stay. so I slid the deflector closer to the tank and let it rest on the bushing. and then zip tied it. It is probably a little further forward than intended, but it isn't going anywhere either.

2. In the picture linked in post 14 I can see the clamp going under the rubber cover and attaching to something. On my bike everything between the cover and the frame are to large for the clamp to go around. So I just let it butt up against those parts. I don't think it is going anywhere.

Last edited by opr1945; 11-18-2012 at 09:55 PM.