How to lower a 2013 Road Glide Custom - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM

Default How to lower a 2013 Road Glide Custom

Has anyone found suspension replacement that lowers the Road Glide Custom? The notes I find are related to lowering the Road Glide Ultra, but not the RGC. I installed a new Corbin Seat which I love but is a bit wider and net difference is less heel on the road when stopped. I only have 30-31" inseam and need to lower the bike and would like to replace shocks at the same time. Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Lowering a Custom isn't a good idea. It's gonna handle like crap, and won't corner well. They already have very limited clearance (I scrape floorboards daily at stock height), and lowering it more is a bad idea. You're gonna be that guy taking an offramp at 15mph slower than you need to be because you can't lean your bike.

Have the seat shaved. You can make it more comfortable as well as make it fit you better for your height. Not only by shaving it down a bit, but reducing some of the foam around your thighs, your legs will drop sooner, and give you an extra inch or two without actually lowering your butt in the saddle. You can then take the chance to have it contoured to your butt, I like to create a little "bowl" to sit me down into.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Life Member

How low do you want to go and how much do you want to spend? You can get 11.5 inch progressive rear shocks for around 200. Thats 1/2 lower than stock. You could also do lowering blocks in the rear from LA Choppers or a similar company. 1 inch lower for 80 bucks. Probably ride a little stiffer. If you want down further than that you could do progressive drop in lowering springs for the forks for about 150 or the monotubes for about 260. Either kit can lower the front as much as 2 inches. Good luck!

Last edited by RichieRichMRMC; 11-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM

legends air. will drop you 3 inches for parking. and bring you back up so you can ride like normal.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Grey beard

Wow I have a 29" inseam and can flat foot with plenty of knee bend on a Custom. Does that Corbin sit you that much higher or make it harder to reach???
Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
Wow I have a 29" inseam and can flat foot with plenty of knee bend on a Custom. Does that Corbin sit you that much higher or make it harder to reach???
Generally speaking, Corbin seats can add 1"-almost 3" in height, and the foam is so dense that you don't sink into it.

I hate Corbin. Had them on 2 different bikes, got rid of both.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Shark of the Month August 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post
Lowering a Custom isn't a good idea. It's gonna handle like crap, and won't corner well. They already have very limited clearance (I scrape floorboards daily at stock height), and lowering it more is a bad idea. You're gonna be that guy taking an offramp at 15mph slower than you need to be because you can't lean your bike.
Personally speaking, I strongly disagree with this.......

I have monotubes up front set at full drop, which measures out to be just shy of -2.5" and current running air ride out back with a ride hight of -1" (ability to go -3.5" when parked)

With that said, I ride my bike, well, like a bike and pretty damn hard. Up here we ride the hill/mountains to coastal highway 1 to the switchbacks through the vineyards. I wouldn't do anything to my bike that would decrease its handling capablities.......bike looks good and rides/handles even better than stock. Which isn't to hard to do at all. The factory ride on these leaves a lot to be desired!

If you wanted to go lower with your bike, to improve handling and get flat footed. I'd do the following, if I were in your situation:

Front: monotubes, the lowing version will allow you to choose -1" or -2"
Rear: quality shock of your choice in 11.5"
Seat: if needed, have a the nose of the seat narrowed up (even with the frame)

Im 6'1", so I didnt lower my bike so much to be flat footed, i just wanted to lower my center of gravity and love the slammed look Not that I know a whole lot, but from my personal experiences that would be my $.02

Suspension wise, I believe TraceyB has very similar setup. Also without problems, except maybe people flocking to her bike in parking lots to stare
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 AM

I have a set of Burley lowering shocks ill sell ya they are 10.5 inches and they are barely used they came with the bike and they only had 500 miles on them
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBlack View Post
Personally speaking, I strongly disagree with this.......

I have monotubes up front set at full drop, which measures out to be just shy of -2.5" and current running air ride out back with a ride hight of -1" (ability to go -3.5" when parked)

With that said, I ride my bike, well, like a bike and pretty damn hard. Up here we ride the hill/mountains to coastal highway 1 to the switchbacks through the vineyards. I wouldn't do anything to my bike that would decrease its handling capablities.......bike looks good and rides/handles even better than stock. Which isn't to hard to do at all. The factory ride on these leaves a lot to be desired!

If you wanted to go lower with your bike, to improve handling and get flat footed. I'd do the following, if I were in your situation:

Front: monotubes, the lowing version will allow you to choose -1" or -2"
Rear: quality shock of your choice in 11.5"
Seat: if needed, have a the nose of the seat narrowed up (even with the frame)

Im 6'1", so I didnt lower my bike so much to be flat footed, i just wanted to lower my center of gravity and love the slammed look Not that I know a whole lot, but from my personal experiences that would be my $.02

Suspension wise, I believe TraceyB has very similar setup. Also without problems, except maybe people flocking to her bike in parking lots to stare

I agree with goneblack completely I have a very similar setup except air ride outback, I went with the Bitchin Bagger modification to my factory shocks lowered to 11 inches performed at Phoenix customs and love the look and ride. No problems handling the twistes in tn & va.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 AM

I have nothing but wicked corners here and have never dragged a footboard or anything else. I don't ride like a wuss either. Must really have to try hard to drag a RGC. Everytime I think I am going to drag....I don't
2010 FLTRX Vivid Black With Supertrapp Fatshotz, V & H Dresser Duals, PCV, Big Sucker, SE 255 Cams, 12" Wild 1 Outlawz, MadStad 16", HogTunes Amp/5x7 Fairing Speakers, Mustang Wide Tripper W/Pillion, List Goes On And On