Head Upgrade ??? - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 PM

I'd shop around on the net.
Better options for heads than the MOCO.

If i were in your shoes, I'd talk to several headporters with your goals in mind.
Let the porter recommend a head/cam package.
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jesse View Post
I'd shop around on the net.
Better options for heads than the MOCO.

If i were in your shoes, I'd talk to several headporters with your goals in mind.
Let the porter recommend a head/cam package.
Bingo !

Jeff
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Life Member

Still have 2 1/2 years on HD ESP so I i am sticking with HD parts at this time.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM
prodrag1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
I am not going with the Kompressor heads. I decided on a different set of heads that have bigger intake (just over 2 inch) and bigger exhaust valves, I don't have the exact dimensions on the valve sizes right now. The heads are CNC and are ported and I am having them polished as well and they will have ACR's installed too, right at this time I am sticking with the SE 255 cam that I have in the bike but I am having adjustable push rods installed so if I want to change cams latter on it will be easier. I am also having the high compression pistons installed, with this combination I may be able to go to a different cam down the road but this will be OK until the engine is broke in.
not sure who suggested this,or if you came up with it on your own,buts its not going to work very well (S&S .570`s would like this build)the 255`s are very low end end torque cams & the bigger valves will kill any low end power (mid-high RPM like big valves)the 255`s wont like tons of compression either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Engine Expert

I agree with prodrag.........
PRO-CHARGER--TRASK TURBO--DBW DRAGULA 2;1 EXHAUST--DBW SUPERCHARGE SERIES EXHAUST--RUSH EXHAUST--HAWG WIRED--AIM CLUTCH--FEULING--POWER COMMANDER--THUNDER MAX--TTS MASTERTUNE--95" 135"ENGINE BUILDS & KITS--CNC HEAD WORK- DBW CRANK WORK-- DARKHORSE CRANK WORK--REVOLUTION PERFROMANCE--TMAN CAMS--DYNO TUNING-- BUILDS FROM 75 HP TO 600 HP

New logo by Chainsaw Graphics.
Drago's Bike Works 815-765-1790
www.dragosbikeworks.com
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrag1320 View Post
not sure who suggested this,or if you came up with it on your own,buts its not going to work very well (S&S .570`s would like this build)the 255`s are very low end end torque cams & the bigger valves will kill any low end power (mid-high RPM like big valves)the 255`s wont like tons of compression either
Welcome to the REEF Kirby!!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Life Member

If I am sticking with HD parts which SE cam would work the best with this build. The compression on the bike should only be 10:5 to 1 so if the 255's won't work well now would be the time to change the cams.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
If I am sticking with HD parts which SE cam would work the best with this build. The compression on the bike should only be 10:5 to 1 so if the 255's won't work well now would be the time to change the cams.
IMO, you should select the cam, which has the characteristics that will compliment your riding habits, first. Do you want the power band favovoring the low, mid, or high rpm's? Then, choose a head/piston/tune combo that will compliment the cam.

BTW, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just have received a lot of great advice, that's later proven to be correct, from experienced builders who post on here, and elsewhere. Has spared me much aggravation, and even saved me some cash.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Life Member

I like the low end and mid-range torque that the SE 255 produce but with the build I may be able to go with a mid-range torque cam. I am not a high speed rider so I would like a cam that turns on around 2000 RPM's and give the bike plenty of power and torque thru the entire RPM range.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Grey beard

Seems like folks have gotten broad torque curves with the 254E, but if you prefer to favor the mid to low, perhaps the 204? Gotta be a few guys on here that have put these to use, and could let you know what they think about them. Maybe talk to whomever is going to tune the bike, and see what they think, or are partial to?

So many damn choices, it can be frustrating at times.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.