Opinions on Best Amp for J&M 7.5" Speakers - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Roadglide Audio

Roadglide Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Hangaround

Default Opinions on Best Amp for J&M 7.5" Speakers

I tried searching but seem to find various threads about amps and speakers but nothing really specific to my main question...this is my configuration...'08 Road Glide, faring speakers only for now...will eventually go with 4..haven't decided on tourpak speaker pods or saddlebag lid type.

My friend just sold his RG and was gracious enough to give me the J&M 7.5" standard speakers with tweeters and his Hogtune 24.2 amp...I installed them and honestly am not that impressed...I had the J&M 5.25 speakers just running off the stock radio and to me I hear very little difference...yes the amp is connected correctly and is working...I can only think that the amp is not powerful enough to drive the speakers.

So my question is..with a stock HK radio and the J&M speakers I have, what amp would you recommend for my current setup along with eventually adding rear speaker?

At the present time, I'm not looking to change out my speakers. Your opinions are appreciated.

Riding Life's Twisting Roads to Somewhere...on a 2008 Dark Blue Pearl Road Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 AM

I have the j&m 250 watt amp. I'm real pleased. There customer service is second to none.
2009 Hot Red Sunglo, 107 build, S&S 551 cams, heads polished and ported, Vance & Hines Dresser Duals, Vance and Hines 4" rounds, REVOLUTION PERFORMANCE ems, Bad Seed bars, J&M amp and rokkers speakers, Sony DSX-S310, progressive 940's
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Prospect

Are you sure the amp is your problem? Others on this forum have been underwhelmed by those speakers.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress View Post
Are you sure the amp is your problem? Others on this forum have been underwhelmed by those speakers.

And others are quite happy with them, so it's an interesting situation.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
And others are quite happy with them, so it's an interesting situation.
I could be wrong. I'll retract my statement until I can find something to back it up. Would not want to mislead.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Life Member

What would sound better would be an opinion, and how much money you are willing to spend. You could add a RF PBR300X2, and I think it would sound a lot better, definetly a lot louder. That would be an under $160 answer, now if you have more $$ you want to spend, the options become more.......
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Hangaround

I have the J & M 250 watt amp as well. Very good sound for me!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Hangaround

I actually did a little more research and found out that the gain on the Hogtune amp was set to zero...it gives you 3 positions only ( -3db, 0db, +3db)..I removed the fairing and set it to the +3 position....it was better, but not truly what I expected.

I have no problem spending money on a new amp, but would like to keep it to a minimum..I've been thinking about the RF PBR300X2 but was concerned about the speaker ohms vs the amps.

I also took note that my Klockwerks windscreen also creates wind noise...something I did not really consider, but definitely would affect the way my ears hear the music...while I love the look of a low profile screen, maybe there is another screen similar that will deflect the air more to eliminate wind noise.

But ultimately a new amp may be in order.

Thanks to all who have have replied.

Riding Life's Twisting Roads to Somewhere...on a 2008 Dark Blue Pearl Road Glide
Old 11-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Life Member

I have the amp made by Bazooka, and I am happy with it, not real impressed with my J&M's after I heard some other speaker types. I guess it really does come down to what your final goal is and how many monies you are willing to part with.

2014 GYPSY TOUR--Getting my kicks from Rt 6!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Hangaround

You are right about the windscreen. I had the same on an 08 RG and I felt like the wind just pounded my ears, a totally different beast. I went with a Long Ride Shield recurve on my CVO and it is night and day. I run a 250w Wetsounds amp, essentially an ARC/J&M amp and 4 6.5" Alpines but am switching to Hertz (wish I could afford Focals but got a good deal on the high energy Hertz speakers). Whatever you do think of expansion at a later date, if you are going for two, wanting four and thinking six, you may want to just hold off with what you have until you can do four properly with a good amp and prepare for six if you so choose. Audio is selective especially with what is out there and can drive you nuts, unfortunately the atmosphere surrounding us cuts the sound quality down significantly, unless you spend mega bucks on a high end system and those that have invested have phenominal sound but easily their systems are in the $$thousands. I think you should be able to find an inexpensive J&M/ARC 250 watt amp somewhere to try, but if you want four I'd get an amp that would drive four easily, jmho.