i know... another handle bar thread :-) - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Controls & Handlebars

Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Hangaround

Default i know... another handle bar thread :-)

I am on a limited budget due to the holiday season approaching quickly. I am 6 ft tall and still feel like I am reaching for the bars. Can anyone suggest a cheap handlebar that would give me more pullback as well as more rise?

I have read a plethora of threads and not many people include their body size or whether or not the job included cables/hoses.

I need a handlebar under $150 that will work (positively) with stock cables and grips. The difficult part is I need as much rise and pullback as possible with all the other stock parts intact.

Sorry to bring this up again but after three hours of searching, I seemed to get more confused...

2012 RG Ultra

Last edited by TitusPollo; 11-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 AM

Santee offers similar sizes,style, and options as the other bar manufacturers at half the price or less.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Hangaround

Thanks monster, I'll check em out. Is it true that any 12" or less apes will fit with stock cables/hoses?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusPollo View Post
Thanks monster, I'll check em out. Is it true that any 12" or less apes will fit with stock cables/hoses?
Possibly, but I would be careful. Stock bars are, I believe 8". The taller you go, the tighter the cables will be. I know you're on a budget, but dont skimp on cables in order to get bars that are still uncomfortable.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusPollo View Post
Seems most posts from owners with newer models this is true, I've just ordered a set of 11" black santee's 693671 for my 05...... so I will see if this is true for older models
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Grey beard

If your limiting your budget to just bars and getting away with the stock wiring, brake line, and clutch cable then 12" apes is about as much as your going to get away with. Even with that your going to have to reroute your clutch and brake line.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Hangaround

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just drag the project out, order bars and get them installed. Then figure out which cables I need and hopefully get it back together fairly soon :-)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Hangaround

I put on a set of wild one outlawz 12" ($220). My suggestion, wait if you have to to get the right bars. These are by far my best mod ever. Comfort is important. I did the internal wiring myself, wasn't that bad. Add another 50-100 for grips. No need to switch out cables on 12". I'm 6'3", so maybe you don't need 12"? Measure up and figure out the best fit for you. Try different bars if you can for feel before buying, you only want to route wires internally once.

'07 HD Roadglide (2/2/12 - Current)
'01 ZRX1200R (8/29/06 - 4/30/12)
'91 VFR 750 ('04)
'87 FZ 600 ('03)
'86 YZ125 (86-89)
70's Honda Trail 70 (82-89)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robare View Post
My suggestion, wait if you have to to get the right bars
Thats the problem though figuring out which ones are the 'right' bars. For a year and a half I thought my stock bars were fine, and I ride quite a bit. Then I took a 12 day, 5300 mile trip and my elbows have been pretty much sore ever since. I think it's shoulder related.

A friend of mine has 12" Kromewerks apes that felt pretty good but a lot of bars feel good for a few minutes, so I don't know. Think when I switch I'll probably try them. They aren't too expensive and he says you can use the original cables etc.

Probably if you did a poll though most people on here, by a lot, are using Heritage bars. Also I don't know if you've looked but the CVO bars have a bit more pull back as well....looks alot like the Heritage bars if it's not the same.

I'm about 6'1 or 2 btw

The beach is a place where a man can feel He's the only soul in the world thats real
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
Thats the problem though figuring out which ones are the 'right' bars. For a year and a half I thought my stock bars were fine, and I ride quite a bit. Then I took a 12 day, 5300 mile trip and my elbows have been pretty much sore ever since. I think it's shoulder related.
You're right. But a little measuring and figuring you probably can come up with the bar you need to solve the problem. What hurts and why is it huring, reaching too much? Wrist bent wrong?

My advice was more find what you think will fix the problem and if they cost more than 150, don't settle on one because of price. Settle on one that has the best shot of fixing your issue.

Another thing I did, was send emails to the manufacturer/retailer with what I wanted to accomplish and they came back with recommendations on what they thought would be best.

I knew right away after going to a Harley Dealer with a bar display that the heritiage bar was not for me strickly going off of wrist angle.

'07 HD Roadglide (2/2/12 - Current)
'01 ZRX1200R (8/29/06 - 4/30/12)
'91 VFR 750 ('04)
'87 FZ 600 ('03)
'86 YZ125 (86-89)
70's Honda Trail 70 (82-89)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.