East Coast to Sturgis I90 & I80 Advise - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures

Road Trip Discussions/Stories/Pictures Show your trips here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Default Going to Sturgis

Take route 30. Catch some parts of the Lincoln Highway.

As for Rt 2 through the Sand Hills of Nebraska... YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahred View Post
I presume you're talking about 80 across Iowa then north from Omaha on 29 to 90 across South Dakota. Be forewarned that 90 across SD is extraordinarily windy and not a pleasant run. I would urge you to consider riding through Nebraska and either picking up Highway 2 near Grand Island and riding through the Sandhills or taking Highway 75 up to Valentine
. The Sandhills route will add about an extra hour to your travel time but Highway 2 is considered by many to be one of the most scenic highways in the country. I'd google both routes then decide. Safe travels..

Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahred View Post
I presume you're talking about 80 across Iowa then north from Omaha on 29 to 90 across South Dakota. Be forewarned that 90 across SD is extraordinarily windy and not a pleasant run. I would urge you to consider riding through Nebraska and either picking up Highway 2 near Grand Island and riding through the Sandhills or taking Highway 75 up to Valentine. The Sandhills route will add about an extra hour to your travel time but Highway 2 is considered by many to be one of the most scenic highways in the country. I'd google both routes then decide. Safe travels..
+2 the route thru the Sandhills. Rode that route back a few years back, just have to get used to being covered in grasshopper guts.....There were so many that the road looked like it was alive!!
12" WV, KW 2+2 Sweepers, ISO Grips, Jackpot Headers/Rush Slip-ons,Ventilator S/E Breather PCV, Alpine 149BT W/ Ipod , HW RS400 & CS300, HW 654's & Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5's up front and HW 654's in TourPak Pods.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Life Member

The two lane state highway I think its 40 south of I90 is a good road there will be some small towns you can stop and get gas and will take you into the bad lands.Going west you will be driving into the sun and there is almost no traffic and if you do get behind someone lots of long empty places to pass.Boss and I stayed in winter SD. new holiday inn there the next AM. the sun flowers were turned toward the sun the fields were amazing.I am -1 on Nebraska I-80 4 lane and most everyone doing 90+ lots of big rigs winds a bitch not relaxing and you think the sandhills or never going to end long distances between gas stops most of the guys around here do Nebraska once and avoid it.I have a lot of friends that go every year.Good luck
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Hangaround

Thanks for all the replies, lots of ideas to think about before next year’s trip. I hate Interstate travel..especially with lots of trucks. Looks like there are plenty of other options. Thanks

2012 RG Ultra, 103 & ABS
16" Madstad, 4" Rineharts, Vied's
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkshift View Post
The two lane state highway I think its 40 south of I90 is a good road there will be some small towns you can stop and get gas and will take you into the bad lands.Going west you will be driving into the sun and there is almost no traffic and if you do get behind someone lots of long empty places to pass.Boss and I stayed in winter SD. new holiday inn there the next AM. the sun flowers were turned toward the sun the fields were amazing.I am -1 on Nebraska I-80 4 lane and most everyone doing 90+ lots of big rigs winds a bitch not relaxing and you think the sandhills or never going to end long distances between gas stops most of the guys around here do Nebraska once and avoid it.I have a lot of friends that go every year.Good luck
That would be SD 44. Great road with lots of scenery, once you get West of the Missouri River. Plenty of gas stops, and friendly people in the little towns. There's a little mom and pop eatery on Main St. in Platte, with good food and the owners will talk your ear off.

There are sections of SD 44 that let you know what they mean by "Big Sky Country"

Getting on SD 44 in Eastern South Dakota

Missouri River SD 44

Small detour on SD 18 ..... had to get a picture in front of ASSMAN'S

View of the Badlands from SD 44

...................... Ron..........................

........2011 Cool Blue Pearl FLTRX........
.............RoboGlide .............

Last edited by PGR; 11-20-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Life Member

PGR,
Love the pic in front of Assman.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinharley View Post
PGR,
Love the pic in front of Assman.
Went by there a couple of years ago by mistake. I wasn't paying attention and missed a turn a few miles West of Winner. When I went by Assman's, I was laughing so hard, I didn't get a picture.

This year, I made sure to go that way again, camera ready. I even had the place set as a waypoint in my GPS

...................... Ron..........................

........2011 Cool Blue Pearl FLTRX........
.............RoboGlide .............

Last edited by PGR; 11-20-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM

I agree-SD44 is a nice alternate to i90.

2011 HD Road Glide Custom
- Full V&H true dual exhaust