Neck bearing adjustment - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Tech Area

Tech Area For Tutorials and Instructional Materials

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Hangaround

Default Neck bearing adjustment

Anyone here adjust the steering neck bearings on a 2012 or recent FLTRX? I have done my 1k service with the exception of tightening the neck bearing. I have the service manuel and started to do this the other day just to get started and see where the manuel states you need to make a homemade tool to adjust the bearing (really?? homemade tool??). Then it shows where you need a special tool to align the ignition switch after removing it. Anyone done this that has any tips or tricks to make it a little easier?
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Life Member

Do a search on here about ignition switch removal or YouTube. The video is on both. I used a screwdriver, with no problems. Same with neck bearing adjustment. Do a search. Thier is tons of info. I used a long flat head screwdriver that I hammered into a small bend. Worked nicely.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Life Member

before you go to all this trouble, do the fallaway check. if it is within spec. don't mess with it. and just in case your manual still has the old specs, it has been changed to 1.5 to 3 swings (i think thats what it is, mine is on the tight side at 2)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Hangaround

My 2012 manuel for the FLTRX says minimum of 1 maximum of 2 swings. Mine makes 4 so I figured it was a little loose. I'm going to try putting more grease in before I try adjusting though. I put about 10 pumps in but didn't keep pumping until it came out like the manuel says.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGlide View Post
I put about 10 pumps in but didn't keep pumping until it came out like the manuel says.
You've only got about 90 more pumps to go.........
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Hangaround

I wanna know how you are getting a grease fitting to properly fit that zerk fitting? On my '05 Glide I cannot get a straight shot to put grease in.......I've been using a 90* fitting but that doesn't seem to work very well. I'm actually thinking about using a high speed grinder and cut out the opening a little so I can get a straight on shot at the fitting..........I haven't looked at my 2012 Road Glide yet but I am open to ideas.

Also, What grease are you using? I have been using the HD grease but I was wondering what the mil spec on it is so that I could buy it elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I wanna know how you are getting a grease fitting to properly fit that zerk fitting? On my '05 Glide I cannot get a straight shot to put grease in.......I've been using a 90* fitting but that doesn't seem to work very well. I'm actually thinking about using a high speed grinder and cut out the opening a little so I can get a straight on shot at the fitting..........I haven't looked at my 2012 Road Glide yet but I am open to ideas.

Also, What grease are you using? I have been using the HD grease but I was wondering what the mil spec on it is so that I could buy it elsewhere.
My grease gun fit the zerk no problem. Harbor frieght grease gun with the flex end. HF also sells zerk fittings in a big assortment pack if you want to try a 45* or something different. Also, I use green grease(thats what its called on the tube). Heard some of the other kinds will melt and run down the forks in the summer, no prob with green.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Life Member

I did the steering bolt adjustment myself and remember seeing the greese fitting. Of course I forgot to greese it. Can I get at it without removing the guage cluster etc? I'll have to consult the manuel later to check it out.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSW1283 View Post
My grease gun fit the zerk no problem. Harbor frieght grease gun with the flex end. HF also sells zerk fittings in a big assortment pack if you want to try a 45* or something different. Also, I use green grease(thats what its called on the tube). Heard some of the other kinds will melt and run down the forks in the summer, no prob with green.
Any idea if the zerk fittings are pressed in or screwed in? I looked at mine again today and there is no way to put a flex end grease fitting straight on the zerk without first modifying the fairing bracket. I'm gonna have to check in to the "green grease".
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Zerk fittings are threaded. Replace with a 90 degree fittings or get a connection that slides on from the side. I've used "Green grease" for years in the fork stem. Good stuff and no drips in hot weather.

Some food for thought on neck bearings.

I've spent 50 years adjusting fork stem bearings the same way and have never had a problem yet. Front wheel off the ground and bike sitting level, loosen lower triple tree pinch bolts, tighten the bearings until you can feel the front end dragging a bit, then back off a little so the front end turns freely and there is little or no up and down movement in the fork neck. Tighten everything back up, pinch bolts 1st. Very similiar to doing wheel bearing on cars or trailers.

The HD fallaway method has too much connected stuff (cables, etc) that affect it and just doesn't work good. JMHO