Jump starting ? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Prospect

Default Jump starting ?

I Left the ignition switch on this morning...
Someone was talking to me and I must have just gotten side tracked with the conversation and totally messed up.... After 3-4 hours went to the bike to go out for lunch and found battery dead as dead can be...

I've heard you shouldnt jump start a bike.
but what else can I do at this point ?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Grumpy View Post
I Left the ignition switch on this morning...
Someone was talking to me and I must have just gotten side tracked with the conversation and totally messed up.... After 3-4 hours went to the bike to go out for lunch and found battery dead as dead can be...

I've heard you shouldnt jump start a bike.
but what else can I do at this point ?
What I've heard and done is to jump start with a vehicle or other bike turned off. YOu will need to connect directly to the battery.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Grey beard

From the Service MGR at Harley shop, you do not have to remove the seat.

Positive connection to the starter above the transmission, you'll see a wire connection here covered with a rubber boot. Negative to frame or bolt from the transmission. In this case connect negative first.

Always connect good battery from car or other bike first and last.

Connect in this order.

1.Positive on good battery, make sure negative is not touching any metal, against anything plastic is good
2.negative on bad battery or on frame
3.Positive on bad battery or starter post on bike
4.Negative on good battery or to frame of vehicle with good battery.

Bad batteries can give off a flamable gas. This way if there is any spark with the last connection it is made at the vehicle that is running and has the good battery that should not be gassing.

check connection using ignition switch on bike with bad battery, lights should come on etc.
Calgaryglide. '08 Road Glide, Platinum White with wood trim, Thundermax Autotune, Dragula 2:1, Drago 510 cams, Glidepro motor mount and rear bushing, Zippers chain tensioners, K&N a/c, BAL, Rokker XTs and lots of other stuff.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Life Member

+1 to what Calgaryglide said. I've done it but removed the seat for direct connection to the battery posts.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Prospect

Thanks guys.
Im thankful this happened here at work . We grabbed one of the warehouse's forklifts and tried to jump start the battery..
After a few minutes , the most I could get out of my starter was a constant clicking where before there was nothing....

After various attempts, I decided to forget the jump start route and placed the battery on a charger.(Luckily we had one here) .. After 20 minutes on the charger the bike started right up...

I wonder why the jump starting did not work... ..
Any thoughts ?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Life Member

I'd guess better connections & a stronger battery to jump from would make the difference, it did for me.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Grey beard

Last winter we had a bad weather spell (for us) and I didn't get to ride for a couple of weeks. I went out to the garage on a sunny day in February and found that I'd left the ignition switch on all that time. Battery was deader'n shit. I had an appointment at Horny Toad to get new bars and a few other doo dads installed. Hooked up the RGU (from the battery) to one of my cars and revved the hell out it for about 15 minutes, got it fired up and made the 60 mile ride to Temple.

PcPain had the boys in the service dept check the cells and all was good.

Sumbitch ended up crapping out on me just before my Yosemite trip in May. Thanks to this forum I leaned that it was maybe covered under my warranty. Took it to my in town dealer and they replaced it for free ; )

'03 Deuce: 87k miles and counting, '11 RGU: 65k miles and counting. Celebrating 40 years in the saddle in 2014.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Life Member

Above being said, done both- off starter and battery, also have being footed-switch on, clucth in, in 2nd @ 10-15 mph, no damaging effect. A cut lenght of lamp cord(once from a motel) to another battery in a pinch, also carry a lenght of lamp cord with bulldog clips colored taped near my tool wrap mainly for others. These are big bikes, but bikes just the same.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Prospect

My concern is mostly with the ECM module and frying it for some reason when doing a jump start...

But butt cheeks clenched up as I was jump starting it today...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Grumpy View Post
My concern is mostly with the ECM module and frying it for some reason when doing a jump start...

But butt cheeks clenched up as I was jump starting it today...
It'll be fine. I attach the bike last. Some say don't start the car, but reality is we don't need the CCAs a car needs so it's overkill, but it's not going to hurt anything. The voltage will be the same, and the amperage is only what can be "consumed" by the system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.