A Modern Tour Glide? (the story and adventure) little long - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Road Glide Builds-Document your builds HERE --NEW

Road Glide Builds-Document your builds HERE --NEW Road Glide Builds. Please post photos of your builds to help the rest of us out. All information is welcome but please limit it to Roadglide builds!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaveOnBass

Subscribed. Totally digging your vision and execution for this "classic" touring bike.
'04 FLTRI, originally Smokey Gold, now Vivid Black, 95", S/E forged high comp 9.6:1 pistons, Andrews 37G cams, Big Boyz heads, S/E adjustable pushrods, S/E Race Tuner, S/E Stage 1 kit, V&H Dresser Duals, S/E slip ons, H-D premium oil cooler, chromed wagon wheels, Brembo/H-D front brakes, added rear engine guards, Paul Yaffe 10" OEM Monkey Bars, detachable tour pak

http://www.roadglide.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=714&dateline=12735192  71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveOnBass View Post
Subscribed. Totally digging your vision and execution for this "classic" touring bike.
Thanks.....I have the finished bike in my head, at least the parts that I'm not adlibbing. Its just a matter of getting enough cash, finding the parts, and the execution.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Hangaround

Tonight I mocked up the right side saddlebag. You can see in the picture that I will have to move the relay and circut breaker that is behind the stock side cover. They wont fit under the replacement cover that I have. I could use the stock cover and cut it and fab a bracket for it, but I want to go to later rear floorboards so I can use the Kury passenger swing pegs, cause the wife REALLY likes them. So I will relocate them, dont know where yet......havent got that far, kinda shootin fron the hip on the ongoing design.

I guess for now, Ester is down. So tomorrow I will fab a lower crashbar bracket and start on the battery box for under the seat, since I have the battery size. I guess I will replace the rear fender too. So tomorrow will be teardown day.

More to come!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Grey beard

Ester is looking good, that EVO should take you a long way. I have a 94 Heritage I bought new, have never gone into the motor with 140,000 miles and she is still strong.

Old Paratroopers Never Die We Go To Hell And Regroup!!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Shark of the Month July 13

wow this is a neat project. i can't wait to see more pictures!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Hangaround

Today was a teardown day..........and I got my 04 fender on. Had to drill 2 holes for the shock mounts, but other than that it went pretty smooth. The later fender is way shorter than the stock one, so all the modifications I did to the late seat was in vain, cause with a late fender the seat sits back about 2" farther....oh-well, at least I didnt pay $500.00 for the seat. Im going to have to make a bracket to mount the front of the fender to the frame too.

I got all my wiring moved to inside the frame and started rerouting it. I also mocked up a battery bracket for under the seat. I need to buy some nuts nd bolts for the bracket and then paint it, but its going to work great, and the battery will be well below the seat.

Thats all for today.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Hangaround

Got my battery mocked up and collected the rest of the parts to finish the wiring off and make the lower crashbar mount. Got the starter relay and circuit breaker figured out and mounted too.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Hangaround

Almost done...........got a few tweeks left and paint.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Hangaround

Since doing the upgrade, I've been hearing a rub from time to time, not all the time, just sometimes. So I air down the shocks to 5psi and yup........I'm rubbing.

Turns out that the 140 tire is rubbing on the front of the 04 fender. I figured out that the late fender, when mounted using the factory intended mount on the early frame horns is almost 3/4" further back than on the later frame, making the very front of the fender to close to the tire. The later fender is also longer in the front than our origanal rear fender. I ended up cutting almost 3" off of the front to cure the issue. I really need to cut 1 more inch off, cause on a really good compression it still hits the fender, but I will do that later. I have also changed out my 06 rear shocks for 09 shocks, they have better valving and a higher capacity. They are however a touch larger in diameter than the other shocks, and required 1/8" farther spacing on the blt side only. There was clearance.......but not enough IMO.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Life Member

Looking good, I bet ya can't wait to get it out on the road.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.