Wind vest or Madstad? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Windshields

Windshields Windshields for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Glide Air Deflector Systems

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Default Wind vest or Madstad?

Hello all, traded the ole Wideglide in for a 12 FLTRU. Love it. It came with a dealer installed wind splitter shield. Works fine for me, but the wife is getting a lot of buffeting. I "think" it's the windshield, so I am thinking either a wind vest or a madstad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Shrug

Do a little research here and I think you'll find several two-up riders who really like their MadStad shields. I wouldn't ride a Roadie without one.

Shrug - Scott Wilson
2010 FLTRX "Hester" -
Blue Knights Teas Chapter XLVI
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Prospect

Talking 2+ Madstad

Hello.

If ya can get past the looks the Madstad is the best shield.

I have a 13" but just bought a 16" (shield only). I wanna see if the laonger shield evens the flow of air even better over its longer surface, should, in theory!!??
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Grey beard

I have a 14.5 inch medium tint Madstad that Mark cut special for me because I felt the 16 would be to tall and the 13 to low. I feel with the adjustment I have in the brackets I now have the perfect shield. It did fix the buffeting problem fo my wife which was my biggest concern. As for the looks I like it but IMO when they are set lower and not to far out it looks better. Ran the stock shield and the wiindsplittter before the Madstad and the buffeting was to much for the wife. I have more photos in my album
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8349.jpg (89.5 KB, 116 views)

Old Paratroopers Never Die We Go To Hell And Regroup!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Hangaround

After much deliberation on this very question, I opted for the Windvest 15" light smoke. It works exceptionally well at half the price, and my wife has no complaints on the RARE occasions when she decides to park her Deluxe for the day and jump on the back.

There IS something oddly alluring about that Madstad though. People keep calling it ugly...but I heard the same comments on my sharknose and it didn't stop me from buying it!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rowdy

After trying multiple shields, I went with the Madstad, and it solved my passengers buffeting issues.

Rowdy

Revolution 107CI, HQ575cams, Revolution Performance Tuner, Drago Bike Works Super Charged 2-1 Exhaust, Rivera Pro Clutch, HD Blacked out Forks and Cow Bells, Chubby 14" Apes, Hawg Wired Front to Back, Madstad 16" Dark Smoke. etc...
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Hangaround

Any of the windshields that are big and tall enough to accomplish what you are after, going to be ugly anyways, might as well get the madstad, at least you have some adjustability with an unique look
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM

I am currently running a 14" Windvest and really like it. The 16" Windvest did a little better for the wife, but it was too tall for me, and in the rain it was a problem.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM

I'm still undecided on the MadStad. Here's my dilemna... It works great, absolutely great... HOWEVER... I spent tons of money on my Road Glide because it was what I really wanted, and I thought it looked hella slick! Even though the MadStad works great, I kinda feel like I'm taking away from the look of the bike when i slap that (MadStad) puppy on. To be honest, if I wanted to ride something super ultra comfortable with no wind in my face, yada yada... I would have purchased a BMW touring bike.

Think about it, if you really want to get rid of buffeting on your bike, why not just add a 20" bubble around yourself, why not make your own sanchos wings that are 3x the size of the originals and slap them on your fairing?

I'm just sayin, there gets a point where you do soo many things to get rid of buffeting that you start sacrificing the look of a very sharp looking bike. In hindsight, I'm not sure I wan't to do that. I bought the Road Glide for a reason. I love the look of the fairing. Why would I want to take away from one of the bikes primary characteristics? I want to enhance the look of a great bike. Just my opinion.

I'm going to try and test out a 10" windvest. Looks sharp, heard good things about it... maybe I can get the best of both worlds out of it. Now if I can only get the guys at Windvest to return my e-mail... LOL
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 PM

my 14" windvest i cut down to 13" because i didnt need that extra inch. we're both happy (notice the smiles). gonna buy either a 10 or a 12 for when i go solo.