What do I do NEXT?????? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Grey beard

Default What do I do NEXT??????

Hey all,
I know I have been in here throwing around ideas and such but I am still looking for some help with ideas.

So far all I have done to my engine is a Klockwerks Double Back dual exhaust (which people say will take away from your low end torque but I didn't), Roland Sands intake, Power Vision tuner w/tune from Fuel Moto, Woods 555 cams, Fuel Moto adjustable push rods.

So I am sitting here looking at my bike put away for the winter and am wondering what is next to do to it? Yes in the next 2 years I have a goal of building a 124" S&S motor that I talked about with Hillside Motorcycles. But I am wondering what is next before I get to that point of building my BIG motor.

What can I do to my 103" motor? Throw a higher compression piston in it? Do some head work to it? What else is there? Larger injectors or throttle body?
I'd like to hear your input on what you think would be some mods I could do? I ride 50% single & 25% with my wife & 25% with my daughter. I am looking for lots of low end torque for getting me off the line and then having that passing power in the mid range RPM's. I could careless about top end power as I don't ride much at WOT. Yes I would like to have an engine that made 100hp/100tq so for now that would be my goal.

So let's hear it from all you engine gurus......................................Throw out some ideas for me. Anything from mild to wild and I don't have a budget range other than I don't want to waste a lot of money on doing things to this engine when I plan to replace/rebuild it in 2 years. So if you can work any of the mods that I would do now into what I am going for later that would make me want to do it even more.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me and helping too.

www.4x4nut.com
Scar's remind us where we have been they don't have to dictate where we're going.

1997 Jeep TJ SE
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom (Traded In)
2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
2008 Honda TRX700XX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Grey beard

Just my $0.02, but if you know you're going to the 124, then why on earth would you dump anymore money into your current setup. Any money you "don't" spend on what you have now gets you to the 124 faster.........
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
Just my $0.02, but if you know you're going to the 124, then why on earth would you dump anymore money into your current setup. Any money you "don't" spend on what you have now gets you to the 124 faster.........
+1, my thought also.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM

Default What next...

I was wondering what effect the addition of those cams had on your fuel mileage???
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Grey beard

My simple annswer is because I am a inpatient SOB that can't stand to wait and wants more power NOW............................................... ...........I know it makes better sense to just wait and save my money but like I said I like to have some more umph now if I can. If it really makes no sense to do anything more to my engine then I will just have to bite the bullet and save my funds til I can get my 124". But it never hurts to ask does it? I mean if I did heads or something now? I just don't like waiting........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ......................................

PS: bgillam, I haven't had enough of a chance to figure out what my MPG has done. And now I won't until spring as there is snow in the forecast.

www.4x4nut.com
Scar's remind us where we have been they don't have to dictate where we're going.

1997 Jeep TJ SE
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom (Traded In)
2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt
2008 Honda TRX700XX

Last edited by Wildman; 11-19-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 AM
prodrag1320

compression & headwork,we`ve got some VERY stout 103`s running around,or go 107" since your adding pistons anyway
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Grey beard

+1 on the 107! That's what I plan on doing. I'm going to do cams first then later on I'll get the higher comp. pistons and bored cylinders. Can't decide on my cams though??? Leaning toward the 222's.
2012 FLTRX Denim Black,Stock head pipe with Cat removed w/ Jackpot 4" black slash up slip-ons. power vision, Fuel Moto pro billet A/C, Woods TW-222's, 12" Klock Werks . Sanchos Wings. Khrome werks 2+2 Handlebars.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
My simple annswer is because I am a inpatient SOB that can't stand to wait and wants more power NOW............................................... ...........I know it makes better sense to just wait and save my money but like I said I like to have some more umph now if I can. If it really makes no sense to do anything more to my engine then I will just have to bite the bullet and save my funds til I can get my 124". But it never hurts to ask does it? I mean if I did heads or something now? I just don't like waiting........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ......................................

PS: bgillam, I haven't had enough of a chance to figure out what my MPG has done. And now I won't until spring as there is snow in the forecast.
A friend of mine summed this up quite well on a ride one day.

Friend: *putting on chaps*
Me: You don't need those, it's going to warm up in a couple of hours
Friend: Yeah, but I'm cold now
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Prospect

Sell your motor asap to get the most for it. Then use that $ for the 124 & be riding it by spring.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy t View Post
Sell your motor asap to get the most for it. Then use that $ for the 124 & be riding it by spring.
Strongly Agree, I understand the lack of patience, however if you KNOW you are ultimately going to a 124" then all decisions and moves should be made to get you there ASAP. Bump anything else... JMHO, I have a 124" did it this spring/summer, only after spending $4800 in 2011 on motor work.... Yes I have recouped SOME MONEY but still I wish I had that $4800 back.