Sales forum dilemma: What would you do? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Sales forum dilemma: What would you do?

I've sold a lot of stuff on various forums without a similar issue, and I'm posting this because I want to do my very best to be fair with everyone involved...

I offered up an item for sale last week, and on Friday i got my 1st PM from a member, telling me that he wanted to buy it and asked for my PayPal info. I responded.

The next morning (Saturday), he messaged me to say that he sent the funds, but I never got anything in my PayPal account. I double checked my PM to him to verify that I sent him the correct info, without typos... and it was fine. I then responded to him to let him know that nothing came my way.

I was then messaged by another member expressing immediate interest in my item. I told him about the other sale, but that he would be the next runner up if things fell through.

It's now Monday night, and still not any response from the initial buyer about the PayPal error. I have no reason to believe he is running me around, I assume it's a valid and simple error. I also don't expect everyone to check this forum every single day... hey, we all have lives... but including Saturday, we're already at 3 days no response going into a 4th now.

I don't want to leave the backup buyer hanging, but I would seriously hate to work the deal with him, then the 1st buyer responds soon afterwards explaining why he was offline, and wanting to get this finished.

What would you do, and feel sure that you were being fair? How long is a realistic amount of time to wait on the 1st buyer to communicate?
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Grey beard

I have been in a similar situation. Someone agreed to buy something and send payment. But several days went by and no payment and no responses. I gave it a week and then sold to the next person.

It is my belief if you take the time to commit to a sale you need to follow through with it. If you have the time to agree to the purchase you have time to complete the purchase. If you don't follow through you lose out. It is what it is.
Heritage bars - Python slip-ons - Vance & Hines Dresser Duals - Ness Big Sucker - PC-V - Custom Dynamic LED Clusters and Dynamic Ringz - Biketronics lighting modules - Trucklite Phase 7 LED headlight & Passing Lamps - BrightAssLight BAL-3ST taillight
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Life Member

I am thinking you have waited long enough for a response. You could ask the second buyer if he/she is willing to give it another day or 2. If not I would sell the item now. Posting here shows you are trying to do the right thing, least in my mind.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Grey beard

Just explain the whole situation with the second buyer. I can only hope they would understand, and if the shoe was on the other foot, he/she would expect the same treatment.
2011 RGC, Sedona Orange 103" w/ 48H cams,PM Icon 21" wheel,Kury Mach 2 intake,Jackpot 3.5, PM brake and shift levers, CB 14" TRSSC shield, Sinister 14" apes, custom levers.Black exhaust,floorboards,pegs and crash bar.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Life Member

I have to agree with Garemlin, if you wait too long, the 2nd buyer may loose interest, and if the 1st one has bailed, you may be stuck with the item for awhile.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

As someone who travels out of state frequently in his job, I sympathize with the first potential buyer and would give him until Wednesday evening. With Thursday being Thanksgiving, he certainly would be expected to be home by Wednesday evening. I'd drop him another PM stating your deadline. That said, I'd also notify the second potential buyer and let him know exactly what the hold up is and exactly when you'll PM him if the first sale falls through. Seems fair to all.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

Since his profile shows that the 1st buyer logged on last night, but still has not responded to my PM, I have to assume that he is ignoring me for some reason, and I'll move on to the 2nd buyer.

All dude #1 had to do was communicate...
Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCBandit View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

Since his profile shows that the 1st buyer logged on last night, but still has not responded to my PM, I have to assume that he is ignoring me for some reason, and I'll move on to the 2nd buyer.

All dude #1 had to do was communicate...
If he logged in and didn't take the time to reply it's his loss.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
Heritage bars - Python slip-ons - Vance & Hines Dresser Duals - Ness Big Sucker - PC-V - Custom Dynamic LED Clusters and Dynamic Ringz - Biketronics lighting modules - Trucklite Phase 7 LED headlight & Passing Lamps - BrightAssLight BAL-3ST taillight
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonekat View Post
Just explain the whole situation with the second buyer. I can only hope they would understand, and if the shoe was on the other foot, he/she would expect the same treatment.
+1, just let both parties know what's up, and go from there.

Rowdy

Revolution 107CI, HQ575cams, Revolution Performance Tuner, Drago Bike Works Super Charged 2-1 Exhaust, Rivera Pro Clutch, HD Blacked out Forks and Cow Bells, Chubby 14" Apes, Hawg Wired Front to Back, Madstad 16" Dark Smoke. etc...
Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Admin

I think you are fine with the 2nd buyer. The first buyer may have "sent" you money ,but if there is no money in his PayPal account, PayPal won't send it

www.Roadglide.org