Changes now & later - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Prospect

Default Changes now & later

Six weeks since gettin my new FLTRX, I've enjoyed making some changes. Some for comfort and some for performance. Just finished the Stage 1 upgrade. I knew the 103" motor has alot of potential, but I did not expect as much with the Stage 1. Now I think a cam change will be enough to get what I want out of it. I'm thinking of Woods cam, not sure which, with a lifter upgrade. Any input to help me?
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Life Member

So many choices out there. You need to let your riding style determine what you get. Two up most of the time? Best stop light to stop light performance? Long tours or weekend jaunts? These kinds of considerations will determine the best cams for you. Personally I ride mostly two up and needed lower end torque rather than top end horsepower so I went with the HD255 cams and have been happy with the results. They fit my riding style and didn't require a lot of other mods for them to work as advertised. Good luck in your search.
2011 RG Ultra Silver Pearl with Midnight Black Pearl inner fairing, Roland Sands breather, 255 cams, V and H Power duals/wdual slash ovals, Power Vision, Hog Tunes Big RG speakers/160 watt amp/ tweeter pod, HD Hammock heated seat, Jagg fan assist 10 row oil cooler, 12" KromeWerks Apes,14'' light smoke Windvest.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Grey beard

Exactly correct.

You need to look at your riding style. If you like RPM or you like short shift putzing... 2 up or solo plays into it, (I ride the same way eithe r way, but just take less chances when 2 up).

Do you want to put up with starting issues?

Do you want LOUD or do you want mellow PC exhaust.

Mileage, or POWER...

Are you hanging with a bunch of Harley Hoggers who compare mega buck Screetchin Beagle builds, or are you happy to do it *right* and skip the silly Hardly-Riddenson stamp on the heads and spank them 10 ways to Sunday?

All motor builds represent trade offs and it all depends on what YOU want.

Not that you asked, but I'm an RPM guy, I don't flinch at rolling down the highway at 3500 rpm and rarely am using 6th. My next build will be heads, compression, cams tuned for mid+. That said, I also try and keep mileage reasonable, lol... I'm happy if I'm getting 35mpg commuting but open road I want 45+. A hot rod, does not have to be a fuel pig.

Last edited by rageglide; 11-24-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: cleaned up a bit since i was PUI! ;-)
Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Engine Expert

Send a message via AIM to Hillsidecycle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack6hd View Post
Six weeks since gettin my new FLTRX, I've enjoyed making some changes. Some for comfort and some for performance. Just finished the Stage 1 upgrade. I knew the 103" motor has alot of potential, but I did not expect as much with the Stage 1. Now I think a cam change will be enough to get what I want out of it. I'm thinking of Woods cam, not sure which, with a lifter upgrade. Any input to help me?
The new Wood 222 has already proven to be a HUGE INCREASE in those 103"ers, with just a cam plug/play.
Scott
Dyno tuning
Extended Warranty Center
MMI Certified Mechanics
Stocking Dealer for;
S&S Cycle
Axtell Sales
Wood Performance
Horse Power Inc.
Andrews Products
Rivera Engineering
Bandit Machine Works
"Land Speed Record Power"
www.hillsidecycle.com
5225 South Main St.
Munnsville, N.Y. 13409
315-495-6650 phone/fax
M-F 8-5, Sat 8-12 or by appt.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM
prodrag1320

set compression @ 9.8-1 & go with S&S .570`s.nice mild,easy to tune with decent power all the way thru the RPM range most riders use
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Engine Expert

So many choices and where to start??????
Need to start on where do you want your power band to be.???
And dont forget exhaust systems has a lot to play with on cam choices and power band.

Here are hints on cams out there. Bolt in no head work or raised compression etc.,

Tman 555 tq Low to mid range power.

Tman 555 c Mid to high power

Andrews 57 Low to mid. power

Cycle Rama Low to mid power.

Woods 222 Low to mid power

Again so many to pick from and every shop has there Fav'sssss
Good luck with your choice and if you have any questions just shot an email or call.

Thanks
FD
PRO-CHARGER--TRASK TURBO--DBW DRAGULA 2;1 EXHAUST--DBW SUPERCHARGE SERIES EXHAUST--RUSH EXHAUST--HAWG WIRED--AIM CLUTCH--FEULING--POWER COMMANDER--THUNDER MAX--TTS MASTERTUNE--95" 135"ENGINE BUILDS & KITS--CNC HEAD WORK- DBW CRANK WORK-- DARKHORSE CRANK WORK--REVOLUTION PERFROMANCE--TMAN CAMS--DYNO TUNING-- BUILDS FROM 75 HP TO 600 HP

New logo by Chainsaw Graphics.
Drago's Bike Works 815-765-1790
www.dragosbikeworks.com