Shark Tail Lowered or Not - Poll - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

View Poll Results: Shark Tail Lowered or Not
I prefer the tail of the shark to be 1" lower thank stock 8 50.00%
I prefer the tail of the shark to be at stock height 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Hangaround

Default Shark Tail Lowered or Not - Poll

On a pre-2009 RG...who prefers the rear of the bikes lowered 1"...I had lowered both front and rear 1" a while back not for any other reason but looks, just raised the front back to stock and I am contemplating bringing the rear back to stock...I like riding twisting roads and miss being able to to lean the bike more aggressively...

what are you thoughts and please take the take poll - thanks

Riding Life's Twisting Roads to Somewhere...on a 2008 Dark Blue Pearl Road Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM

The Custom is already lower than the Ultra, and at stock height I already scrape floorboards everywhere... I can't imagine lowering it. I know some guys who just simply 'cruise', and don't really ride their bikes hard, so I can understand for them, but I like to really ride, and push my bikes a little bit (within reason of course).

My 1st bike was a sportbike, so I learned with them. One of the things I learned was that messing with the suspension by lowering a bike is one of the worst things you can do. Engineers spend a LOT of time working out the geometry of the bike's suspension, and when you go messing with it, you can make the bike far less stable, and somewhat unpredictable when cornering. I won't take that chance.

I don't know that it is as pronounced on cruisers/baggers as it would be on sportbikes & standards, but even if there is a little wiggle room, there still can't be much.

I've found that the majority of folks who initially ask about lowering their bike do so because they can't flat-foot at a stop. You don't lower for this reason... you shave your seat. You can gain 1"-2" by having your seat shaved properly, and contouring the thigh area to allow your legs to drop sooner, giving you more leg room. And hell, while you're at it, you can re-foam or add a gel insert and make it more comfortable... all for less than the price of a Mustang or Corbin seat.

Lowering only the rear sounds like a good plan for some because they think "well, that won't lower the floorboards/highway pegs very much" but that's the least of your concerns. Scraping floorboards is no biggie, they fold and give... lowering the rear now brings your exhaust and bags closer to the ground, and scraping hard parts is flat out dangerous and can take your wheel out from under you mid-turn.

Last edited by RGCBandit; 11-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Life Member

I prefer my bikes to remain at stock height as well, although I'm not going to raise the rear of the CVO to accomplish that.

'12 Candy Colbalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=135593