Wind vest or Madstad? - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Windshields

Windshields Windshields for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Glide Air Deflector Systems

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlakerfan79 View Post
I'm still undecided on the MadStad. Here's my dilemna... It works great, absolutely great... HOWEVER... I spent tons of money on my Road Glide because it was what I really wanted, and I thought it looked hella slick! Even though the MadStad works great, I kinda feel like I'm taking away from the look of the bike when i slap that (MadStad) puppy on. To be honest, if I wanted to ride something super ultra comfortable with no wind in my face, yada yada... I would have purchased a BMW touring bike.

Think about it, if you really want to get rid of buffeting on your bike, why not just add a 20" bubble around yourself, why not make your own sanchos wings that are 3x the size of the originals and slap them on your fairing?

I'm just sayin, there gets a point where you do soo many things to get rid of buffeting that you start sacrificing the look of a very sharp looking bike. In hindsight, I'm not sure I wan't to do that. I bought the Road Glide for a reason. I love the look of the fairing. Why would I want to take away from one of the bikes primary characteristics? I want to enhance the look of a great bike. Just my opinion.

I'm going to try and test out a 10" windvest. Looks sharp, heard good things about it... maybe I can get the best of both worlds out of it. Now if I can only get the guys at Windvest to return my e-mail... LOL
I agree 100%--has to look good. I run a 12" windsplitter around town and on long trips I use the 15" WindVest. With the 15" WindVest I get no buffeting (I'm 6'2"), it works great but don't like the look for every day riding. I don't know what number your using to call WindVest but they answered every time calling 408-377-7323 good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM

yep. thats a good idea. i like riding around town with my 8" kockwerks flare. For long trips I might put on the MadStad (when I'm able to get another one... ) or a taller flare windshied (which I might add, I'm going to be reviewing their 8", 12" and 16" soon on my blog).
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Life Member

As far as I know, the MadStad is the only one that offers the adjustment option. This gives you the opportunity to set it, try it and change it till you get it just right. This will allow you to ask "How is it now honey?" multiple times instead of buying multiple shields. I like the look and it does exactly what they say it will do. I stopped at a local watering hole today because I saw two Sharks parked in front. I pulled in to check out the bikes and shoot the breeze. Both of the guys wanted to know about the shield. Both liked the idea of it being adjustable and neither thought it looked bad. I did my best to fit all three bikes in. That's mine in the middle with the 13" MadStad.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 AM

I'm not saying I want to ride in a bubble... I've been running Dyna's for years. The splitter looks good and seems fine to me. The wife weighs about 100 pounds and is getting beat up. I like the look of the the fairing, and agree that although functional, I don't like the look of the madstad. Like the look of the windvest, leaning towards a 14 inch tinted version. They usually have a booth at easyriders and will be in Anaheim in about a month..... We'll see.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Life Member

A big issue is this is a very opinionated question. People like/dislike Madstad, people like/dislike Windvest etc.etc.

For me, I used a 14" Windvest, my passenger never complained and fell asleep while riding

However, I am on the fence about getting a Madstad for a very long trip planned next year.

Great!! Now I just confused myself!!! Im no help

Last edited by Mischief; 11-21-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Like the looks of the WV in your pic, I am going that route.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 PM

mischief... dude, your passenger looks hella pissed in that pic, while you have a big cheese grin. LOL
Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Life Member

I'll throw another one in the mix to consider. The Longride shields "MAKO". They look similar to the Windvest, but less expensive. I just put one on after using a Madstad for over a year. The Madstad does work great, but the looks wear on me. I wanted to find something functional that looked good and the MAKO appears to fit the bill at this point. Still too early to give it a definitive though.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlakerfan79 View Post
mischief... dude, your passenger looks hella pissed in that pic, while you have a big cheese grin. LOL
She was real pissed when she saw this pic of her sleeping on the bike
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Grey beard

I've had a 10" wv and 12" wv. I now have a 13" and a 16" MaddStadd, that's right both shields but only one bracket. The MaddStadd doesn't look that bad to me, but I run it different than most folks on here. My brackets lay flat against the base and I simply move them up and down to adjust the height of the shield. Works well for me and my daughter, who is the only one behind me these days, has no wind issues. It's fall/winter so the 16" is on and I like the look better with it on than the 13".

Nothing wrong with WV, used them for a few years until I found the MaddStadd. MaddStadd is just a much thicker shield and the adjustability is what I was looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.