2011 CVO Roadglide Ultra suspension upgrade-HELP - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Default 2011 CVO Roadglide Ultra suspension upgrade-HELP

I know there are a ton of posts regarding this subject. Mind boggling. Way too many choices out there. Here is my dilemma. I ride a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra-13"shocks(solo 50% of the time). I tried Progressive 940's from my local dealer as a demo. I liked the ride improvement in the twistys and on bumps and humps but it felt stiffer on normal roads(I could feel almost every imperfection in the pavement but no bottoming out, riding solo with virtually no pre-load). I felt that the ride quality was very similar to a stock Road Glide Custom-12" shocks. Also liked the fact that I could reach the ground better(I am 5'7" 180lbs). I didn't like having to remove the saddlebags to adjust the pre-load.(I wasn't comfortable just leaning the bags against my leg during the adjustment process due to the potential "stretching" of the electrical connections for the power locks and Ipod or worse,dropping the saddlebag on the ground by accident(CVO paint repairs are not cheap).

I have read many posts regarding the choices available(Bitubo, Ohlin, Progressive, Works, Legends and Arnott). I understand any shock that isn't air ride is going to require me to pull the saddlebags. I also understand i will not get the performance upgrade I'm looking for with an air ride shock. .

My dealer recommends using Progressive air draggers rather than Legend or Arnott; he gives his vote of confidence to Progressive because affordable suspensions is their business and he has seen his share of issues with the other air ride systems. I have found nothing regarding the AirDraggers. Anyone currently using them or tried and didn't like them? I did call Progressive and the 444's were recommended by them saying I would only have to remove my bags to adjust them twice a week(solo during the week and 2 up on weekends). I ride about 14,000 miles per year starting in April until late November.(that's about 26 weeks times 2 = 50 plus times a season to pull and replace the bags)

My Priorities:
1)Better ride comfort overall than stock HD shocks(gotta keep the BSR happy)
2)Fairly easy to switch setting from one up to two up
3)Better performance on twistys and bumps and humps
4)Lower was nice but not real necessary.(I am not willing to compromise ride comfort for better handling;after all it is a 900 lb touring bike not a sport bike).

I realize there is no perfect solution to what I am trying to accomplish.
Based on my priorities has anyone had the same issue and reached a compromise that is acceptable?
I am also going to install Progessive Monotubes at the same time.

2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
***Charcoal Slate/Black Twilight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Grey beard

Call Howard @ Motorcycle Metal and tell him what you're looking for. I just rode a bike over the weekend with a set of the Ohlins shocks he sells and they freaking rock, wow what a difference. Just ordered myself a set of JRI's a little while ago. I didn't believe the hype until this weekend. You have no idea what you're missing.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM

I talked to Howard today and he was very informative. I am really hoping someone that has used Progressive Air Draggers chimes in with a response regarding their performance. No one out there has ever tried them???

2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
***Charcoal Slate/Black Twilight
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 PM

Sorry, I am very pleased with my Ohlin 3-3s in back and Progressive monotubes up front. Only takes me about 5 minutes if I decide to adjust the shocks when Momma comes for a ride.... I think both the ride and the handling were noticibly improved.
2011 FLTRU Because Momma wants me to be happy and because we all know deep down in our hearts that black bikes are faster! Thundermax TBW with Tman 555 tq cams, Drago's Dragula 2:1 exhaust and a Big Sucker. Lowered 1" with Progressive Monotubes and Ohlin 3-3s. SG rear facia, BAL-1, Daymakers, Diamond Plate Collection, 16" Madstad, J&M Rokkers with Bazooka 200.4 amp, Lenale fan, Harley Road Zepplin, 12" Wild Ones Chubby Outlawz and a G-Max 205-55-16 rear tire.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Life Member

I just put JRi 12" A on my RGC. Love em. I have not changed preload setting Howard (MotorcycleMetal) did on them whether solo or 2 up. Mine do not have the sweep valve. I did not want to have to remove saddlebags to adjust. Great ride. And they are not even broken in yet. The wife really noticed the difference and I had not told her I had installed them.

I wish I had known about the JRi's long ago.

87hp 101tq
Contrast Chrome Agitators 19/18
Baggershield
Harley Hammock-Adj.Back Rest
King Tour Pac-Air Wing Rack(black)-Smoked LED-4 Pt.Dock-Black Latches & Hinges
Custom Dynamics LED's & Plazma Rods smoked front & rear with Magic Strobe
J&M 250w Fairing + Lower Rokkers
Saddlebag Bra
Hidden Multi-Color LEDs
Jagg Fan Assisted Oil Cooler
Kuryakyn Passenger detach. ArmRest & adj. pegs

Last edited by jimmyray11349; 11-22-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: JRi Shocks