New PM wheels & Tires Low Speed Wobble - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires Section for Roadglide wheels and tires

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Default New PM wheels & Tires Low Speed Wobble

Installed Performance Machine rims 21 in the front 17 in the back, less than 200 miles I developed a low speed wobble dealership/stealership says PM rims are the issue installed wrong. Performance machine installed them in OC Maryland.

Sooooo, now I'm told my 2011 Road Glide Ultra is going to give me problems with the new wheel combo. Anyone have any info on this issue. Is the dealership blowing smoke? Any advice would be welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
www.hogpro.com

What kind of tires are you running and at what pressures?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPro View Post
What kind of tires are you running and at what pressures?
and has the fallaway been set to spec?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratch View Post
and has the fallaway been set to spec?
+1 head bearing needs tightened I would guess
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM

They said they set the fall away, correctly 42 lbs in the front and 52 in the rear as per PM. I'm running metzlers came with the rims supposedly made specifically for 21's. I bought the whole package setup from PM. The Bike is still at the dealership, there saying because there Pm's the fall away is harder to set. I think there full of it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 PM

What is the fallaway?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
What is the fallaway?
Its a term used to check the adjustment of the steering head bearings. Road Glides seem to like them tighter then the batwings. To check it jack the front end off the ground and inch or two and tuen the handle bars all the way in one direction then release them. Count how many times the front end swings back and forth. Spec should be 1 to 2 swings, its its more then that steering wobble can and will be an issue. If they do need adjusting try and get it to the tighter side. If you still have wobble have the balance of the wheels rechecked.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Grey beard

How are the wheels balanced? I'll bet that external weights were not used. It sounds like either Dyna beads or Ride On balancing liquid may have been used or some similar type of internal balancing system was used.

Ride On balancing liquid will lead to a low speed wobble/vibration until the tires warm up for a couple of miles. The bonus is no unsightly weights on the outside of the wheel. The downside is the vibration.

Dyna beads could experience the same vibration when starting out on cold tires. The beads are controlled by inertia like the liquid
Calgaryglide. '08 Road Glide, Platinum White with wood trim, Thundermax Autotune, Dragula 2:1, Drago 510 cams, Glidepro motor mount and rear bushing, Zippers chain tensioners, K&N a/c, BAL, Rokker XTs and lots of other stuff.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 AM

My new tires wheels will have Ride-on (did not see this post). Any experience regarding cold temps? I imagine in the summer it will level out faster. With this cold Michigan weather if it's a nice day (40) will I have major problems.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neano62

I bought RCComponent 'Nitro' wheels , 838 miles into my New 2009 FLTR.
I didnt get 5 miles down the roads, and got the dreaded 'Wobble', with my hands off the Handlebars!
Took bike in for 1000 mile break in service, and the 'Fallaway' was 6 Schwings!!!
Got it adj. and was good to go for almost xactly 5000 miles!
Then it came back.
Replaced, bottom triple tree plate, 2 winters ago. Bearings were 'SHOT' and couldnt get the bolt that holds them together 'LOOSE'!
bout 9000 miles , after replacing, what I've just stated , havent had any more problems!
Is ur Dealer blowing smoke?,....possibly!
52 lbs. of air in ur Rear Tire? take it down to 40lbs.
I'd lay a $20,00 bill on the Table and say ya aint got nutn wrong w/ur Rims and Tires!
Find the most xperienced mechanic in ur area, and buy him a few,....whateva's! Shoot the Shit and get to know him WELL!!!