Deer strike at 45mph - Page 7 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM

you get a Power Ball ticket this week for sure !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Grey beard

Wow! freakin deer! Good luck on your recovery.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Wow!! Unreal.. So glad you're ok.. Like you and others have said.. Your bike can be replaced.. Training,, a lil luck,, and maybe a lil the Man upstairs looking out for ya.. Good luck in getting your bike fixed.
2010 FLTRX - Stage 4 SE 113 - MVA Heads, 10.5:1, SE266E cams, 58mm TB, 5.3 gr/s injectors, Polished and plated motor and trans and a few chrome extras. Fullsac DX Header and Freedom Performance Classic 4" Slip-ons. Titan II 6.5 speakers with RF PBR300x2, Monroe Airshocks
1996 Tail dragin' Fatboy
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM

UPDATE: There isn't really much of an update. It's been a week since the crash. I spoke with HD Atlanta. The estimate is over $11,000 in damage but she said she 'thinks' they're going to repair it. She stated that the denim paint is "hard to match" so the estimate is based on replacing almost all the parts with new, ordered from Harley. Progressive did come out 'last week' she said, however I've checked their online system and there is no update. I just placed a call to the adjuster so I'm waiting to see what he says.

I'm really okay with it either way, I'm just happy to walk away from an $11,000 deer strike. Ribs are 100%, knee still a little sore and bruised but okay for the most part.

If they repair, I will be seeing if they can order the replacement parts in big blue pearl. If they repair, I will be looking to order, probably the road glide but in an ultra this time (instead of the custom and adding the trunk, etc), in big blue pearl.

Thanks all for the kind words. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it all works out in the end and I can get back on two wheels. It's killing me to see the sun shining today and not having a bike to ride.
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM

That's my biggest fear riding up here in IA in the fall is all the damn deer.
Most of the guys I ride with don't even like to ride after dark anymore.

Glad you're OK, everything can be replaced but you, and that's all that matters!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Well, the final total from Progressive turned out to be $11,733.89. Minus the $500 deductible, they cut a check today for $11,233.89. I was a bit confused because they cut the check made out to HD Atlanta. When I called the guy he acknowledged it's MY money, not the dealerships, so he's cancelled that check and will be issuing one to me.

So, for those that are still reading, I would like to get some opinions. I'm just curious how others would proceed. As I see it, my options are as follows:

1. I have already spoke with the dealership about the possibility of signing the title on the bike over to them, signing the check over to them and paying the extra on a new bike. The one I was considering was a roadglide ultra that they have in the showroom. The hang tag on it shows about $22,500. They made an initial offer of taking the bike, the check and then me paying an extra $10,600 or so for the new bike. I threw these numbers around and ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT do that deal. The number I had in my mind was more in the $5000 out of pocket range (+ the $11000 check).

2. Repair the bike as written up on the estimate sheet. It includes replacing ALL the tins, even though none are cracked or dented, just simply scratched, replacing the tourpak with the smoked lights as it was etc etc. I can change the color to any color I want (it would be big blue pearl). There are also parts listed on the estimate that I am positive do not need to be replaced (for example, the jiffystand and spring at a cost of $134 and the split vision mirrors at a cost of $119.95). Although this is the EASY solution, there is so much waste in doing it this way as I'm literally paying for things such as a new front fairing at a cost of $501 and new bags at a cost of $1,516 when all they have is surface scratches. These prices apply to all the parts, I just used those 2 as examples. If doing this I would probably also pay a bit extra and have the front end chrome and the inner fairing color matched.

3. Have the dealer remove all the tins and have them custom painted at a reputable local shop. Have the dealer complete all the other necessary work such as replacing the front forks (really the only 'damaged' part) and install the tins after they are painted. By doing this I can pick any paint job I want (kinda still lean towards the big blue pearl as I love that color) but potentially save thousands in replacing parts that really don't need replacing. Another option would be watching craigslist or ebay for complete sets of painted tins as these are often available. Again, doing this I would probably chrome the front end and color match the inner fairing.

Also, if there are any of you that have used or work at any local shops in the Atlanta region, let me know. I appreciate any input
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Grey beard

order the parts already painted ,factory finish,from either PC_PAIN or directcycleparts at a discount,install them yourself and spend the leftover on accessories.that would be my plan,especially since it's winter,you have plenty of time.

or you could go the custom paint route if you choose.

or you could take the check,use it for a down payment on a new bike at another dealership,or perhaps trade in your fixable bike.

can't blame ya for turning down these guys,sounds like they wanted you to pay full price for a new bike and just give them your old one!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglide View Post
order the parts already painted ,factory finish,from either PC_PAIN or directcycleparts at a discount,install them yourself and spend the leftover on accessories.that would be my plan,especially since it's winter,you have plenty of time.

or you could go the custom paint route if you choose.

or you could take the check,use it for a down payment on a new bike at another dealership,or perhaps trade in your fixable bike.

can't blame ya for turning down these guys,sounds like they wanted you to pay full price for a new bike and just give them your old one!
Yea, I had considered Jon or another online source also. I have used him before with great success. Replacing the tins isn't exactly rocket science, I'm sure (those side covers sure are hard to snap on ha ha).
Old 11-22-2012, 05:25 AM

I'll be eating deer back-strap and tenderloin today - with gravy and onions. I'll get some revenge for ya!!! I've killed two recently - one with my truck and one with a rifle.....
Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Joe View Post
I'll be eating deer back-strap and tenderloin today - with gravy and onions. I'll get some revenge for ya!!! I've killed two recently - one with my truck and one with a rifle.....
That does make me feel better....tenderloin is the best....happy thanksgiving