Deer strike at 45mph - Page 8 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neano62

SCARY Story!,...
45 mph Impact is quite a BLOW!
The momentum HAD to keep you up-rite. Its amazing that it did. Scary Story!,...Have I stated that???
Tour-Pak X-ploding, is pretty wicked. Bullet-Proof Vest is now a Rib-Proof Deer Vest! !
Shuuuuu,.....
W-O-W!!!
Take ur Bike to Covingtons, Baggernation, or Sinister Ind.
Give them ur 12,000 check and tell them too build you a 26 inch Rideable Bad-Ass-Mutha,.. King Ass Stereo,...Killer Paint Job,..Stretched Tank ,.... Harley Davd-SON!!!
Woah-,...SCARY!?
Happy Turkey Day Man!
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Grey beard

SharkBite, as it sounds like you are eyeballing a new bike anyway, here's what I would do.

Repair the bike as cheaply as you can. Buy parts from eBay or Craig's List and DIY what you can over the winter. Tins are easy to swap, and things like the forks that may be over your head, have an Indy do the work. Leave the small scratches if they are not too bad, and it will save you some money. I'm not suggesting you do a shoddy job, just keep the budget in check. Take your time, buy take off parts as they become available, and don't get carried away with extras. It could be a fun winter project as well.

Next spring when it's all done and riding season is starting, sell it yourself. You'll always get more for it than trading it in. I'm also not suggesting that you try and pull a fast one on a buyer. If they ask if it's been in a wreck, let them know. This may turn off some buyers, others it may not, you'll still have a clean title. Take your profit from the sale, and what's left of the insurance money, and head to the dealer. You are likely to do pretty well on a nine month old 2013, or wait and see what the 2014's look like.

Personally, I'd never be happy riding a bike that had as much damage as yours does. But that's just me, I'm a bit OCD...

Officer John Wintergreen reference his Electra Glide.

-Electra Glide in Blue, 1973-

Last edited by FLTRI; 11-22-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Grey beard

Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...81c5b5&vxp=mtr

Nearly new forks for $350 Buy It Now or $175 opening bid. And that was just a quick search.

I bought a salvaged title 2001 FXDX about 7 years ago and rebuilt the whole bike from eBay take off parts. I picked up an undamaged tank for $300 and had the fenders color matched for $200 Took the scratched primary, point cover and some other parts to a powder coater and had then done in wrinkle black. Everything came from eBay. Took me about a year, but came out very nice and I turned a tidy profit. Here's the before & after pics:

Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Grey beard

forks are really easy with the service manual and a vise..I have the jim's fork holder for a vice,and used the monotubes,they simplify it even more.I got my powdercoated lower forks for less than 200 from ebay.everyone is cheaper on everything than the moco!

oh yeah,many machine shops can straighten fork tubes for cheap too! just takes a die and a press brake.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
SharkBite, as it sounds like you are eyeballing a new bike anyway, here's what I would do.

Repair the bike as cheaply as you can. Buy parts from eBay or Craig's List and DIY what you can over the winter. Tins are easy to swap, and things like the forks that may be over your head, have an Indy do the work. Leave the small scratches if they are not too bad, and it will save you some money. I'm not suggesting you do a shoddy job, just keep the budget in check. Take your time, buy take off parts as they become available, and don't get carried away with extras. It could be a fun winter project as well.

Next spring when it's all done and riding season is starting, sell it yourself. You'll always get more for it than trading it in. I'm also not suggesting that you try and pull a fast one on a buyer. If they ask if it's been in a wreck, let them know. This may turn off some buyers, others it may not, you'll still have a clean title. Take your profit from the sale, and what's left of the insurance money, and head to the dealer. You are likely to do pretty well on a nine month old 2013, or wait and see what the 2014's look like.

Personally, I'd never be happy riding a bike that had as much damage as yours does. But that's just me, I'm a bit OCD...
I think this is good advice as much of it was. I am going to head to the dealer tomorrow and see what kind of offer I get on a new one when I sit down with them and crunch numbers. If those numbers don't work I will possibly have them do the only necessary work to make sure it's safe, which is minimal, and then just take my time either finding a set of tins for sale or a local (or not so local) painter. The ball is really in my court. Although I ride 12 months a year at least it's not 'prime' riding season.
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM

I spent my 'black friday' at the dealer negotiating and turning it into 'blue friday'. The bike has been replaced with a 2013 Roadglide ultra....here's the basics on the deal:

Initially when I asked if they had any interest in keeping my bike, my insurance check and working out a deal on a new one, the GM said absolutely.

The numbers they additionally came up with was me paying a difference of around $10,600. This wasn't anywhere near acceptable to me and I expected a low offer initially. This offer was conveyed to me by phone on wednesday. I had 'black friday' off of work so I set that day aside to try and play 'let's make a deal'.

After much negotiating the GM came to me and said that they were "all in" and could offer me a price difference out of my pocket of $6,779.19 out the door. I told him we were getting closer but that I was going to shop a few other dealers and just make sure the deal couldn't be sweeter. I told Jeff, the GM, that he knew I wanted to do business there as I had done so on my previous purchase and am always pleased with them. He acknowledged also wanting to do business. Before I walked out the door he sweetened the deal better. He brought the out of pocket amount down to a few dollars under $6,500.

The number I had in my mind that I wanted to get to was $6,000 so we were close. I told Jeff that I would do the deal IF they agreed to let me keep the following:

Mustang seat and backrest......$650
Ohlin 2-2a shocks......$600
Madstad windshield....$350
Adjustable crash bar footpegs.....$300
Split-Vision mirrors.....$120
Iphone/accessory mount.....$100
'Top Shelf bag organizers.....$100
Heated gear connector.....$20
Chrome license plate frame.....$20
Probably some other parts I forgot on this list.....priceless

So essentially, I was able to get them to agree to let me keep approximately $2,260 in parts that without a doubt I would have had to replace. In addition, I was allowed to keep the factory windshield and give them the cheesy 4 inch windshield that came on the custom originally. Additionally, I kept the seat of the 2013 and brought them the original seat from the 2010.

Obviously I could have fixed up the 2010 and came out thousands ahead if I did the repairs myself, had it done at a local custom shop or got the parts from one of our friends such as PC Pain. It however would have always been in my mind, as others have said, that the bike suffered $11,700 in damage. Ever since seeing the new blue color I loved it. By going with the 2013 ultra some of the advantages in my mind, over repair, were the fact that it was a new bike with 0 miles as opposed to the 18,000 miles I had on the 2010. The upgraded motor from the 96 to the 103. The addition of the intercom and cb on the 2013 (which I will use both). The other obvious 'improvement' is having that peace of mind that the bike is new, never damaged.

I put down a little. I also did get the 7 year (5 year really) extended service including tire/wheel after they agreed to discount it as they did last time (after giving them Kutter HD's online price). I paid for that outright and financed exactly $5000. At 3.99% the payment is $112 for 4 years. Without a doubt I'll pay it off early.

I'm happy with the decision to buy new. I feel that Jeff gave me a fair price where both they and I could benefit. Hat's off also to Mark Maria, the sales guy. He has been great as always. I love going in the dealership and always getting friendly hello's from the employees that all recognize me as a regular.

Knowing pics would be required I snapped a few. Thanks all for your advice and kind words

2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Old 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Life Member

Default glad you are okay

That is one for the books. Glad you are okay. The secret is out, Deer love to ride RGs too.

Trailers are for Boats!!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Hangaround

I would say you are a truly blessed man. I took a deer hit 2 months ago and didn't go down either. Mine wasn't nearly as bad as your is, about $3700 damage, as she hit me low and bounced off. I would chalk your not getting it worse to equal parts skill, being watched over (what some would call luck) and the choice of bike. Good luck, glad you're ok. Abe
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Grey beard

sounds like they treated you more than fair , enjoy the new ride
2011 FLTRX 103 Power Pak , T man 600 cams , Baisley Heads , Zipper's air cleaner, TTS tuner , Dragula pipe , Hawg Wired amp/speakers/tweeter grills , custom Mustang Seat, LRS 12" , HID Head Lights , Dakota Digital Gauges , BR 1 1/2" Sweeping Beater Bars , True Track Stabilizer, Ohlins shocks / Ohlins forks, Jagg Fan Assisted 10 row oil cooler & so much more TJ Sunny Florida
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Grey beard

Looks like your dealer took care of you alright. Good lookin' 13, enjoy the new ride and watch out for deer...