Any Recommendations / Suggestions about "Biker Gel" or "Memory" foams? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Seating: seats, backrests

Seating: seats, backrests SEATING: seats, backrests for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Shark of the Month November 2013

Default Any Recommendations / Suggestions about "Biker Gel" or "Memory" foams?

You guys have probably seen all the claims back and forth about foam seats, gel seats, this, that, and the other thing.

Getting ready to modify my new solo seat with my local auto-upholstery guy, using some exotic leather just on the seating panel. Got to talking about the foam inside. He says he has access to gel and has done three seats in that material before. Then there's memory foam, which I guess is a premium foam we could pick up somewhere.

Then there's the cheap crap laying around his shop which is probably the same thing that's stuffed inside there now. I'd sure appreciate any input from anybody who has put a few miles on one or the other seat stuffing other than the standard foam. Thanks.

Last edited by 13FLTRX; 11-21-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 PM

I utilize a Buttbuffer pad on top of my seat but it can also be built into your seat. The comfort the pad adds is amazing allowing you to ride longer with less fatigue.
Check out the website buttbuffer.com
Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FLTRX View Post
You guys have probably seen all the claims back and forth about foam seats, gel seats, this, that, and the other thing.

Getting ready to modify my new solo seat with my local auto-upholstery guy, using some exotic leather just on the seating panel. Got to talking about the foam inside. He says he has access to gel and has done three seats in that material before. Then there's memory foam, which I guess is a premium foam we could pick up somewhere.

Then there's the cheap crap laying around his shop which is probably the same thing that's stuffed inside there now. I'd sure appreciate any input from anybody who has put a few miles on one or the other seat stuffing other than the standard foam. Thanks.
Pro pad gel pads in mooresville nc. I used one on a RK for over 30k miles ,its the real deal.

I like my stock seat on th RGU for now (11k miles) when it breaks down and it will i will go to pro pad for a insert. They sell the over pads or will insert in your seat.
I have no affiliation with this co but they were good to deal with in my case , and there product works.
Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Grey beard

I've had 5 or more seats made by Mark Hart at HARTCO -- he uses the material used in the space shuttle seats -- I love em.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGU2011 View Post
Pro pad gel pads in mooresville nc. I used one on a RK for over 30k miles ,its the real deal.

I like my stock seat on th RGU for now (11k miles) when it breaks down and it will i will go to pro pad for a insert. They sell the over pads or will insert in your seat.
I have no affiliation with this co but they were good to deal with in my case , and there product works.
Does this company do ride in work in mooresville? I am a couple hours away and would be interested in giving the gel a shot...
Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 PM

I heard gel doesn't "breath" and your butt sweats. I don't know if this is true, but stands to reason.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Prospect

Smile Gel

Went to gel for driver and rider. No comparison and the butt does not sweat. Standard seat foam is cut out and gel pad put in with new foam over - air passes through so it does not sweat. Fixed my broke a$$ bone from the word go!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Shark of the Month November 2013

Thank you for all the responses. I'll look into all of them (except maybe riding to No. Carolina- LOL!)
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Grey beard

I opted for the gel insert, when I ordered my LePera seat, and am very pleased with it. Most comfortable seat I've ever owned.

Vendors who downplay gel, because it doesn't "breathe", are basically full of shit. Think about it. Your seat is covered with waterproof vinyl for crying out loud. That's the first thing your butt comes in contact with. What's beneath it isn't going to "breathe", no matter what it's made of. Lots of businesses like to downplay products they can't, or choose, not to offer. Take it with a grain of salt.

For keeping your rear end cool, it's hard to beat a sheepskin pad, that allows air to circulate between you, and the seat.JMO.

Jeff
Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Life Member

Default Seats

Check out Mean City Cycles, they do a great job on seats and have different types to work with. A lot of members on this site have used them and are happy with the results, including me. Yes they do advertise on this website, but they are pretty good at what they do and easy to work with.

Last edited by FLTRXS15; 11-23-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.