A little feedback ......... - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

*General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Grey beard

Default A little feedback .........

Ok, so I'm not trying to be paranoid, but something about the bike is bugging me.

When on the freeway at higher speeds (about 80-85) the front end of the bike feels shaky, like its jumping left and right. It has been windier than normal since I got the bike haven't had a calm day to compare. My old RGC never moved on me like this regardless of speed or winds. Took it to the dealer, they checked fall away and wheel bearings and said everything is normal. Mechanic told me its the taller shield of the ultra in combination with the tour pack that catches more wind.........?

There is no wobble in the bars at any speed it's the bike moving left to right.....

Anyone got anything here? Hopefully the madstad arrives soon so I can compare......

Thanks
FM
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Administrator

I dunno but I dont buy the mechanics song either

JtB
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Hangaround

Im not an expert, but some things you may want to look at.

Could your front suspension be stiffer than what you're use to? That could make the front end a bit jumpier.

The type of surface your riding on. Does it have those anti skid lines carved into the pavement? That with possibly a different tread design may seem as if the front end is walking around more than usual.

And the easiest one, tire pressure. Try a few pounds less and see how it feels over the same road. Experiment some and see what you come up with.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerhog View Post
Im not an expert, but some things you may want to look at.

Could your front suspension be stiffer than what you're use to? That could make the front end a bit jumpier.

The type of surface your riding on. Does it have those anti skid lines carved into the pavement? That with possibly a different tread design may seem as if the front end is walking around more than usual.

And the easiest one, tire pressure. Try a few pounds less and see how it feels over the same road. Experiment some and see what you come up with.
Thanks for your input, my tire pressure was my first thought but its right where it should be front and rear, the front suspension, have no clue, whatever comes stock from the factory, haven't changed it. The surface is standard highway pavement. Hopefully the madstad comes soon and I can see what affect if any the stock kite windshield is having on this. Will try letting some air out as well and see what happens.

As for the skids lines, glad you brought that up, none on the roads but that's what the bike feels like, as if I was riding on them.

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 11-23-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 AM

It could be your windshield. I cut 4" off my RSV Venture shield and highway manners actually improved. Much less buffeting from 18 wheelers etc.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Grey beard

I noticed it with my old RG and my new one too... different windshields changed reaction to 16 wheeler turbulence (ride at about 80 MPH or above when passing) plus a little tail-wag if adding the removable tour-pack when there are some gusty cross-winds. I've gotten used to it since both my 2010 and my new 2013 seem to do just about the same thing - noticeable but not a big deal. Never any true "wobble" whatsoever with almost 40K miles now between these two RG Customs and, for my $.02 anyway, nothing startling or dangerous. That's with 3 windshield changes plus changing the tour pack on/off mode lots of times.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4getNo1 View Post
I noticed it with my old RG and my new one too... different windshields changed reaction to 16 wheeler turbulence (ride at about 80 MPH or above when passing) plus a little tail-wag if adding the removable tour-pack when there are some gusty cross-winds. I've gotten used to it since both my 2010 and my new 2013 seem to do just about the same thing - noticeable but not a big deal. Never any true "wobble" whatsoever with almost 40K miles now between these two RG Customs and, for my $.02 anyway, nothing startling or dangerous. That's with 3 windshield changes plus changing the tour pack on/off mode lots of times.

Ok brother thanks. Hopefully the madstad arrives today.......
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Life Member

Just be patient with the MadStad Adjustment ~ I found the easiest way was to download the angle app on my droid so I could get an accurate reading ~ 58-59 seems to be the number ~ Height is different for each bike & rider ~ I am a fan of the MadStad but and have it dialed in but am changing seats so I'm sure the adjustment will change ~ SemperFi
Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdm View Post
Just be patient with the MadStad Adjustment ~ I found the easiest way was to download the angle app on my droid so I could get an accurate reading ~ 58-59 seems to be the number ~ Height is different for each bike & rider ~ I am a fan of the MadStad but and have it dialed in but am changing seats so I'm sure the adjustment will change ~ SemperFi

Thanks for the heads up on the app, was going to buy a tool at the hardware store lol. The tracking info now shows the shield delayed and there is no way I would get it if it was in Jacksonville this morning, so we will see when it arrives.

Hopefully Howard calls me soon about the JRI shocks too......
Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
Took it to the dealer, they checked fall away and wheel bearings and said everything is normal.
Did they RIDE it? Have him get it up to 90 and take his hands off the bars. If he refuses, everything is not normal.