question about load rating and suspension - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires Section for Roadglide wheels and tires

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Hangaround

Default question about load rating and suspension

I'm chomping at the bit to get new wheels but have a few questions. I have a '11 FLTRU, the wheel sizes are 16" in the rear and 17" in the front. I'm looking at going 2" bigger on each wheel. Here are the questions;

-Is there a substantial difference in the load rating of the 2" larger tires.
-do I need to drop my suspension to keep the ride height the same.
-any geometry issues with the FLTRU going up in tire size.

I know HD offers aftermarket wheels in the stock size but there are a couple of wheels on the Coastal Moto website that I like better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Prospect

heres what I would tell you. I let the dealer order my wheel sizes and they did exactly what your talking about as far as going 2" bigger. I regret it!!!! I like my bike slammed and now I have an 18" wheel in the back and I hate it. if I had to do it all over again I would have a 16" in the rear fo more clearance. The 21" front is great but I would put monotubes in the front forks to lower the front and do away with the massive amount of dive that the stock configuration has. (I ended up denting my front fender). Also if you stay with the 16" rear tire size you can put a 200mm tire on the back. so its really more about the look you want. I wish I knew somebody who wanted an 18" RC Componets "Calypso" rear wheeel
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louster47 View Post
heres what I would tell you. I let the dealer order my wheel sizes and they did exactly what your talking about as far as going 2" bigger. I regret it!!!! I like my bike slammed and now I have an 18" wheel in the back and I hate it.
what size tire did they put on it? if you went with the stock cvo 18'' tire, then it should have only raised your profile 3/8'' from the 16'' wheel. hardly enough to hate it so vehemently.