Why did you choose a Custom over an Ultra??? - Page 5 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Life Member

When I was shopping in earnest, I had made up my mind to get an Ultra, then make into a Custom with the QD gear. Yeah right. The TP is just too handy & I can buy other stuff with those funds. I don't like the look of the dash or the blue stripe, hope to figure some way to change it to something else someday. I didn't like the wheels either but planed to change those too regardless of Custom or Ultra so that was immaterial.

The main reason for the Ultra for me was lean angle, I drag stuff in the curves and with an Ultra I have a little more ground clearance. I really like the look of the low stance on the Custom but prefer the function a slightly higher ride height. Another inch of travel isn't much but for us Big Ole Boys, it can be important. I know I could jack up the Custom, just didn't think that would look right.

I like the Custom rear treatment, I will probably add the fascia (& yet another brake light) if I keep it long enough but I like the Ultra tail light, not because it looks better, it doesn't, but because I nearly had to buy a buddy a new CVO fender for running up on him when I didn't notice his brake lights on. I have the tour pack spoiler with lights and the luggage rack with lights and saddle bag spoilers rigged as run/brake/turn so there ain't no mistak'n when I'm turning or on the brakes.

The fact that right about the time I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Ultra, a Craigslist search yielded an '12 BBP FLTRU with $3k worth of accessories already installed along with the take offs, only 2,500 miles and at a lower price than a Custom had absolutely nothing to do with the bike now sitting in my garage.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Life Member

Was looking at the Custom to start then added up all the stuff and decided to go Ultra. Ended up with the CVO.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Price

I picked the custom up with 400 miles for 19K OTD thats the only reason i didnt do the Ultra.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Hangaround

I fell in love with the Anniversary paint scheme. If it had been an ultra or custom, would have been fine either way for me. I plan to add a tourpak and lowers for some more speakers first part of the new year.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Grey beard

I've never needed any of the FULL extras an Ultra comes with including the lowers. I just use cheap soft-lowers on the engine guard if necessary.

Therefore, when I bought a black denim '10 FLTRX, I just ordered a color matched quick-detach tour-pack for trips with mama. Then, when I bought my new '13, I made the stealer swap the old stuff I wanted onto the new scoot as part of the deal and will repaint the old tour-pack candy orange.

Bottom line... why pay extra for stuff you don't use? Get the stuff you want instead and move it to the new scoot when the time comes.

Last edited by 4getNo1; 11-23-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Life Member

Paint, looks, price - pretty much in that order. Yes, it ended up costing me close to the price of a 12 Ultra after adding color matched King TP, and a few other things, but add disconnect hardware and new paint to an Ultra and you see where I'm headed...
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Hangaround

Black denim!!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Default i didnt!

got the ultra so the wifey could be happy! happy wife is happt life!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Well the Ultra wasn't out when I bought my custom, but even if it was I would have still bought the custom.

I was actually looking at used 09s, because I wanted the Mirage Orange. I even looked at ones with matching tourpacks. But visually, they still were just a blah bike with a nice paint job, they really didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. Then I saw the 2010 Custom, and it was like "wow, that's sweet".

And now that the Ultra's are out, I'd still opt for a custom because I like the look better. I can add lower fairings and a tour pack to my custom, and still have an ultra type bike but with all the cool looking custom parts and wheels on it.

If looks were secondary to function, then it would be an Ultra all day for sure.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Life Member

Becaue they didn't make the Ultra in Chrome Yellow! Once I saw one, there was no turning back!

2012 FLRTX Chrome Freaking Yellow