Poll- Motorcycle Lift for Winter storage - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Equipment-RG

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

View Poll Results: How do you store your bike for the winter?
On a lift/lifted off the ground 30 37.04%
On it's kickstand and haven't had any flat spots on tires 48 59.26%
On it's kickstand and I have had problems with flat spots on tires. 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Poll- Motorcycle Lift for Winter storage

I am interested in reviewing some responses to this poll. Please only respond if you store your bike without riding it for the winter so the results are not skewed. It would be interesting to see how many people store their bikes lifted off the ground, how many store them on their side stands without acquiring flat spots on their tires and how many have stored their bikes on their side stands but have fallen victim to flat spots on their tires.

Thanks in advance for your participation. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Feel free to also respond with comments based off your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Grey beard

I'm not gonna vote as I ride all year, and it will skew you poll. I used to leave my bike on a Craftsman lift all the time when not riding. I did it to combine limited storage space, more than anything else. My bike does stay parked for long periods of time in the summer, that's off season for me. Not much fun riding in 115 degrees.

I've never noticed any flat spotting...

Officer John Wintergreen reference his Electra Glide.

-Electra Glide in Blue, 1973-

Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Being in Florida, I ride all year round, and when I lived in the midwest I still rode all year. My father used to park his bike in the winter, never had a problem with the tires after leaving the bike on the kickstand.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Life Member

I have a couple bikes in Condor stands and I have some on 1/2" rubber weightlifting mats to keep them off of the concrete. The glide I use all year long provided no snow or salt on the road. Never had a tire issue yet.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 PM

I just bought a J & S lift and am storing mine on it this winter. All previous bikes were stored on the side stand with something between the concrete and tires(usually a heavy duty rubber bottom rug). Never had any problems with the tires.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 PM

I used to store for the winter on side stand on my old bike with no issues and now store my RG on a Condor wheel chock straight up.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Hangaround

My job requires me being away for extended periods summer and winter. I use the Craftsman jack lowered to it's bottom stop. It keeps the bike sitting level with minimal weight on the tires and no weight on the hydraulics.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Grey beard

I've had my bikes sit for as long as 7 months without issue while i was in Iraq. All I did was connect a battery tender and a double dose of Stabil. Every time I returned home all I did was check tire pressure and fire her up. No flat spots on tires, no leaky seals, no spider where they don't belong. Only complaint I could possibly think of is they get a little dusty. Nothing a bath cant fix.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Prospect

My winter storage is very easy. I ride down to about 25F as long as there is no snow on the road. That means there are only a few days in January that I don't ride. Kick stand and a cover gets me through the winter with no problems. No need for any special storage configuration such as specialty stands, battery tender or similar issues. Last year it sat for all of about 2 days at a time.
If you decide to ride when its cold, get the right gear. I ride with an FXRG jacket, lined jeans and heavy gloves when it gets cold. The right gear makes all the difference in the world. My shark is far more forgiving on a cold morning than my old bat wing was. My hands were icicles on that bat wing.
Added equipment was a stage 1 HD air cleaner, a Cee Baileys windshield and a turn out boot heel guard. I also went with the BAL1 tail light MOD. You can never be too safe with lighting. Now I am riding a Vision with minor mods to give me this.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Hangaround

OOPS, voted then read.

I live in Alberta Canada and store my bike on the side stand all winter. I do get out for rides when I can, at least 1/month.

Sorry

12 Road Glide Custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.