Lower fairing question - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Equipment-RG

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
Yes they will work. You can use either the vented or non-vented on your 2010 bike. The vented fairing lowers will fit 1983 and later touring models except for the 1998 - 2009 FLTR. The 1998 -2009 FLTR requires the non-vented fairing lowers.
The issue you're talking about with '98-'09 RGs is because the bottom of the (upper) fairing gets in the way of the vented lowers (non-vented fits because they're a bit shorter I guess). In 2010, HD changed the angle of the upper fairing, allowing vented lowers (from any year) to clear the fairing. But that's a separate issue from the top cap extension - lower fairings from bikes older than 2010 will need to be trimmed because of the RG fairing mount.

2011 FLTRX 103

VH Dresser Duals | Klock Werks SS | HD Ventilator | Power Vision | Santees 11in Apes | CB SSC Euro 15in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Life Member

I did put the vented fairing lowers on my 08 and I had to change the main fairing bracket that mounts the upper fairing to the frame and the side fairing brackets that mount the upper fairing to the crash bar. I forgot that the early model fairing lowers have the longer crash bar cover then the newer fairing lowers. The newer fairing do not need to be trimed.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
The bottom line is if HD makes the parts then the parts will fit for the application mentioned.
Not so. On my '12, HD's trim for the windshield is off by a good 1/4"-3/8" on the mounting screws. The book says it'll fit but it won't. The techs say it'll fit but it's a 'bitch' to install. I say it won't and someone in guality control at the moco farped that one up. On a part that fits, absolutely every screw hole should line up. In the automotive industry, parts like Harley's trim for the windshield are called defects - Harley just calls them a 'bitch' to install. lmfao...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-roadglidr View Post
It took a while to find it, but there is a great posting on the cvo forum about this. I am in the process of changing fairing mounts and installing lowers. Here is a pic of the old vs new lowers. The pre '10 is on the left.

Attachment 16947

and the link to the posting:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=43537.0
Thats the reason I did not go aftermarket for my fairing lowers....I didn't want to trim and F**K it up and have to end up buying new top caps...I got a great deal on a set and am very happy with the fit and finish of the Genuine H-D lowers
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill View Post
Not so. On my '12, HD's trim for the windshield is off by a good 1/4"-3/8" on the mounting screws. The book says it'll fit but it won't. The techs say it'll fit but it's a 'bitch' to install. I say it won't and someone in guality control at the moco farped that one up. On a part that fits, absolutely every screw hole should line up. In the automotive industry, parts like Harley's trim for the windshield are called defects - Harley just calls them a 'bitch' to install. lmfao...
I use to have the HD windshield trim on my bike and I installed the trim myself and yes it will fit and yes it is a bitch to install. I don't have the windshield trim on the bike anymore because it caused paint damage to my outer fairing and it cost me over $300 to fix it so I wouldn't recommend the windshield trim to anyone.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Hangaround

Quote:
I use to have the HD windshield trim on my bike and I installed the trim myself and yes it will fit and yes it is a bitch to install. I don't have the windshield trim on the bike anymore because it caused paint damage to my outer fairing and it cost me over $300 to fix it so I wouldn't recommend the windshield trim to anyone.
It's not drilled properly. You can force it on like you did and the Harley techs do, but it's not a true fit. Then you get to dick with it every time you change shields or need to jack with the fairing. You bring up another problem with it though, and that's the fact that the Harley part screws up the Harley paint job, lololol.... yeah, all Harley branded parts fit right, lmfao... my ass they do...

Not trying to be argumentative - just talking from 40+ years of parts selling experience. A part that fits, means the mounting holes line up without having to angle the mounting bolts at 30 degrees to 'suck' the part into position.

Last edited by illwill; 11-30-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Life Member

Any windshield trim will damage the paint not just the HD trim the Kuryakyn trim will damage the paint as well. The HD windshield trim is the only HD accessory that I have heard of that people have a problem installing.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have had the Kury trim on for over 31K and I have not seen any damage. Just had it off about 1K ago.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Life Member

so, did you buy the fairing lowers?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 PM

By the time I typed my comment I forgot what the thread was about.