Winter mods for the shark - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Road Glide Builds-Document your builds HERE --NEW

Road Glide Builds-Document your builds HERE --NEW Road Glide Builds. Please post photos of your builds to help the rest of us out. All information is welcome but please limit it to Roadglide builds!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Grey beard

Default Winter mods for the shark

So I've had the RG since june and have only done a few minor things such as highway pegs and boom speakers. Now that winter is coming I decided to do a few more things and the other day my packages started coming in so I just can't keep the excitement to my self and my friends and co-workers are probably sick of hearing about it so I'll tell you guys.

Here is what the fedex/ups man left on my porch the other day.

These two boxes have everything I need to do my bars. I went with 16" Carlini Gangsters in 1.5in bars and I also got the bushings from them. The little box has all the not so fun but needed stuff. I got new risers from LA customs since they were cheaper than Carlini. I also got the wiring and cable kit from them along with the TBW extension. The bars were immaculate no imperfections anywhere and I think I am really going to like these a lot. The only issue so far is the cables I got weren't black and since I'm going with the ever so popular black out theme I sent them back and am awaiting refund to re order the black ones. So once those get back I will get the ball rolling on the bars.

heres some pics.

I also ordered true duals From Frank at Dragos with the dragula mufflers as well as a t-max tuner. I can't say enough about how easy it is to talk with frank and to order the parts from him. He is honest and extremely helpful in deciding what to get. He gave me a call last night and told me they were getting shipped out so I should have those probably tomorrow.

I also ordered a shift linkage from Nasty Baggers which will look like this.

The other things I have to find are a air cleaner and keep going back and forth between the harley heavy breather and one from fuel moto. At least I have all winter to figure it out. I am also planning on some black powder coating here and there and I am going to try and pick up a 8" klockwerks shield as well as a 12" windvest for touring especially for the trip to SWIII.

I also just want to thank everyone on this site for being so helpful to me and everyone else. Its rare to find a forum where the general population gets along and doesn't get into too many pissing matches this place is great

GLIDE OR DIE!!
TWO WHEEL MICHIGAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Life Member

Those shift linkages are pretty freakin cool. So much better than the stock crap we have. Can't wait to see that in a picture.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Grey beard

Looking good man, tasteful choices, that's gonna be one sick glide when you're done. You're gonna love the sound of that exhaust system man. Unless you just have to have the look of the heavy breather, just get a regular A/C and dress it up with the cover of your choice and save some cash. You can get a good deal on a Zippers unit from Frank too.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Grey beard

Pipes and everything are on and man this feels like a new bike. The throttle response is awesome and my ass dyno is happy I can't wait to get an air cleaner on. This thundermax was easy as pie to set up and the tune is awesome not a single pop on decel its just perfect and I didn't have to go to a dyno tuner. The pipes looks and sound awesome but they took me longer to get on then I thought. I learned a few things though, the right side rider floor board has to come off to get the old pipes off. Also I now hate hose clamps to keep the heat shields on I sure wish there was a better way because that took me the longest but it was worth it. Any ways here some pics and yes I know there shitty but youll just have to see it in person.

Got all the parts off and finally realized how easy those bags are to take off I'm for sure getting the brukus saddle bag secure.

In this one you can see how crowded the garage is with my grandpas ultra and my friend garys ultra and his old vulcan.

GLIDE OR DIE!!
TWO WHEEL MICHIGAN
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Grey beard

Getting there

When I went to take the stock ECM out I found some thing lets see if you can spot it. One of the guys from motor city must have left this after adjusting my clutch from the 1000 mile service.

All finished and ready to ride

I love these pipes

GLIDE OR DIE!!
TWO WHEEL MICHIGAN
Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Shark of the Month August 13

Bike looks good!! The black exhaust looks "right"
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBlack View Post
Bike looks good!! The black exhaust looks "right"
Hope fully over the next few months it will get a lot more black. Theres too much shiny on this thing haha

GLIDE OR DIE!!
TWO WHEEL MICHIGAN
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Shark of the Month August 13

LOL I know what you mean
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Grey beard

Well I was finally able to tackle my new bar project. Went with 16" Gangsters from Carlini and these are awesome. IMHO some of the best made bars I have seen. I was able to get help from my buddy GasMan at his house in the garage. This job took a lot longer than I thought it did but my local dealer quoted me 700 for the job so I saved big time and learned a lot about the bike. Although we did it in 14 hours its done and looks great and I know for a fact everything was done perfect.

So we started pulling everything and started to get a plan and grabbed a whole bunch of towels.

At one point moving everything around with the ignition of my forks locked on me and my ignition switch would not cooperate and would not go back in.
Then I got to putting the risers on from LA choppers which were a very nice piece.

Then we got into the wires. Getting the pins out of the connectors was easy once I got it done. My buddy was pissed because I bought the wire extension kit and he spent over an out putting pins on the extended wires then I ran them through the bars which was way easier than I thought due to the gradual curve and large diameter and found out that the wire extensions were not necessary with a simple re route of the cables.

Then it took us forever to figure out the reistalling the pin connectors and found out that it is way easier with the white/yellow piece back in but hind site is 20/20 i guess. I had to re-pin the TBW 3 times because fatigue set in and I kept putting them in the wrong order. After all that running the brake lines and bleeding them and installing the new clutch cable was easy except for threading the clutch cable through the clutch release cover which is always a PITA. Then way into the project we got to the purpose of the mod which was actually putting the bars on.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...e/IMG_2335.jpg

GLIDE OR DIE!!
TWO WHEEL MICHIGAN
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Grey beard

Then just a little bit of buttoning things up and lots of zip ties replaced we had the finished project which I couldnt be any more happy with.

Rode home at midnight in the cold and rain and was still grinning from ear to ear. and before everyone asks I am 6' and have the bars what I would call straight up and down and are super comfy and just a little bit over shoulder height.

GLIDE OR DIE!!
TWO WHEEL MICHIGAN