JRI Shocks Ordered - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums






Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!


Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!








Partner Links


Motorcycle Superstore









 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop Scoop is offline
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 175
Smile JRI B 13" review

I've had the JRI 13 " B's on now for about 400 miles+. Howard spent some time on the phone with me explaining the operation and set-up of these shocks. It took me some playing around to get the sag set correctly for my bike because I had to do it alone. I put a zip tie around the shock rod to help measure and finally got it so I use 90% of the stroke over a varying surface ride of about 100 miles. My initial set-up was to set the sweep valve 14 clicks counter-clockwise from fully damped. (That is, I started by closing the sweep valve fully clockwise until it stopped. Being careful not to over-tighten it.) With this set-up, the bike felt like a high-end European sports car. You could feel the road, but it wasn't harsh, and it was firmly planted and stable in all conditions. That was a little rough for me, so I went out 2 more clicks to 16 counter-clockwise. I've had it on some highways, some twisties and smooth backroads and like it very much. When negotiating a curve with unexpected bumps in it, the bike was very stable and held the line. When going over railroad crossings, you barely feel them, the shocks actually ABSORB the shock!

I will try some different settings as the 2nd riding season goes on in New England, but I don't want to go crazy changing the settings every week. These are sweet! No more pumping air back into the stock shocks every time I ride. I've only ridden one-up so far. The wife only rides in temps above 55, so I'll have to wait for Spring to set them up for two-up. Anyway, I'm glad I made the change and I'm ready to continue racking up the miles.

2011 FLTRU 35,000 miles and counting.

John
__________________
2011 FLTRU Jackpot header, K&N airfilter, SERT, Corbin, Klockwerks 12", Gold Tops & Springs & JRI B shocks.
2003 XLHS
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Fire-Medic's Avatar
Fire-Medic Fire-Medic is offline
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South, FL
Posts: 1,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
I've had the JRI 13 " B's on now for about 400 miles+. Howard spent some time on the phone with me explaining the operation and set-up of these shocks. It took me some playing around to get the sag set correctly for my bike because I had to do it alone. I put a zip tie around the shock rod to help measure and finally got it so I use 90% of the stroke over a varying surface ride of about 100 miles. My initial set-up was to set the sweep valve 14 clicks counter-clockwise from fully damped. (That is, I started by closing the sweep valve fully clockwise until it stopped. Being careful not to over-tighten it.) With this set-up, the bike felt like a high-end European sports car. You could feel the road, but it wasn't harsh, and it was firmly planted and stable in all conditions. That was a little rough for me, so I went out 2 more clicks to 16 counter-clockwise. I've had it on some highways, some twisties and smooth backroads and like it very much. When negotiating a curve with unexpected bumps in it, the bike was very stable and held the line. When going over railroad crossings, you barely feel them, the shocks actually ABSORB the shock!

I will try some different settings as the 2nd riding season goes on in New England, but I don't want to go crazy changing the settings every week. These are sweet! No more pumping air back into the stock shocks every time I ride. I've only ridden one-up so far. The wife only rides in temps above 55, so I'll have to wait for Spring to set them up for two-up. Anyway, I'm glad I made the change and I'm ready to continue racking up the miles.

2011 FLTRU 35,000 miles and counting.

John
Glad they're working out for you. I ordered the same ones and they should be in soon.
__________________
2013 RGU Ember Red Sunglo (Under Construction)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop Scoop is offline
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 175
Default JRI Sweep valve

I may have had a senior moment counting the clicks on the sweep valve. I have to check my settings. It could be 4 clicks then 2 more for a total of 6. I'll repost the correct number. I hate it when that happens.

John
__________________
2011 FLTRU Jackpot header, K&N airfilter, SERT, Corbin, Klockwerks 12", Gold Tops & Springs & JRI B shocks.
2003 XLHS
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop Scoop is offline
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 175
Default Sweep Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
I may have had a senior moment counting the clicks on the sweep valve. I have to check my settings. It could be 4 clicks then 2 more for a total of 6. I'll repost the correct number. I hate it when that happens.

John
Nope! No senior moment. My JRI B's have 44 clicks from fully closed to fully open. Set at 16 clicks Counter-Clockwise from fully closed. Just had to make sure.

John:rolleyes
__________________
2011 FLTRU Jackpot header, K&N airfilter, SERT, Corbin, Klockwerks 12", Gold Tops & Springs & JRI B shocks.
2003 XLHS
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Scoop's Avatar
Scoop Scoop is offline
Hangaround
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 175
Default

Good choice
__________________
2011 FLTRU Jackpot header, K&N airfilter, SERT, Corbin, Klockwerks 12", Gold Tops & Springs & JRI B shocks.
2003 XLHS
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Bull_Duck's Avatar
Bull_Duck Bull_Duck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N FL USA. 86 miles south of GA
Posts: 706
Default

After the 2012 holidays, early in the new year, hope to order either JRI or Olins shocks for my 2008 FLTR rear. Perhaps Progressive Monotube fronts.
__________________
2008 Road Glide 105th; 2008 FXDSE(2), FXSTD -SE
1998 FXD For Sale
Photo Albums
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 AM
chriscalabro chriscalabro is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Default

I led with the progressives on the front. would rank this as one of the best upgrades I have ever done. really changed the ride for the better. understanding that a fltr is already a great handling machine the front progressives made it unbelievable. like riding on rails. have not had the jri's on for very long as yet but they really tightened up the ride. granted the progressives on the rear were pretty much shot so I did not start from a level field. that being said the build quality and ride of the jri's have been as promised by Howard. I got a sweet deal on mine and had I been faced with paying the advertised amount I would have likely chosen the online since the remotes where cheaper that the jri's. but the jri's appear to be manufactured from a better grade of materials which may normally drive the price higher than the onlins. no matter what they are expensive. given my experience with the progressive 440's I would skip the interim step and go to the better shock up front. the 440's did not deliver the service I was expecting on the rear.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Bull_Duck's Avatar
Bull_Duck Bull_Duck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N FL USA. 86 miles south of GA
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscalabro View Post
I led with the progressives on the front. would rank this as one of the best upgrades I have ever done. really changed the ride for the better. understanding that a fltr is already a great handling machine the front progressives made it unbelievable. like riding on rails. ... and go to the better shock up front. the 440's did not deliver the service I was expecting on the rear.
Put in my order today for the Progressive Monotube stock height shocks.
Thank you for the advice. Hope to find the time over the holidays to install.
__________________
2008 Road Glide 105th; 2008 FXDSE(2), FXSTD -SE
1998 FXD For Sale
Photo Albums
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
FGOWI FGOWI is offline
Prospect
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Nope! No senior moment. My JRI B's have 44 clicks from fully closed to fully open. Set at 16 clicks Counter-Clockwise from fully closed. Just had to make sure.

John:rolleyes
So, when you think you had a senior moment and didn't....

Is it a senior moment??!!

Gonna check out the JRI's cause I have senior moments all the time!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Fire-Medic's Avatar
Fire-Medic Fire-Medic is offline
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South, FL
Posts: 1,212
Default

Got my JRI's on, was a nice morning with Howard and a couple of buddies there. What a difference in the ride, wow. Need to get some miles on these to break them in then re-adjust, was 2-up today and the bike rides like a cadillac. Worth every damn penny, and Howard was great to deal with as usual.

FM
__________________
2013 RGU Ember Red Sunglo (Under Construction)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


 


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.



Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
H-D, Harley-Davidson, and Harley-Davidson Logos are registered trademarks of H-D Michigan, Inc. Harley-Davidson in no way endorses or is affiliated with this site.