JRI Shocks Ordered - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Hangaround

Smile JRI B 13" review

I've had the JRI 13 " B's on now for about 400 miles+. Howard spent some time on the phone with me explaining the operation and set-up of these shocks. It took me some playing around to get the sag set correctly for my bike because I had to do it alone. I put a zip tie around the shock rod to help measure and finally got it so I use 90% of the stroke over a varying surface ride of about 100 miles. My initial set-up was to set the sweep valve 14 clicks counter-clockwise from fully damped. (That is, I started by closing the sweep valve fully clockwise until it stopped. Being careful not to over-tighten it.) With this set-up, the bike felt like a high-end European sports car. You could feel the road, but it wasn't harsh, and it was firmly planted and stable in all conditions. That was a little rough for me, so I went out 2 more clicks to 16 counter-clockwise. I've had it on some highways, some twisties and smooth backroads and like it very much. When negotiating a curve with unexpected bumps in it, the bike was very stable and held the line. When going over railroad crossings, you barely feel them, the shocks actually ABSORB the shock!

I will try some different settings as the 2nd riding season goes on in New England, but I don't want to go crazy changing the settings every week. These are sweet! No more pumping air back into the stock shocks every time I ride. I've only ridden one-up so far. The wife only rides in temps above 55, so I'll have to wait for Spring to set them up for two-up. Anyway, I'm glad I made the change and I'm ready to continue racking up the miles.

2011 FLTRU 35,000 miles and counting.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
I've had the JRI 13 " B's on now for about 400 miles+. Howard spent some time on the phone with me explaining the operation and set-up of these shocks. It took me some playing around to get the sag set correctly for my bike because I had to do it alone. I put a zip tie around the shock rod to help measure and finally got it so I use 90% of the stroke over a varying surface ride of about 100 miles. My initial set-up was to set the sweep valve 14 clicks counter-clockwise from fully damped. (That is, I started by closing the sweep valve fully clockwise until it stopped. Being careful not to over-tighten it.) With this set-up, the bike felt like a high-end European sports car. You could feel the road, but it wasn't harsh, and it was firmly planted and stable in all conditions. That was a little rough for me, so I went out 2 more clicks to 16 counter-clockwise. I've had it on some highways, some twisties and smooth backroads and like it very much. When negotiating a curve with unexpected bumps in it, the bike was very stable and held the line. When going over railroad crossings, you barely feel them, the shocks actually ABSORB the shock!

I will try some different settings as the 2nd riding season goes on in New England, but I don't want to go crazy changing the settings every week. These are sweet! No more pumping air back into the stock shocks every time I ride. I've only ridden one-up so far. The wife only rides in temps above 55, so I'll have to wait for Spring to set them up for two-up. Anyway, I'm glad I made the change and I'm ready to continue racking up the miles.

2011 FLTRU 35,000 miles and counting.

John
Glad they're working out for you. I ordered the same ones and they should be in soon.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Hangaround

Default JRI Sweep valve

I may have had a senior moment counting the clicks on the sweep valve. I have to check my settings. It could be 4 clicks then 2 more for a total of 6. I'll repost the correct number. I hate it when that happens.

John
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Hangaround

Default Sweep Valve

Quote:
I may have had a senior moment counting the clicks on the sweep valve. I have to check my settings. It could be 4 clicks then 2 more for a total of 6. I'll repost the correct number. I hate it when that happens.

John
Nope! No senior moment. My JRI B's have 44 clicks from fully closed to fully open. Set at 16 clicks Counter-Clockwise from fully closed. Just had to make sure.

John:rolleyes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Hangaround

Good choice
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM

After the 2012 holidays, early in the new year, hope to order either JRI or Olins shocks for my 2008 FLTR rear. Perhaps Progressive Monotube fronts.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 AM

I led with the progressives on the front. would rank this as one of the best upgrades I have ever done. really changed the ride for the better. understanding that a fltr is already a great handling machine the front progressives made it unbelievable. like riding on rails. have not had the jri's on for very long as yet but they really tightened up the ride. granted the progressives on the rear were pretty much shot so I did not start from a level field. that being said the build quality and ride of the jri's have been as promised by Howard. I got a sweet deal on mine and had I been faced with paying the advertised amount I would have likely chosen the online since the remotes where cheaper that the jri's. but the jri's appear to be manufactured from a better grade of materials which may normally drive the price higher than the onlins. no matter what they are expensive. given my experience with the progressive 440's I would skip the interim step and go to the better shock up front. the 440's did not deliver the service I was expecting on the rear.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscalabro View Post
I led with the progressives on the front. would rank this as one of the best upgrades I have ever done. really changed the ride for the better. understanding that a fltr is already a great handling machine the front progressives made it unbelievable. like riding on rails. ... and go to the better shock up front. the 440's did not deliver the service I was expecting on the rear.
Put in my order today for the Progressive Monotube stock height shocks.
Thank you for the advice. Hope to find the time over the holidays to install.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Nope! No senior moment. My JRI B's have 44 clicks from fully closed to fully open. Set at 16 clicks Counter-Clockwise from fully closed. Just had to make sure.

John:rolleyes
So, when you think you had a senior moment and didn't....

Is it a senior moment??!!

Gonna check out the JRI's cause I have senior moments all the time!!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Grey beard

Got my JRI's on, was a nice morning with Howard and a couple of buddies there. What a difference in the ride, wow. Need to get some miles on these to break them in then re-adjust, was 2-up today and the bike rides like a cadillac. Worth every damn penny, and Howard was great to deal with as usual.

FM