444 Shocks - Page 2 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Duck View Post
I keep reading praise about the JRI. But no details. And good about Olhins, but no explanation why so exceptional.

Please convince me (& provide me evidence to convince my wife) that additional expenditures on Ohlens are justified, and beyond them JRI. Please give me something to hang onto beyond "they are better." HOW ARE THEY BETTER? Please...
I can only go by everybody elses praise, I've read too many threads of people that had Progressive and went to Ohlin, all have said the Ohlins are much better, as far as the JRI, I spoke with a forum member who went from Ohlins to JRI, after listening to him, I'm sure the JRI is for me. I'll be calling Howard soon, just trying to do a few things for Christmas before I buy my toys.
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Life Member

Quote:
looking to lower my suspension, no lower than FLHX or FLTRX. And want to improve the ride on my '08 RG. 70% 1 up riding.

Not sure what benefits achieved if go for Ohlens over Progressive, or even more pricey. Please convince me.

Now considering
  • 31-2501 - Progressive Suspension Monotube Fork Lowering Kit for FLH/FLT (97-UP)
  • 444-4058C - Progressive Suspension 444 FST Series Shocks (Pair) 444-4058C

Tell me if I am on the right track.

Many thanks
The 08 and earlier FLTR is just as low as the FLTRX so there is no need to lower your bike. I keep my 08 the stock height because I scrap the floorboards enough as it is and you have to consider the bikes clearance when going over obstacles such as speed bumps. Also take into consideration that a lowered bike will have less suspension travel which can affect the ride and handling of the bike.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
The 08 and earlier FLTR is just as low as the FLTRX ....
That is interesting. Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Best I can tell the Progressives are engineered with Harleys in mind. Seems like the ohlins & jri's are engineered for crotch rockets & race bikes. No one on here has convinced me that any amount of re jiggering is worth the extra money, but I'm still open to an explanation...

2012 Road Glide Ultra / 2008 BMW R1200RT / 2002 Road King (sold)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Life Member

According to HD specs the 2013 FLTRX has a seat height of 27.1 inches and the seat height on a 2008 FLTR is 29.5 inches both year models have a ground clearance of 5.1 inches. You have to keep in mind that the 2008 FLTR came stock with the big thick touring seat that come standard on the Ultra Classic and not the low profile seat that comes on the 2013 FLTRX, after changing the seat on the 2008 FLTR to a low profile seat you come up with around the same seat height you would on the stock FLTRX. I use the HD low profile leather bucket seat on my 08 and I sit pretty low and it is comfortable as well. The big factor is the ground clearance 5.1 inches is not a lot of clearance so lowering the bike takes away from valuable ground clearance. JMO
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Life Member

I really have to disagree that the FLTR and the FLTRX are the same height, the FLTR has 13" shocks, the FLTRX has 12" shocks.....
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
According to HD specs the 2013 FLTRX has a seat height of 27.1 inches and the seat height on a 2008 FLTR is 29.5 inches both year models have a ground clearance of 5.1 inches. You have to keep in mind that the 2008 FLTR came stock with the big thick touring seat that come standard on the Ultra Classic and not the low profile seat that comes on the 2013 FLTRX, after changing the seat on the 2008 FLTR to a low profile seat you come up with around the same seat height you would on the stock FLTRX. I use the HD low profile leather bucket seat on my 08 and I sit pretty low and it is comfortable as well. The big factor is the ground clearance 5.1 inches is not a lot of clearance so lowering the bike takes away from valuable ground clearance. JMO
There was also a change to the frame in 09 so this is not a fair comparison......
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbell66253 View Post
I really have to disagree that the FLTR and the FLTRX are the same height, the FLTR has 13" shocks, the FLTRX has 12" shocks.....
The FLTR has 16 inch front and rear wheels and the FLTRX has a 18 inch wheel in the front and a 16 inch wheel in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
There was also a change to the frame in 09 so this is not a fair comparison......
The frame change was only to accommodate the wider rear tire.

The bottom line is the ground clearance did not change on either year model. The only difference is seat height and the 08 came with a different seat then the 2013 does and when you put typical seats on either model the seat height is not that different.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The ....frame change was only to accommodate the wider rear tire.
I agree, and have posted the same unpopular opinion elsewhere. BTW, I too have installed Progressive Suspension Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer

Please share your opinion on the Ohlens and JVI. And as you have Progressives, like to hear your valuation - as well as others.

Thank you

Last edited by Bull_Duck; 11-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Life Member

Quote:
I agree, and have posted the same unpopular opinion elsewhere. BTW, I too have installed Progressive Suspension Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer

Please share your opinion on the Ohlens and JVI. And as you have Progressives, like to hear your valuation - as well as others.

Thank you
I only have experienced the stock HD suspension and the Progressive suspension upgrades and the Progressive touring link, so I have no opinion on Ohlens and JVI. I can say that I am happy with the suspension upgrades that I have on my 08 and I would recommend the Progressive suspension upgrades to anyone. HD made the frame change in 09 to accommodate the wider rear tire just to compete with the metric bike manufactures and custom bike builders. Are the newer bikes more marketable I would say yes because the bigger rear tire and the wider rear fender looks better then the earlier models and it captures a younger market. As for the new frame vs the old frame I would take the old frame over the new frame but that is JMO