SERT or Power Vision - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Engine Related

Engine Related Engine Builds and more for Road Glides

Sponsored by Drago's Bike Works

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Hangaround

Default SERT or Power Vision

thinking ahead to a future performance upgrade and just wondring wich would give the best outcome a sert with a dyno tune or a power vision from fuel moto or some other option?
I suspect the dyno tune but just though I would see what you all thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Grey beard

The big "IF" with this question, and always will be, is "WHO" is doing the tuning.

There are very few dealers that have anyone who knows what they're doing, it's about the person more than the device. The Power vision has some nice features, and now the auto tune basic software is right on the unit, and you can also add wideband O2 sensors for real time tuning.

A Thundermax with auto tune is also a good unit if you don't want to be screwing around with your tuner.

The TTS is good, if the tuner is good, if not it's more complicated to "self-tune" with than the PV.

The SERT- like I said who will be using it.

You can pay $100/hour for a dyno tune and get a tweaked map saved in someones library from a previous customer who had similar upgrades done, I would take one of Frank's or Jamie's maps on a power vision over this any day of the week.

The first step, in my opinion, is to figure out if you're going to have it tuned professionally or not, if you are, the best advice is to go with the tuner the guy is most comfortable with, as this will most likely yield the best results.

If not getting the bike tuned, then it's about which system do "YOU" feel most comfortable with, i.e.: the features it has, offers, and how complicated you may or may not find the software and unit to be.

Either way, you get out of it, what goes into it.

Just my $0.02
FM
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Hangaround

To tell the truth I have no desire to jack with the tunner at all. I am just looking to do cams, exhaust, intake and tunner to get the bike to perfom well so I can spend my off time riding with an ear to ear grin.
As far as the type of ridiing. I like to tour mainly to get to the twistees. So sometimes it is at a fairly fast pace. Also the quicker I can get up to speed the bigger the grin.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikejockey View Post
To tell the truth I have no desire to jack with the tunner at all. I am just looking to do cams, exhaust, intake and tunner to get the bike to perfom well so I can spend my off time riding with an ear to ear grin.
As far as the type of ridiing. I like to tour mainly to get to the twistees. So sometimes it is at a fairly fast pace. Also the quicker I can get up to speed the bigger the grin.
Then "my" recommendation would be, if you don't have a reputable tuner in your area go with the Thunder Max with auto tune. If you do have a reputable guy, go to him and use whatever he uses.

Let us know how it turns out.
FM
Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Hangaround

thats kid of the way i was thinking but I did have a pcIII on one bike and it worked very well.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Hangaround

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnnyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikejockey View Post
I am just looking to do cams, exhaust, intake and tunner.
You can get all of those parts at Fuel Moto. They sell and support the Power Vision (PV). If you get everything at the same time, the PV will come with the proper tune in it. You install the parts, flash your stock controller with the PV and start smiling. And you will save about $500 at the same time.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Life Member

Power Vision with AutoTune ~ No DynoTune needed ~ FuelMoto will pre load a map and AutoTune will do the rest ~ I have a sert on my CVO RG and if I do not change it the Boutique would have to DynoTune everytime I made a change. No contest ~ PV for sure ~ have used the PCV and AutoTune on my last two bikes for 170k since 06.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Grey beard

An excellent synopsis -- the hand tuner tech I had for 7 years is now at a dealer which I will not enter. So I'm watching the research & comments on here for a chip burner to. Thnx, DOOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
The big "IF" with this question, and always will be, is "WHO" is doing the tuning.

There are very few dealers that have anyone who knows what they're doing, it's about the person more than the device. The Power vision has some nice features, and now the auto tune basic software is right on the unit, and you can also add wideband O2 sensors for real time tuning.

A Thundermax with auto tune is also a good unit if you don't want to be screwing around with your tuner.

The TTS is good, if the tuner is good, if not it's more complicated to "self-tune" with than the PV.

The SERT- like I said who will be using it.

You can pay $100/hour for a dyno tune and get a tweaked map saved in someones library from a previous customer who had similar upgrades done, I would take one of Frank's or Jamie's maps on a power vision over this any day of the week.

The first step, in my opinion, is to figure out if you're going to have it tuned professionally or not, if you are, the best advice is to go with the tuner the guy is most comfortable with, as this will most likely yield the best results.

If not getting the bike tuned, then it's about which system do "YOU" feel most comfortable with, i.e.: the features it has, offers, and how complicated you may or may not find the software and unit to be.

Either way, you get out of it, what goes into it.

Just my $0.02
FM
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Default My .02....

ThunderMax will not set itself up.....it needs help. Works well when set up but..... SERT (what I use) TTS Mastertune both have self tuning capabilities (albeit limited to just fuel/VE) but you don't want to fool with it yourself so you are back to the Power Vision and the Revolution Performance EMS. Look into them both and decide for yourself. I personally prefer a flash tuner so I side with the Power Vision. Furthermore my tuner switched from the SERT to the Power Vision for his own personal use and that speaks volumes to me. Hope that helped.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogieluvr60 View Post
ThunderMax will not set itself up.....it needs help. Works well when set up but..... SERT (what I use) TTS Mastertune both have self tuning capabilities (albeit limited to just fuel/VE) but you don't want to fool with it yourself so you are back to the Power Vision and the Revolution Performance EMS. Look into them both and decide for yourself. I personally prefer a flash tuner so I side with the Power Vision. Furthermore my tuner switched from the SERT to the Power Vision for his own personal use and that speaks volumes to me. Hope that helped.
The Rev perf unit is a no go on the newer bike, just an FYI.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.