Salvaged title - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > General Off-Topic Discussions

General Off-Topic Discussions Non-Road Glide Topics

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Hangaround

Default Salvaged title

Just curious if anyone here has bought a bike that had a salvaged title. Mechanically, has anyone had any issues? Looking at possibly buying an 05 with 10k miles needs tank, front fender, and headlight ...asking price 6500 bucks..

Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide007 View Post
Just curious if anyone here has bought a bike that had a salvaged title. Mechanically, has anyone had any issues? Looking at possibly buying an 05 with 10k miles needs tank, front fender, and headlight ...asking price 6500 bucks..

Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Salvage title is not the end of the world as long as the price is right. I saw an 11 RG Ultra that had a salvage title ~ NO DAMAGE ~ but needed a repaint on the lower items ~ Owner had run over wet road paint and attempted to clean it off removing the clear off saddlebags and some of the other paint. Raised enough hell with his insurance company they totaled the bike ~ and resold on Copart or one of the other sites with a salvage title... I would have bought it but was short on cash at the time and am not sure what the final sale price was.
2012 FLTRXSE 113 Build ~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 13" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals Jet Hot Black, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro940's & Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Grey beard

Nothing wrong with a salvage title as long as the price is right and $6500 for an 05 IMHO is way too much. I would be very leary if the seller is saying that thats all the bike needs. Insurance companies will not total a vehical unless the repairs needed exceed 75-80% of retail value. With that being said theres more then likely more damage then the seller is admidting to.
Now heres the catch 22 to a salvage title vehicle. Banks will not do a vehicle loan on a salvage title. If you have exceptional credit you can get a personal loan at a higher interest rate or pay cash. Also insurance companies will not write a full coverage policy on a salvage title. Some wont even insure them at all.

Last edited by tmd; 11-29-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd View Post
Also insurance companies will not write a full coverage policy on a salvage title. Some wont even insure them at all.
That's the killer right there.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Grey beard

Way too much money. If you look around you could find one with similar miles in really good condition for a couple grand more. You're going to put more than that int ofixing/replacing all those parts and still end up with a salvage title bike. That WILL make a difference if you try to sell it later on...
Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Life Member

Price is about 2 grand to high. You can personally flip a salvage title back if you fix everything correctly and have motor vehicle inspect the bike. Pain in the ass but I have done it a couple times. Different states will probably vary but does not hurt to inquire about it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Life Member

I agree that the price is too high. Gotta have room for the repairs, which likely extend beyond cosmetics, and the necessary steps to get a restored title.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 AM

I've thought of buying a salvage titled bike before, to save money. Since then, my own bike has been totalled in an accident with a car, and repaired. My motor was ok, but my forks, triple tree, mirrors, headlight, handle bars, clutch and brake levers, foot pegs, shift and brake pedals, tank, speedo, saddle bags and supports, and both fenders were damaged. The tank and front fender are now brand new, but most of the other parts were replaced with used parts from a motorcycle salvage yard. The handle bars, shifter peg and brake peg have been straightened. Nothing has been done about the frame, even though there was a direct impact to the bottom of the of it. I'm now sans the saddlebags and the rear fender is still damaged, but my bike has been inspected, and I have a clean title. I still do not trust the frame, shifter peg and brake peg to not fail me while I'm out riding.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 AM

Yes I did buy a salvage bike. The main thing I guess is that you should SEE the vehicle so that you can estimate the damage and how much monet you'll need to spend to repair it. If you buy a bike online (as I did, I was looking for mine at at online wrecked car auctions but they usually sell other vehicles as well) you need to make sure that they have pictures.