Bars/forks are not strait going down the road - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Hangaround

Default Bars/forks are not strait going down the road

I have noticed recently that my forks are not strait while going down the road. I was in an accident last fall and did not notice the issue prior to the accident. It is possible that I am just more aware of the bike after the accident as I am going over things with a fine tooth comb.

While the bike was down I fully disassembled the forks and checked them with a strait edge (uppers and lowers). I am fairly confident that the forks are not bent but you never know. I have had a friend pay attentions while following me and they can not see any evidence of the bike tracking down the road crooked.

Could there be another alignment issue elsewhere in the bike causing this? I checked the rear axel and visually it looks to be evenly spaced at the adjuster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM

I would be inclined to check that the fairing is alligned properly. I've noticed that quite a few of them are not straight from the factory.
If youre not having any other issues ie. pulling, uneven tire wear. I'd be willing to bet that the fairing is the issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Hangaround

Thanks killintime, I have considered that possibility especially since the fairing bracket was damaged in the accident. I had a good bit of work in straitening that bracket. I am confident that the fairing is strait. I have measured the thing nine ways to Sunday. The misalignment is most visible when looking down the front of the tank and I cant really see any way the tank would be mis-aligned. I am really leaning toward a rear tire or swing arm issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Hangaround

I've noticed the same thing with my 2012. Everything looks straight when I'm sitting on the bike when it's stopped. But as I go down the road it looks like the bars are cocked a little. I wondered if it had to do with the camber of the road?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Hangaround

Another good point SurlyBoy, I wondered the same thing so I shifted over the other side of the lane so I was riding on the other side of the crown in the road. Same angle in the same direction on that side. Keep the Ideas coming. BTW tire ware has been consistant so far. I put about 5000 miles on since fixing the bike.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Life Member

I don't know what bars you have on your bike but : after putting 12 1/2 apes on my bike it looked like the whole situation was out of line. I road it that way til I couldn't stand it any more. I then replaced the riser bushings with urethane bushings and it fixed the problem. Just a little wear of the OEM bushings (rubber) will give a different view of alignment. JMO.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Hangaround

Ill check the riser bushings but I don't think that is the issue, as the upper tree looks to be tweaked along with the bars.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by killintime View Post
I would be inclined to check that the fairing is alligned properly. I've noticed that quite a few of them are not straight from the factory.
If youre not having any other issues ie. pulling, uneven tire wear. I'd be willing to bet that the fairing is the issue.
My 2012 has a crooked fairing from the factory. Next time the outer comes off I'll be straightening the fairing. Drives me crazy!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Hangaround

To see if its the fairing, try this. Measure from a mounting bolt that is the same on each side, like the swingarm pivot shaft mount to the top corner of the back of the fairing. If it comes out the same for each side the fairing is straight. If not you know what to fix, if its good, you might have a slight "twist" in your forks. That can be fixed usually by losening the lower triple tree tube clamps and a simple twist on the handlebars to straighten. Re torque the bolts and test ride. It may take a few times to "straighten" the forks.

In my case I know that my fairing isnt straight yet....but I am getting closer.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Hangaround

Oh yeah.....your crashbar could be tweeked too. That would make the fairing not straight also.