2000 to a 2008 swingarm pulley help - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Tech Area

Tech Area For Tutorials and Instructional Materials

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Hangaround

Default 2000 to a 2008 swingarm pulley help

I changed out the swing arm to a 2008 a year ago finally got around to going to a bigger tire,here's my problem.

I have a 11/8 pulley and belt, here's the question, The pulley I purchased has the same bolt pattern however when I put the pulley on the wheel and mounted it, it's the exact opposite of what I thought would happen it's too F#$% wide the pulley just touches the swing arm......lol.

The way I see it I have two options, Machine 1/8 off of the Pulley where it mates to the wheel or search out a pulley that will work, you guys have any idea what pulley will fit.
2000 FLTR, Mikuni HSR42, 2007 Swingarm, Andrews 26 cams, hydraulic cam chain tensioners, high output oil pump, 12" Monkey bars, HID headlights, custom dynamics LED's turn signals front and rear, tour pack LED's, LED brake light, Custom Dynamic brake turn module, 2007 turn signals, Cee Baily 26in windshield, Rockford Fosgate amp, JL speakers, Alpine head unit, detach king tour pack, custom painted by aggressive designs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Life Member

The 08 is the first year that HD put the rubber compensators in the drive pulley/wheel hub so that may make a difference in the spacing. The 08 also used a 1 inch wide belt. Did you change your front pulley to accommodate the narrower belt or are you running the wider belt. You may have to look into a 07 rear pulley it may fit your rear wheel better.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Hangaround

07 pulley is 1", but its a 66 tooth not a 72. Didnt have an issue on my 89, but did change my gearing, I now do 2900rpm at 70, instead of 3200rpm. what year rear wheel are you using?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Hangaround

Thanks for the replies, I was told the pulley is a 70 tooth 11/8 not sure what year to be honest I purchased it off of e bay a year ago.

I work in Aerospace so I've decided to bring it to work and machine 3/16 off of the flange that will get me back to the same spacing as the 11/2 pulley.

as far as the front sprocket goes from what I've read that one can stay the same so I'm using it.

I picked up a 139 tooth 11/8 belt from the for sale section on here a while back It's brand new so after I get the pulley done I should be on the roda again.

While I had her down I replaced the tranny main shaft bearings and all of the seals with Cometic seal, hopefully, she''ll be good for another 40,000 miles.
2000 FLTR, Mikuni HSR42, 2007 Swingarm, Andrews 26 cams, hydraulic cam chain tensioners, high output oil pump, 12" Monkey bars, HID headlights, custom dynamics LED's turn signals front and rear, tour pack LED's, LED brake light, Custom Dynamic brake turn module, 2007 turn signals, Cee Baily 26in windshield, Rockford Fosgate amp, JL speakers, Alpine head unit, detach king tour pack, custom painted by aggressive designs.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Life Member

The stock rear pulley on the 08 has 66 nubs and the front pulley has 32 nubs. In 09 HD went to the 68 nub rear pulley to give the bike a little more torque. The stock 07 rear pulley has 66 nubs as well but it is a different pulley then the 08 pulley because the 08 has the rear wheel compensator. You may need to either get the 08 rear wheel or the 07 rear pulley to make things work, if the machine works doesn't work.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Hangaround

I'm trying to stay with the stock gearing, by using the pulley that I have which is a 70 tooth stock I believe is a 70

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Last edited by Sealdoggy; 11-29-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Hangaround

I ment a 70 tooth for stock not 72, and the front pulley doesnt matter as to width, it will work with any belt size.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Hangaround

Got her done last night, the pulley fit perfect afte I machined .180 off of the back side.
Looking forward to getting out and riding again unfortunately, we have an abundance of rain right now which is a good thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.