Custom Bars Atlanta area - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Controls & Handlebars

Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM

Default Custom Bars Atlanta area

Picked up a new 2013 Roadglide around a week ago. I previously had a 2010 RGC. On that bike I had tried the factory bars, khromewerks (I think it was) +2 bars and most recently, heritage bars. Although the heritage bars were the best of the three, I was never completely comfortable. I felt like the bars were a hair low and a bit more of a reach than I wanted. In addition, my right wrist would get numb. It wasn't severe enough that it limited my riding, I rode cross country several times, but a bit annoying nonetheless.

Several of the dealers in the Atlanta area now have display racks from a company called 'KST Kustoms'. I was speaking with a parts guy at HD Atlanta and he told me this company not only makes similar styles of bars currently on the market for much less (Yaffe comes to mind) but that they will also custom make bars to the customers specifications.

I looked them up online and found their website. It didn't specify custom bars so I shot them off an email last night. I received a response, they told me where the office was in Bremen, Ga (20 miles from my house) and told me to pay them a visit.

I went in this afternoon and met with Brett Kent. The website specified that they are 'by appointment only' and being that it was in an industrial park and obviously a manufacturing facility and not a storefront, I wondered how 'welcome' I would be. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find Brett very welcoming and extremely helpful. They have a small mock-up bike that you can sit on and try different bars. We also took some of their bars out to my bike to get a rough idea on the positioning. Brett did tell me that they absolutely will custom make bars to customers specs.

Although I like the look of Yaffe-type bars, and they do have these, we both agreed that based on my feedback of different bars i've tried, the apes probably would not give me the pullback i'm looking for. Being that the heritage bars were the most comfortable that I've tried, we came up with custom measurements where I will have a bit more rise and pullback and also the bars will be angled a little more at the ends. The bars are also 1 1/4 inch rather than the standard 1 inch and I went with satin black. It's hard to describe and I can't give measurements, 'cos I don't remember exactly what we came up with. I paid in full for the bars and this also surprised me. In spite of being custom made, the cost was $171.20. In addition, Brett said that they are big on customer satisfaction and said if I end up not being happy with them they will work with me to get a set that are exactly what I need. He also said that HD Atlanta will get paid a 30% commission for bringing them the business. I thought this was great as there would be no way HD Atlanta would even have known that I went there and ordered the bars.

For anybody in the market for new bars these guys might be worth some consideration, particularly if you're in the Atlanta area. I was blown away by how well they worked with me and look forward to getting the bars and giving them a try. Brett said to expect about 3 weeks for the bars to be ready. They don't do the installations so I'll take 'em to a local place where I've had the others installed unless I just decide to suck it up and try it myself.

Their website is kstkustoms.com. For the record I have no affiliation with the company or any employees there. I'll update with information on when I receive the bars and how they work out for me.
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Prospect

I saw there bars at Greenville HD and they had put a set on a new RGC and I was impressed. Great feel on the mayhem bars.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

Ryan
more mods to come
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Site says bars are polished, not chrome !!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppa1 View Post
Site says bars are polished, not chrome !!
True....I guess I should have said polished....I meant chrome look
2013 Roadglide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl. Madstad 13 inch windshield, KSTKustoms 16 inch 'Mayhem' apes, Mustang lowdown seat, Ohlins 2-2a rear shocks, Comfort rear crash bars, Airwing tourpak rack, 360 adjustable highway pegs, 'bright ass light' taillight, Boom speakers and amp, Daymaker headlight, Motolights running lights...buncha other crap
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Well, the jury is in..........

I had the bars installed that were custom made to my specs. The quality was great. Unfortunately I realized that I wasn't as up on handlebar lingo as I thought I was

When I had them made I had asked for more 'pullback', thinking this essentially referred to the distance that they come back towards you. That's not the case as most of you probably know. Anyhow, the replacement bars were FAR BETTER than the factory bars but unfortunately they were a bit wide for my liking.

I contacted Brett again and told him I wanted to give it another shot. I went in with the intention of changing the measurements and hopefully getting it right this time, however I again was drawn to the mayhem apes as were mentioned in this post by another member. I decided to go with the standard mayhem 16 inch bar in the polished finish. Brett had told me that if I wasn't happy with those I could simply return them so I figured it was worth a try.

I had them installed yesterday at a local shop. Brett worked with me on the price because of the previous purchase and the shop, who had installed about 6 sets of bars on my 2 road glides (they love seeing me coming lol) worked with me on that price also so it didn't sting as bad.

Wiring the bars was smooth as butter on the left bar where there are less wires. The right side was tough for the installer. He attempted to pull the wires through about 8 times without success and was convinced that the joint at the bottom may have had some material that was obstructing that 'curve'. What he estimated to be a 2 hour job at most ended up taking him over 8 hours. Fortunately, his shop is normally closed on Mondays but because I'm a regular and he had nothing going on that day he came in just to get the bars done. His patience was amazing but ultimately he ended up having to cut the wires at each end and thread them through and then meticulously solder everything back together. The curve at the bottom of the bar isn't particularly noticeable on the road glide so his recommendation would be to have them made without that curve.

After having them put on I took it for a quick ride (weather was rainy and crappy so I pretty much just rode it home). I've been through many bars as I mentioned. My initial feeling on these bars is that I may have finally hit a home run. They felt comfortable and I love the looks as I always have. I only put about 20 miles on them as I was meeting a friend. As soon as I get a chance later this week I'll take them for a longer ride.

The 16 inch measurement is actually from 'point to point'. Although 16 inch apes sound pretty high, I don't think these look or feel high at all. I would kinda consider them more like 12-14 inch if that makes sense.

Again, very pleased with Brett and the team at KST Kustoms. Without a doubt they do care about customer service and satisfaction. I told the shop where I had them installed (Slammerz Cycle Haven) that if they get anybody else that are considering these bars I can bring my glide up there for them to take a look at them. They have a small display rack now in their shop showing these bars.

Last edited by SharkBite; 01-18-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: measurement change
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Prospect

Great write up...thanks.
I just had a set of 1 1/2" made up. It took fabricator nearly 10hrs to design, weld, smooth the welds....I hope they are comfortable because they seem a bit wide when I mocked them up. Should have installed next week.
If I don't like, I'm going with the Sinister Road Glide Drag Bars(back to basics)
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Hangaround

Tey probably are 10" as when I measure point to point on my Yaffes' they measure 13 1/2 but are actually 10" when measured center to center the correct way, They look great regardless, enjoy!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamer007 View Post
Tey probably are 10" as when I measure point to point on my Yaffes' they measure 13 1/2 but are actually 10" when measured center to center the correct way, They look great regardless, enjoy!!!
Thanks guys....the UPS guy just delivered some toys a day earlier than it showed online they would get here. I guess this afternoon I'll be installing the comfort crash bars and the air wing tourpak rack
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Life Member

Nice right up. I've seen they're bar in HD Atl as well. I'm glad to know we now have a reputable option for bars, them being in Atl area is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Life Member

I may have to check them out, been thinking about going to a taller bar

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

2014 GYPSY TOUR--Getting my kicks from Rt 6!