Ricor Intiminators or Race Tech Gold Valves - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Suspensions

Suspensions Discuss all you Suspension needs and wants here!

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Ricor Intiminators or Race Tech Gold Valves

I'm running Progressive Monotubes and they are much better than stock, I also run Progressive springs and heavier oil in my Softail and it was better than stock. Overall I'm happy with the improvement but looking at options.

I'm thinking of trying out a valve change for a winter project. What are your opinions on the Ricor Intimidators vs Race Tech Gold Valves? I'd probably use a set of Progressive Springs with them since I have a set on the shelf.

Thanks for any opinions in advance
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
2005 Annv FLSTFI, Stage II 95 kit, lowered 2" - SOLD
2004 Road King Custom - SOLD
2004 Sportster 1200 r, Stage 1 - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaran View Post
I'm running Progressive Monotubes and they are much better than stock, I also run Progressive springs and heavier oil in my Softail and it was better than stock. Overall I'm happy with the improvement but looking at options.

I'm thinking of trying out a valve change for a winter project. What are your opinions on the Ricor Intimidators vs Race Tech Gold Valves? I'd probably use a set of Progressive Springs with them since I have a set on the shelf.

Thanks for any opinions in advance
I have run the mono tubes and the gold valve emulators, i think the mono tubes offer a better ride. This was in my RK with a two inch drop.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Location: Somewhere In the Great Norther Part of the Lone Star State

let me offer this:
The race tech gold will have to be adjusted to get the ride just right for each individual taste, so don't be afraid to go into the forks and set up the dampening until you get it right for your desired riding...
The Ricor's don't need to be adjusted so its almost like one setting for all riders if you will...

Now with the progressive springs
I have not read of many if any using the progressively wound springs with there golds or there Ricor's for that matter...
It can be done and you would be setting ground breaking information
Both the golds and Ricor's have recieved praise with the single wound springs vs the progressively wound springs
Give it a try and keep us informed

One more thing if you are to do the work your self be sure to set up the sag correctly or the handling will suffer...
be sure you measure the sag before you start and after you finish...
Don't sweat it if the sag is not what your seeking but be prepared to take the forks apart until its right for you personal weight and riding requirements

per R/T the fork travel is 136mm
so you want to shoot for 1/3 of the stroke
that's 45.33333
R/T recommends 40mm for a start
I personally shot for 44-45mm so I went into the forks numerous times to get it set up (this is a 2 man job you will sit on the bike while another measures it accurately and then you will adjust accordingly) yes it is time consuming but well worth it in the long run
genaric measurements from others will differ due to there weight...
also pay attention the weight of the fluid
not all fluids are created the same even though they all advertize that they are the same weight
If you are patient the oval outcome will be rewarding to say the least
If you just take and throw some pre-load spacers measurements in there and not set up the sag between f1-f3 for your weight the outcome will be less desirable and handling will/could suffer
this is a other wise easy project just a bit time consuming to take the forks out and apart...
If you need some help I will be more then happy to give what I can to help with what I have learned thru out my learning experience with the geometry of the suspension...feel free to e-mail
best of luck and most of all enjoy it
paul
(don't ask me how I know)
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Paul

Thanks for info and the offer of more help if needed. Thats one of the great things about this and other good forums, a lot of informed people willing to share their experience.

I already have the progressive springs and I do my own work so I think Ill give them a try in around the new year and Ill post results.

Thanks !
2011 FLTRX, 103 Power Pak, Stage 1 with Power Vision and V & H Power Duals, SE A/C, Cee Bailey TRSSC 15", Progressive 940 rear,Mono Tubes Front, C & C Fastback Seat and some extras in black here and there

Previous HDs
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Location: Somewhere In the Great Norther Part of the Lone Star State

Xaran
Hows this upgrade working out for you?
meaning the progressives and which valve did you go with?
paul
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbowhunter View Post
Xaran
Hows this upgrade working out for you?
meaning the progressives and which valve did you go with?
paul
Hi Paul

Thanks for checking in. I still have not given them a try. Overall Im pretty happy with the improvement using the montubes (stock lenght). I did buy a set of Ricors off e bay at the end of the year and may still install this year just to give it a try.

Ill post the results if I get motivated to do it.

its a lot easier to just ride than find the time to tinker with the bike when its running OK.

Previous HDs