cvo engine heat question - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures

General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures Post general Road Glide discussions with photos.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Prospect

Default cvo engine heat question

So I like to ride occasionally in shorts/tee and hit the road. I noticed with my CVO Fatbob, that the engine was way to hot to do this, and would actually burn you leg without touching the engine.

I would guess my road glide wont be any different. Has any made engine adjustments to help with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Life Member

I imagine you could install the heat shields that go between the tank and seat, and they would help some, also stage 1 with a good tuner and CATless exhaust. Personally I never ride in shorts, but that's my choice.
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Life Member

I own a CVO Road Glide. It definitely throws more heat. I added the HD Heat Shields and I'm adding a parade fan.

You don't know until you CVO
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Grey beard

My skunk got a Thunder Max and headers and mufflers from Frank @ Dragos, and my stock 103 on the new bike is MUCH hotter than the CVO was and the skunk did not have the heat deflectors and this bike does.

You need to get rid of the cats and get a good tune! Period!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-Medic View Post
My skunk got a Thunder Max and headers and mufflers from Frank @ Dragos, and my stock 103 on the new bike is MUCH hotter than the CVO was and the skunk did not have the heat deflectors and this bike does.

You need to get rid of the cats and get a good tune! Period!

With a lack of knowledge in mechanics, you would suggest getting higher performance headers and mufflers, and then having the computer retuned? Does Harley do that, or would I need to try and find a motorcycle shop near me?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalbot6983 View Post
With a lack of knowledge in mechanics, you would suggest getting higher performance headers and mufflers, and then having the computer retuned? Does Harley do that, or would I need to try and find a motorcycle shop near me?
You don't have to buy "high peformance " headers per say, but why not if going through the hassle.

The issue is the catalytic converter on the newer bikes is inside the factory header, and not in the mufflers like it used to be. That is what is restricting the air flow and trapping the heat, and its right there underneath your right leg.

You can look up some of the DIY how to's and de-cat the header on your own, find a muffler shop to do it, or buy a stock 2009 header and get the extensions /adapters for the O2 sensors.

My opinion, and I'm certainly no expert, is that if I am going through all this hassle, I might as well get as much out of it as possible.

You can buy headers from Fuel Moto, Drago's, V&H, etc, then there is do you want true duals, an "x" pipe or crossover, or a 2-1 system.

But the main thing, is getting rid of the catalytic as far as the heat is concerned. How you choose to go about it, is your decision. Everyone likes different setups, I had an X pipe on my Ultra Limited, my CVO had true duals, and now I'm going with a 2-1. There is no end all be all of how to get the performance out of the bike, the main thing is choosing components that complement each other, and making sure the "person" doing the tuning actually knows what they are doing, or going with a tuning device that is user friendly and comes from a reputable company with a good base map. Those are decisions, you will have to research and make on your own, you will get 5 million different answers on the forums, mostly based off of what people have on their bike. Few people have actually had first hand experience with different setups, and this is where talking to the shops comes in handy, because they have seen it all.

Like I said, I'm no one special, not an expert, can just offer advice based on what I have gone through with the bikes I have owned. At the end of the day, what matters is that YOU like what's on your bike, and that you're happy with how it performs.

Just my $0.02
FM

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 11-29-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Grey beard

Location: Main Residence Perth Western Australia, Secondary Varna Bulgaria, Satellite Houston

The Fireman has just about covered all the main points, more than enough to keep you busy for a while.

Veritas Vos Liberabit{the truth shall set you free}
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMastiff View Post
I own a CVO Road Glide. It definitely throws more heat. I added the HD Heat Shields and I'm adding a parade fan.
If you're going to get a fan, check out www.wardspartswerks.com he's on HD forum, his fan cost less and looks much better than the HD parade fan, it also out performs it. I have one and am very pleased.
2010 FLTRX, Rev Performance 107, S&S 570G cams, Head work, Crank trued and welded, timken conv, PM 21" Wrath, TMax, Dragos Dragula, Top Shop bags and fender, Holeshot LED's, Carlini Bag Drag bars, too many more things to list, and suject to change.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Grey beard

My 2011 CVO Road Glide - even after tuning - was brutally hot -- melted the right leg of my Aerostich pants. DOOF
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
My 2011 CVO Road Glide - even after tuning - was brutally hot -- melted the right leg of my Aerostich pants. DOOF
Was the catalytic removed?