08 Electra Glide - Cruise Control Problem - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Controls & Handlebars

Controls & Handlebars Controls and Handlebars for Road Glides

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Default 08 Electra Glide - Cruise Control Problem

Cruise control was on the bike when I bought it. Worked great for 10 months now it works intermittently. I'm always getting a check engine light (even if I don't use the cruise). Code shows up P0577 Cruise control input high.

I clear the code and the next ride same thing again - check engine light. From reading the old post here, notice the handlebar switch seems to be the common problem. Going to order a new switch but don't have a parts book (only the FSM). (hopefully it's not the cruise module or ECM $$$ )

I'm in Canada and used to order my HD parts from dealers in the US but this year MOCO put a stop to shipping outside the US so I'm stuck with Canadian dealers and their high prices!!!

Dealer is a 2 hr drive away so I'm going to phone it in. Get 5% off if I provide the part # - anyone have it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Life Member

Not sure exactly which model you have but you can find all your parts listed here at Ronnie's online micrfiche.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Thanks, but already looked there - no part numbers.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Life Member

Click on the part then proceed to the check out and you will see them after they are in your cart.
2012 RGU / Big Blue Pearl / Woods TW222 Cams / Fuel Moto Ceramic 2-1-2 Headpipe / Fuel Moto 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers / Fuel Moto Stage 1 A/C / Power Vision Tuner / Heritage Bars / Seat Mod by MCC /Rider and Passenger Bead Riders / BAL Tail Light / 12" & 14" Windvest / Sancho's wings / Iron Aces Phone Mount / Rear Fascia Upgrade / Avon Grips / Mean Mug by Gas Capital Customs
Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Thanks, part #28 is this one I need and it's not listed as available. I'll have a look on fleabay.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Life Member

If you have no luck on fleabay try contacting member PC PaiN here,

http://www.roadglide.org/member.php?u=229

He is the parts manager at Horny Toad HD and has done right by everyone I have heard from myself included.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Wooden Nickel

Are you having any issues with your speedo not working correctly either. The reason I ask is I had all those symptoms and when I removed the magnetic sending unit from the top of the transmission and cleaned off all the filings from the end, my speedo worked fine, my cruise control functioned properly and the check engine light went out, That was over 2 years ago and it continues to work like a charm.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM

UPDATE:

Got the bike out of winter storage. bought a new set/resume switch but don't need it. Found the drop down test for the cruise control:

Easiest way to check all dropout functions of your cruise control.
1. bike off, run/stop to run
2. push set/resume to set and hold.
3 with cruise on/off switch to on, turn on bike
4. cruise indicator light should be green, release set switch, light should turn red.
5. push to resume and release, light should turn green then red
6. push throttle closed and release, light should turn green then red
7. push rear brake pedal and release, light should turn green then red
8. pull front brake lever, light should turn green then red
9. on models with a clutch/neutral starter lockout, pull clutch lever, light should turn green then red whichever switch does not turn the light green, is your bad one.
if light will not turn green at all and you have followed ALL directions and tried multiple times, your set/resume switch is bad.
If light stays green even after releasing set switch, one of the dropout switches is stuck closed, usually the roll off throttle switch. unplug this and try again.
Make sure brake light will not turn on without using brakes (wobbly brake lever, stuck rear brake light switch etc.)

Everything checks out OK but still getting the check engine light and P0577 code. Haven't checked the sensor on the tranny but will tomorrow ( 2 wires to a large 5/8 nut ? )

What else can I check??