Shark week III - Saint George Utah 2013 -July 30 to Aug 1 - Page 26 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > General Forum Discussions > Road Glide Gathering > ARCHIVES-SWIII St. George, UT

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4me View Post
Count me in too. Did a anyone find housing in Sturgis? If so, any openings?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
tons of housing in and around Sturgis, but I think a handful of us might be taking a different approach on the post SW3 ride to sturgis....one that might include the Cali HW1 or some other amazing scenic ride.

As of now the feeling is to take a handful of days to explore some of the best roads / scenery the west has then end up in the Sturgis area for a day or 2ish.

D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Grey beard

Man those pictures make me want to leave tomorrow.

GLIDE OR DIE!!
TWO WHEEL MICHIGAN
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckMedic66 View Post
Man those pictures make me want to leave tomorrow.
me2!!

Just realized your not far from me RedNeck. We'll have to plan some rides this summer. I'd like to get to the UP on a long weekend.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Ive found a ton of places & sites I wanna see. Definitely wanna hit Vegas strip at night and if Im that close to marking Ca off the list Ive got to go there too! Then if Im hitting Ca, might as well see the ocean while Im there. Damn! Gonna need at least a month to fit all this in....lol

05 RG 'Lymey'
11 RGU 'Clyde'
Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Grey beard

Im with you guys. There is so much cool stuff to see and do I might just retire and spend a month out there. Oh wait I can't do that yet. Damn!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Shark of the Month October 13

Location: On the shore of a lake in the middle of nowhere with more moose than people for neighbors.

I can't make it this year due to work and personal considerations, but I lived in the foothills of Boulder, Colorado area for 10 years and owned a sport tourer with a ton of torque and there is no state in the country that I know of that has the scenic mountain pass roads like Colorado. Ride through Estes Park and up and over the 12,000+ peak of the Rocky Mountain National Park. With any luck you'll see a group of Big Horn sheep, or a few elk, or whatever you might be lucky enough to see. Then head west through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 to Grand Junction and head south on the western slope to Pagossa Springs, Ouray (the highlight of the tour!) and on through Silverton and into Durango. Check out the Federal cliff dwellers cave like dwellings near the 4 corners area. The 4 corners area is the only place in the country where 4 states intersect. You get to cross off 4 states on your map in one minute! It's a wonderful riding state. So many wonderful destination rides: Pike's Peak, The Cathedral at the Air Force Academy; Garden of the Gods; Red Rocks amphitheater; and on and on.

Yup, you could use a month!

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods_Maine View Post
Ride through Estes Park and up and over the 12,000+ peak of the Rocky Mountain National Park. With any luck you'll see a group of Big Horn sheep, or a few elk, or whatever you might be lucky enough to see. Then head west through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 to Grand Junction and head south on the western slope to Pagossa Springs, Ouray (the highlight of the tour!) and on through Silverton and into Durango.
We did this route in 2005 on our way to Albequerque, and intend to do at least some of it on the way to and/or from SWIII.
I've gotta do some research on the best route, I'm thinking running down through the middle of Utah, just to be sure we don't miss anything there, and maybe running back home through more of Colorado.
Pisser is there's almost no way to get from here to there without wasting a day in Nebraska or Kansas. Western Iowa isn't wonderful either for that matter.Basically takes 2 days to get to the good riding from here.

Tenative route is Grand Island Neb first nite, Fort Collins or Estes park 2nd nite, Price Utah 3rd nite, then to on St George on the 4th day. Ends up being about 400mi each day more or less.

Last edited by tdkkart; 11-29-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Life Member

I've got the beginnings of a route picked out. Leave St. Peters on Friday after work. Stop for Dinner with my Daughter in Columbia. Stop overnight in KC. That is what I did this year going to SWII (I took the long way there). Then make a long distance run thru Kansas, on Saturday, to Denver. All on I-70. Sunday is a run from Denver to Grand Junction, mostly on I-70 but with time for a few side trips. Monday will be Grand Junction to St. George. Probably staying on I-70 up to US-89, then south from there. According to Google, if I get off the Interstate at 89, it adds only about 20 miles to the trip, but takes an additional 2 hours. Sounds good to me.

For those wondering, I organized it around free Hotel rooms. The only night I pay for along the way is in Grand Junction. Gotta economize where I can.

Leaving Friday, it will be across Northern Arizona/New Mexico to Albuquerque. That pretty much ends the scenic portion of the trip. From there, it is I-40 to Oklahoma City, then I-44 back home. Bookin it on the Interstate.

I figure the coming and going will add 5 states to my map. I may follow a Lime Green bike down to Nevada and California to add a couple more while there.

Is it time to go yet?

242 DAYS!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Life Member

Is it time to head out yet??!!??

2014 GYPSY TOUR--Getting my kicks from Rt 6!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee View Post
Is it time to head out yet??!!??
I hope not, my ride is in pieces!!!