GEICO vs Progressive - Page 3 - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Additional Related Discussions > Motorcycle Insurance

Motorcycle Insurance Let's list our insurance companies here, what we pay them and if your experience with a certain company has been good or bad.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Administrator

currently on Gieco because it was the best price, but now I'm wondering...

A few questions for you more experienced insurance peeps...

I dont see anywhere on Gieco to increase my add on coverage... do I have to make a call or and I stuck with the default? Was never an issue in the past as my ride was all factory... but its undergoing some big changes this winter...

attached is a screen shot of my current coverage and some changes that Im thinking about.... any opinions?

D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insurance.JPG (73.3 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglide View Post
hoyl crap you're right! thanks for posting this...I just got the HD with progressive when I bought the bike,about 800 a year..I just checked progressive and can get the same policy for 160 bucks. what a difference! now to find out when my expiration date is.
when i bought my sportster back in 02, i went with progressive through hd. when the policy came up for renewal, i checked straight through progressive and the rate was about $100 more annually (which on an 883 is close to double). needless to say, stayed with hd.

i currently have 3 bikes on my policy, 02 sporty, 10 road glide, 12 road glide. i pay less than $1000 per year, have full replacement on the 12, and have about 10 x the states minimum coverage requirement. also, a $150 deductible.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmize View Post
currently on Gieco because it was the best price, but now I'm wondering...

A few questions for you more experienced insurance peeps...

I dont see anywhere on Gieco to increase my add on coverage... do I have to make a call or and I stuck with the default? Was never an issue in the past as my ride was all factory... but its undergoing some big changes this winter...

attached is a screen shot of my current coverage and some changes that Im thinking about.... any opinions?

D.
I've had some recent phone conversations with GEICO because my 2013 RGC came in last month. They told me my motorcycle policy comes with $2K coverage for mods and addons and I can increase that coverage if I want but I don't remember what the additional cost per additional $1K extra cioverage would be. But since I'm already above $2K in mods I guess I need to call them also. So, I know you can increase your coverage for mods but suggest you calculate how much coverage you need and give them a call.

Louisville Joe
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Grey beard

sorry,I need to edit my post..I went with Geico cause it costs half as much for better coverage...plus,the progressive claims service is nothing to write home about either,I almost had a claim from my driveway incident,and it took their adjuster almost 2 weeks to even call me.and then they told me if I did the work myself they'd only pay for parts.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglide View Post
sorry,I need to edit my post..I went with Geico cause it costs half as much for better coverage...plus,the progressive claims service is nothing to write home about either,I almost had a claim from my driveway incident,and it took their adjuster almost 2 weeks to even call me.and then they told me if I did the work myself they'd only pay for parts.
my experience has been the total opposite of that. i had to make 2 claims on my sportster, never for an accident, but for dropped damage (first time ratchet strap popped loose, second time someone tried to steal it and dropped it in the parking lot). the adjuster was there fast, paid me msrp for my vance and hines big shots, even though i bought them used for much less, and paid me for labor. i replaced what i needed to replace and even had some left over to do some mods on the wife's bike.

i've personally never used geico, but here in this area, their rates were right in line with progressive. and i've seen 2 people i know who had to make a claim, and right after they paid their claim, geico cancelled their policies. they don't mind taking your money, but don't like giving it back i guess.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Life Member

I think the first two years of insuring a new bike are the worst.

FOREMOST dropped my premiums by $20 month, on their own this summer.

they are part of Allstate $560/yr. 100/300 500 deductibles
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Grey beard

Progressive for past 15 years. We pay $865 for two bikes and $250 deductible with roadside. Both bikes insured for full value plus accessories.

2012 RGC BIG Blue Pearl SE Stage II 95hp 107tq
2011 RS-S Can Am Spyder 106hp 77tq
Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 PM

I am a geico adjuster and never not paid a claim. Acually pay sometimes for things that wasn't acc related. As long as it is possible it could be related. I have had repeat customers that always gets in a wreck or someone scratched or keyed there veh. Geico has not dropped them as a policy holder.. there was one time i remember that this one guy had a claim every 2-3 weeks and took forever for them to drop him. And to honest with you. They should have dropped him way before that cause i had evidence he was damaging his own vehicle to get money. So long story short they are a good company. And acually have them myself on my bike. And before someeone says its because i work for them. ....... i have usaa on my other vehicles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Hangaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlideRider View Post
I would not have GEICO if it was given Free!
Quote:
GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company. It was started by a retired Politician. It was the only insurance company that was allowed to sell insurance to Service members on base, and at High rates and would not sell to some. The refused to sell Motorcycle insurance to some and refused to pay for claims from others. They were the only game in town until a lawsuit proved it was a monopoly.

I will NEVER buy from GEICO, EVER!!!
Quote:
Were you an Officer??
You sure you're not referring to USAA? USAA didn't start insuring enlisted personnel until 1996. Prior to 1996 USAA, a company started by 25 officers, sold exclusively to military officers. Used to insure my cars through USAA; I now use GEICO for my home and cars. Interestingly, the individual who started GEICO used to work at USAA and chose to target federal employees and military service personnel.

I have insured my motorcycle through Progressive for years primarily because they offer the best rates. I pay $325 a year for full coverage with a $1000 deductible.

When I retire and move to Virginia, I will be checking with GEICO to insure all my vehicles.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. ~Proverbs 27:17