1999 FLTRi efi to carb - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Troubleshooting for Road Glides

Troubleshooting for Road Glides List your Road Glide problems here, and DR. Ruth will answer them.

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Default 1999 FLTRi efi to carb

Hi Guys, just changed over the bike to a carb new cv, had a few problems with the M &M so took the plunge, used an ignition harness from a carbed 2002 RG, a new 34278-99 module, took the guts outa the tank, pingel petcock and she fired straight up. I have left the cam sensor (disconnected) until I fit a suitable bung, fitted the baro sensor on the manifold , my question is the engine lamp is coming on, I have tried to get codes as before with the on/off ignition routine, I suppose that wont work with the new module fitted? I have no security system fitted and no cruise , so minimal extras, I can isolate the light with the black/yellow from the module but wonder if there is another option? as I said bike seems to be running fine, yet to roadtest. Just need a bit of advice re the check engine lamp. Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Life Member

When I converted my '98 Ultra over to Carburator, I just took an '01 ignition harness, used the wires, followed the scamaticsm, and made a "Stock" harness. I then bought a '98 ignition ECM. The only things that pluged in the Ignition harness was the VOES, Crank Sensor, coil, ECM and the main harness. My Check Engine light never came on.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:46 AM

Default Re engine lamp

Thanks, seems that some do the conversion and get a lamp others not? as you there is now only the crank sensor/baro plus the obvious connections, so not too concerned just wanted to fully understand the reason for the lamp, thanks for the feedback, have a good xmas. Dave
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Grey beard

My money is on the Harley ignition module and your existing TSSM not happy with each other. Have you pulled codes?

I converted to carb on my 2005 and it was flawless. I used an aftermarket ignition module and the factory "carb" harness. I would recommend using an aftermarket ignition module anyway as the stock module can't be modified without spending more money on the Harley Ignition Tuner software (if you can even find it...)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageglide View Post
My money is on the Harley ignition module and your existing TSSM not happy with each other. Have you pulled codes?

I converted to carb on my 2005 and it was flawless. I used an aftermarket ignition module and the factory "carb" harness. I would recommend using an aftermarket ignition module anyway as the stock module can't be modified without spending more money on the Harley Ignition Tuner software (if you can even find it...)
I used the Harley Police ECM. It had a better ignition cure and increased the RPM limit to 6,200 RPM.
Worked great with the Screaming Eagle cam, Intake and exhaust.

Worked great.

Vietnam Veteran, PGR, Widow's Son, "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Grey beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlideRider View Post
I used the Harley Police ECM. It had a better ignition cure and increased the RPM limit to 6,200 RPM.
Worked great with the Screaming Eagle cam, Intake and exhaust.

Worked great.
In your case that police ignition module was different, the old style. VOES is used with a 2 curve box. The 99 and up Carb bikes have ignition module which has Maps like the EFI bikes, and a MAP/Baro sensor.

Evo's run great so there's no surprise there. ;-)

Dax - you pull codes yet?