My mid ranges are blown as well - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Roadglide.org Site Sponsors Forums > J&M

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Life Member

Default My mid ranges are blown as well

Thanks John and as alway the great customer service @ J&M took care of the problem. John has some great people working for him.

Last edited by ironmark; 01-03-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Location: Murfreesboro TN by way of Freeburg IL, Naples Italy, Oscoda MI, Ramstein AB GE, and Dover PA

I considered J&M, but went with HawgWired (Christmas present so haven't installed and heard yet). Glad I did after these posts I am reading. Good customer service and a warranty is nice, but it suks to have to tear down to replace even at the vendors expense.

2011 RGU/Black - Rinehart True Duals, SERT, K&N Filter, RF PBR300X2,
Hawgwired ZX's, Pioneer G1644R, J&M Hidden Antenna
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 AM

it is always a bad deal to have to open a fairing to replace speakers & or amplifier components under warranty or not ,,,, good service from the manufacturer or not ,,,,,, it is still a hassle ,,,,,,,

'J&M has NOT been without its own problems in this bagger audio business ,,,,,,, it is one thing to make the system LOUD, quite another to make it LIVE mile after mile down the highway with the system running at full volume ,,,,,,

Over the past 35 years, we have constantly upgraded our product line and performed many hours of testing on our speaker and amplifier designs to make sure that they will give the user many years of trouble free service ,,,,,,,

Things are still not 100% perfect but we are rapidly working in that direction ,,,,,,,,,,

Anyone that has had a performance bagger audio system knows what I am talking about, regardless of the brand you choose ,,,,,,,,

You can be assured however that 'J&M is constantly looking for ways to increase both performance AND durability for the Harley Bagger audio system ,,,,,,,, we currently lead the way, and as long as I am here, I will make sure that we always do ,,,,,,,

Whenever I can be of service, I am just an email away ,,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,, see the latest at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzDOMX32gA ,,,,,
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Life Member

I called J&M on Thursday 12/27 and talked with one of their techs and I offered to buy a new set of speaker grills and then send in my broken speaker grills in for the warranty. This way I figured that I would have a spare set and I wouldn't have a hole in my fairing while waiting for the warranty return, I could put my 5x7 Hog Tunes speakers back in but they are in Michigan and right now I am in Arizona. Well you can NOT purchase just the speaker grills from J&M you need to purchase the complete speaker system, now it would seems to me that these parts should be available to the J&M consumer and WHY is the tweeter and mid range speakers built into the grill it would make sense to make these speakers removable so they could be replaced without replacing the complete grill. Each speaker as I see it is rated up to 175 watts and I am using the 250 watt amp and if that is divided by 2 that is 125 watts a channel so the speakers have a extra 50 watts capacity per channel then what the system puts out so there should be no way to over power these speakers to the point of failure IMO
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 PM

ironmark ,,,,,,,

shoot a private email to me at john@jmcorp.com with your current shipping/mailing address, and I will get a set of grills out to you on Monday ,,,,

now to the issue of speaker power handling, vs actual amplifier power ,,,,,

always remember that it is DISTORTION that destroys a speaker ,,, NOT high power alone ,,,,,,

A speaker rated at 50w will tolerate 100w almost forever, if the distortion is kept at a very low level ,,,,,

Just the opposite is true with a speaker rated at 100w, amplifier output power at 50w RMS, but the amp is driven into high distortion/volume levels ,,,, the speaker will last a very short time before failure ,,,,,

in your home system, if the volume is turned up far enough to distort, you turn it down because it does not sound good ,,,,,

for the system in your car or truck, if the volume is turned up far enough to distort, you turn it down because it does not sound good ,,,,,

The Harley Bagger is a very unique audio system environment ,,,, all of us literally ride down the highway, for hours on end, with the volume level adjusted to 75 - 100% of what is available ,,,, and much of the time the system is driven way up into distortion levels, but the rider cannot tell it is distorting because of the speed and wind noise ,,,,,

It is for these very reasons that I have personally spent so much time making sure that the 'J&M packaged amplifier gain controls are properly adjusted ,,,,,, filming videos on HOW to properly adjust amplifier gain controls, etc ,, so that you CAN ride down the highway, use the AVC control if you want to ,,,, adjust the system volume to maximum if you want to ,,,,, and the system will LIVE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

These new amplifiers coming out that allow the user to remotely adjust amplifier gains at-will are cool ,,,,, but adjust the amplifier gains improperly and you WILL blow out speakers, I don’t care what brand you are using or what their rated power is ,,,,,,, adjust the amp gain controls improperly, and drive the system into distortion, and you WILL blow speakers ,,, that simple ,,,,,,,

The 'J&M ROKKER series amplifiers are THE MOST POWERFUL available for your bagger audio system ,,,,, but if the amp input gains are improperly adjusted, NO SPEAKER, regardless of brand or power rating will last more than about 20 hours playing at the highest volume levels ,,,,,,

I have personally tested most all of them ,,,,,, Hog Tunes, Hawg Wired, Biketronics, Focal, just to name a few ,,,,,,, NONE of these are BETTER than the 'J&M ROKKER XT series speakers, and most of them are NOT as durable as the 'J&M ROKKER XTs ,,,,,,,

And that is really the whole point ,,,, “I” am not put on this earth to “bash” anyone else’s product ,,, but I AM the president of 'J&M Corporation, and I make SURE that we are offering THE very best product available for you Bagger audio system ,, and if we are not, I make the changes necessary to make sure that we are ,,,,,,

I have been doing this for 35 years, and plan to be at the helm for as long as the lord allows (((little bit old & fat now))) ,,,,,,,,,,

This is the latest video on our StreetGlide system and is one of THE BEST I have heard either sitting still or cruising at 80mph+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzDOMX32gA ,,,,,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.