Nightrider XIED or VIED, differences? - Road Glide Forums
Road Glide Forums

Go Back   Road Glide Forums > Road Glide Specific Discussions > Intake and Exhaust

Intake and Exhaust Intake and Exhaust Systems for Road Glides
Sponsored by: Cobra

Advertisement
Order T-Shirts Here

Motorcycle Superstore

Make sure to Visit our Sponsors. They keep this site FREE!

Partner Links

Motorcycle Superstore

Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Hangaround

Default Nightrider XIED or VIED, differences?

New to the Roadglide world and wanting to do a few upgrades to my 2013 FLTRX for example exhaust, air cleaner, just looking to get the bike to run cooler, sound better, and possibly perform better.
I am going to start with a set of American Customs slip ons, that I just purchased from a forum member. I am going to gut the cat out of the header pipe and add a higher flowing air cleaner set up. I have been looking at Nightriders products and I am a little confused on which one I need. According to their website: I think I need FL-VIED-10, but if I read the info correctly if I am running a head pipe with the cat gutted I need to use FL-VIED-10TFF. Anyone have any experience with a similiar set up and if so what were your results? What is the difference between the XIED and VIED? is it just one is variable(adjustable) and one isn't? Which one could I put on a stock bike now and slowly do my upgrades? I don't want to purchase one that would not work down the road as I slowly added upgrades. Would I still need to have it tuned with these upgrades? Seems like reading Nightriders info that a "tune" isn't necessary, but if you talk to the dealers they say a tune is necessary if you do both an exhaust and ac upgrade. Hoping to get some answers from guys that have done these things in the real world and aren't trying to sell me something that isn't really necessary. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

you can run either the FL XIED 10 or VIED10 , the VIED is adjustable in AFR the X is not , and yes if you dont have the cat you need the TFF

I use the XIED with my bike and am very happy with it

JtB
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Hangaround

JtB
Do you know can I run the VIED with the stock header and cat now and then after I remove the cat continue to run it? I am hoping to just make this a one time upgrade.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Administrator

I would think not , best to ask the guys at nightrider

if you were willing to lose a few bucks , you could always get the VIED , then sell them here or elsewhere when you gut and get the TFF

JtB
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Hangaround

I checked Nightriders website and it looks to me that I can use the FL-VIED-10 in my stock bike and should be able to continue to use it as I progress with the upgrades to the exhaust and AC. Here is the info from the listing on their website:

"A simple, adjustable AFR, plug-n-play fuel management upgrade that fits 2010 and later Harley-Davidson Touring motorcycles, and 2012-2013 Dyna, Softail and V-Rod. The FL-VIED-10 needs nothing more than a small screwdriver to fine tune the fuel mixture on your bike.
The FL-VIED-10 can be used on stock bikes, or those with upgraded exhaust and air cleaners.The FL-VIED-10 is recommended for motorcycles that have full exhaust system upgrades or stock exhaust headers with catalytic converters removed. The ability to fine tune closed loop the fuel mixture based on your upgrades make the VIED a universal installation for Riders. You can quickly adapt the mixture to your upgrades and riding style using a simple screw driver."

If anyone has experience with this set up, I am curious as to what you thought of the results.
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 PM

I am running with Fl-X.I.ED on my 09 for now. These help only in the closed loop mode. I am satisfied with them until I do the modifactions I m saving up for. Then I wont need them.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-31-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrider View Post
I am running with Fl-X.I.ED on my 09 for now. These help only in the closed loop mode. I am satisfied with them until I do the modifactions I m saving up for. Then I wont need them.

Did those keep your bike from pinging?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 PM

My bike never pinged I did it for the heat to help the engine last longer.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 AM

Mine pinged badly
I added these and it stopped.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Hangaround

I'm using the VIED set to 50% with hi-flow a/c, slip ons and de-catted headpipe and bike runs fine. Much cooler too. Even before I de-catted they helped with the heat some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.